Coaching Carousel

Paultzman post=461266 said:
Patrick Ewing today;

”Any announcement about my future will come from me or Georgetown University. First and foremost, I am not a quitter. My plan is to be back next year coaching at my alma mater and bringing this program back to prominence.”

Hmm. Either he is going put on his own terms, i.e. fired rather than quit, or he is putting them in a tough spot in order to retain him.

Interesting.  Marcellus recently posted that this year was the most fun he has had playing basketball.  If I understand the rules correctly, I believe he can play an additional year.  However, it would have to be with San Diego since he used his one-time transfer without sitting.

Last edited:
Just thinking that if he decides to use another year he will literally have played for 4 HC's in 5 years: Mullin, Anderson, Scholl and ?.

JohnnyFan post=461875
Interesting.  Marcellus recently posted that this year was the most fun he has had playing basketball.  If I understand the rules correctly, I believe he can play an additional year.  However, it would have to be with San Diego since he used his one-time transfer without sitting.

fordham96 post=461876 said:
Just thinking that if he decides to use another year he will literally have played for 4 HC's in 5 years: Mullin, Anderson, Scholl and ?.

JohnnyFan post=461875

So he’s the reason these coaches get canned!  /media/kunena/emoticons/smile.png

I look forward to Young's departure hopefully slightly hurting UConn's local recruiting.

Young, Holloway and Neptune names to watch over the next year or 2. Have some connections to Fordham and they have concerns about keeping him after next season. 

After loss to Tenn yesterday Crean expected to get axe

UGA Athletics Director Josh Brooks has declined to comment on Crean’s coaching status during the season. But events have trended toward this inevitable outcome for a while. After four years as the Bulldogs’ men’s basketball coach, the buyout clause of the six-year, $19.8 million deal that Crean signed with Georgia when he came to Athens in March 2018 reduces from $7.2 million to $3.2 million at season’s end.

[URL]https://www.ajc.com/sports/geo...basketball-season/HJUAG6Q4EFEPHFSKJS52FLU76Q/[/URL]

Well regarded assistants are no more than a high risk proposition first their initial coaching gigs, although they are a slightly better bet than the guys who never coached before at the college level (e.g. Mullin, Ewing and others).   NR should not have gotten a D1 gig at SJU and likely should never been granted an interview here - he should have re-initiated his HC career at a mid major. 

Guys who are highly regarded mid major coaches generally need a breakthrough year where the major conference schools will take a good and long look at them.   Digger Phelps and Jay Wright fit that profile.   When you think about it though, the guy who should have gotten something better was Cluess, who in 10 years at Iona, secured the NCAA automatic bid 8 times, and won his conference the other two times (when Manhattan upset and won the conf tourney)    I know he would only consider local colleges which with his resume would only have meant the Seton Hall or SJU job, possibly the UCONN job (but that probably was too far for him).

Selfishly.... should things sour to a point where we are looking for a new coach (hope we aren't looking) - hope Speedy/Halloway/Neptune are still there.

I know the Anti Mullin Crowd would protest but , if he could be pried loose from the NBA Mavericks , Greg St Jean would not be a bad candidate . I believe he was well thought of by Cragg and the Players while he was a Asst Coach and actually did much of the sideline strategies during game time outs .   Other names mentioned Claxton , Holloway , Neptune , King Rice , etc.  could all be in the Mix when the time comes to choose a CMA. successor .  Probably in a year or 2 .   Anyone know what his buy out is and how many years he was extended ?  

SLYFOXX1968 post=462060 said:
I know the Anti Mullin Crowd would protest but , if he could be pried loose from the NBA Mavericks , Greg St Jean would not be a bad candidate . I believe he was well thought of by Cragg and the Players while he was a Asst Coach and actually did much of the sideline strategies during game time outs .   Other names mentioned Claxton , Holloway , Neptune , King Rice , etc.  could all be in the Mix when the time comes to choose a CMA. successor .  Probably in a year or 2 .   Anyone know what his buy out is and how many years he was extended ?  
I love Greg and would sign up for any of his long term goals, including returning here as HC, but this isn't the first place a HC should work as a HC.   Perhaps when the job opens up again, he will have that experience, and would be a great hire.

I wonder if Todd Golden at San Francisco will get interviews for any major college jobs. He is only 33 and will have the Dons back in the NCAA's for the first time in almost 25 years. Kyle Smith did a good job before him and moved on to Washington State where they have been very competitive this season.

panther2 post=462147 said:
mjmaherjr post=462137 said:
Panther sent me this link. I guess will Wade will never make our list. Lol    [URL]https://www.espn.com/college-s...ball-football-programs-wade-scrutiny?platform[/URL]=amp

There is also a Sports Illustrated story regarding Will Wade that also states that an LSU booster gave $180,000.00 to the father of a football player. The playing field in regards to recruiting isn't level.
That's nothing.  We paid Slice $3 million to bring in no one!

Back