Coaching Carousel

Maryland is a way better job than Georgia, so if he's not leaving Iona for the Terps, Georgia will be getting a similar tweet as soon as Crean is fired.

You guys realize he's holding out for the St. John's job, right?/media/kunena/emoticons/cool.png

THE PITINO TRAIN PULLED OUT OF THE STATION 3 YRS AGO...SEEMS THE CLEAN GENE PEOPLE HERE WON..  THEY WERE WRONG..NO SCANDALS AT IONA.CAN YOU STILL WIPE THE SLATE CLEAN AT CONFESSION?..THIS PATTERN AT SJ PREVENTED CALIPARI TOO.. AT ONE TIME,SJ WAS THE ONLY CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY NOT TO GET FEDERAL AID BY HAVING THE WORD= CATHOLIC= IN ITS BYLAWS..THE OTHER CATHOLIC UNIVERSITIES WERE STREET SMART..

MainMan post=461179 said:
Paultzman post=461130 said:
Rick Pitino

I love coaching at Iona, and I’m totally committed to my players.

Seems legit.
That’s what coach Beard said before he left Texas Tech for Texas. Who knows what the truth is with these guys? 

Chris Beard stated flatly he was not taking the Texas job?  When?

Jermane Attoil post=461192
Paultzman post=461130
Rick Pitino

That’s what coach Beard said before he left Texas Tech for Texas. Who knows what the truth is with these guys? 

Not saying Pitino never leaves Iona, but do not think there is any way he takes Maryland job after that statement. But I've been wrong before, just ask my wife.

A few years ago just as he was retiring SEC Commissioner Mike Slive basically told his members to "get serious about basketball."

What he meant was he did not want the SEC to simply be about football.  He wanted Men's Basketball to be elite as well.  Start putting money into facilities and recruiting and of course hiring coaches.  They may not get him but you can bet Georgia will make a run at him.  And $$$ will not be an object.  But then again Kevin Plank was ready to open the vault for him as well.  

BOB BARKER post=461187 said:
THE PITINO TRAIN PULLED OUT OF THE STATION 3 YRS AGO...SEEMS THE CLEAN GENE PEOPLE HERE WON..  THEY WERE WRONG..NO SCANDALS AT IONA.CAN YOU STILL WIPE THE SLATE CLEAN AT CONFESSION?..THIS PATTERN AT SJ PREVENTED CALIPARI TOO.. AT ONE TIME,SJ WAS THE ONLY CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY NOT TO GET FEDERAL AID BY HAVING THE WORD= CATHOLIC= IN ITS BYLAWS..THE OTHER CATHOLIC UNIVERSITIES WERE STREET SMART..

I didn't know about the Federal aid but I did know about them being the only college in NY to not be getting state aid back some time ago.  Didn't realize until just recently that this had changed.

fordham96 post=461203 said:
Chris Beard stated flatly he was not taking the Texas job?  When?

Jermane Attoil post=461192
Paultzman post=461130
Rick Pitino

It's also what Mike Anderson said a few hours (I'm exaggerating) before he left Missou for Ark. Lots of them do it, but only some get called out on it. 

Last edited:
NCJohnnie post=461205 said:
Not saying Pitino never leaves Iona, but do not think there is any way he takes Maryland job after that statement. But I've been wrong before, just ask my wife.
No need to ask your wife -- we have your posts. :)

I am sure Pitino has a list of schools he would leave for.   And, if one of the schools comes knocking, the statement he made about staying with Iona won't cause him to pause even one nanosecond. 

Several weeks ago I was told the fact that Pitino was NOT coaching at a Power 5 school was evidence that he was toxic so why would someone like SJU ever try to hire him.

JohnnyFan post=461220
I am sure Pitino has a list of schools he would leave for.   And, if one of the schools comes knocking, the statement he made about staying with Iona won't cause him to pause even one nanosecond. 

fordham96 post=461221 said:
Several weeks ago I was told the fact that Pitino was NOT coaching at a Power 5 school was evidence that he was toxic so why would someone like SJU ever try to hire him.

JohnnyFan post=461220

Clearly a market for Slick Rick.

fordham96 post=461221 said:

JohnnyFan post=461220
A decade ago Kelvin Sampson was also considered "toxic" by many. Nobody but a moribund Houston program that hadn't won an NCAA Tournament game since 1984 would take a chance on him. Now they are perennial final 4 contenders.

You either want to win and hire guys like Pitino or Sampson or you're content with mediocrity.

Last edited:
JohnnyFan post=461220 said:

This statement is designed to keep current iona players out of the transfer portal and not impede recruiting efforts. A few weeks ago he threw in a comment about NBA jobs.  Everything Pitino says is done for a purpose that benefits Pitino.

Last edited:
When coaches make broad general statements like "I am not actively looking for another job" and "I am very happy at my current job" that of course always leaves open the possibility of leaving.  Coaches rarely if ever actually NAME THE SCHOOL that maybe pursuing them and say they have no interest in that school.

Chris Beard never said "I have no interest in leaving Texas Tech for Texas."  

Now that doesn't mean he won't take any job but why would you ever name a school directly to shoot down any rumors if you actually believe you would have interest in that job?  There are 1000 ways you can make a statement that generally shows your commitment to your current job without actually using the name of the school in question unless you really have no interest in that job.

I agree JF, but I don't think that the list is as long as many may think. 

Patrick Ewing today;

”Any announcement about my future will come from me or Georgetown University. First and foremost, I am not a quitter. My plan is to be back next year coaching at my alma mater and bringing this program back to prominence.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Monte post=461236 said:
I think there are three or so that aren't even on a real list in his head, but if any of them opened and came calling, they are so historic that he'd probably take it.

I think Iona has an inkling of what would make him leave, and they are pretty comfortable with their position.

They hired him when he was completely toxic, and he's had some very public loyalty issues. If rebuilding his image actually means more than money at this point, he's at Iona until something really knocks his socks off. And if Maryland didn't knock his socks off, it's going to take something really special.

(Now watch him take that Georgia job shortly after my post /media/kunena/emoticons/grin.png)

L J S A post=461307 said:
Monte post=461236 said:
I think there are three or so that aren't even on a real list in his head, but if any of them opened and came calling, they are so historic that he'd probably take it.

I think Iona has an inkling of what would make him leave, and they are pretty comfortable with their position.

They hired him when he was completely toxic, and he's had some very public loyalty issues. If rebuilding his image actually means more than money at this point, he's at Iona until something really knocks his socks off. And if Maryland didn't knock his socks off, it's going to take something really special.

(Now watch him take that Georgia job shortly after my post /media/kunena/emoticons/grin.png)

How crazy would it be if he got the Knicks job

Back