Coaching Carousel

paultzman

2023 $upporter 2022 $upporter
UMass has made the decision to part ways with head coach Matt McCall after five seasons, sources told me and @PeteThamel. McCall will coach against Fordham tomorrow and, at this point, is expected to finish out the season. Minutemen currently 12-16 overall, 5-11 in the A-10.

@jeffborzello 

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time UMass won an NCAA Tournament game was in 1996 with Marcus Camby and John Calipari.

They must be longing for the good old day.  I just can't imagine what that must feel like.

Last edited:
Dave LoRe post=460778 said:
Great backcourt on that team
​​​​​

Edgar Padilla
Lou Roe
Dana Dingle (Bronx product and current NY Lightening Coach)
​​​​​​​

JohnnyFan post=460776 said:
The last time UMass won an NCAA Tournament game was in 1996 with Marcus Camby and John Calipari.

They must be longing for the good old day. I just can't imagine what that must feel like.

[attachment=2501]giphy.gif[/attachment]

Umas interesting program they were the elite of the A10 with Temple back during the Calipari era, but never really turned the corner since. Which leads me to the greatest player in the history of Umass basketball Dr. J , does any of the old timers on here know if Louie recruited him ? I read that Umass was the only school that offered him a scholarship? how did we miss out on the great Dr J?

Last edited:
19854ever post=460798 said:
Umas interesting program they were the elite of the A10 with Temple back during the Calipari era, but never really turned the corner since. Which leads me to the greatest player in the history of Umass basketball Dr. J , does any of the old timers on here know if Louie recruited him ? I read that Umass was the only school that offered him a scholarship? how did we miss out on the great Dr J?

Nothing new there. 
Aside from Chris, none of the greatest players to ever come out of NY went to STJ.

(and I have a feeling this is gonna be it's own thread soon)

Last edited:
Rick Pitino is a UMass grad btw

Paultzman post=460802
Rick Pitino is a UMass grad btw

Was told Georgia is going to make a big push for Pitino when they part with Crean.

Kevin Keatts will be back coaching NC State next season per the AD

19854ever post=460798 said:

Yes, we recruited Erving. Two players from frosh team drove out to his Nassau County home, drove him back to the steakhouse, nearby on Union Turnpike, where they all had dinner with Louie and John Kresse, then the coaches took Julius to a Knick game. This was the usual recruiting routine. There were at least two rumors as to why he chose UMass over SJU.
Sorry, I guess this comment should be on "Old Guys" topic.

Last edited:
Rick Pitino

“The University of Maryland is one of the premier institutions of higher learning. It's basketball program can be among the nation’s best. I hope they find the next great Gary Williams. I love coaching at Iona, and I’m totally committed to my players. It will not be me.”

How come you never hear King Rice's name come up for any of the major conference jobs?  Good record at Monmouth (another solid year this year) including multiple post-season berths.  If I was an AD looking for a coach, I'd be looking at him.  Why no love?

Paultzman post=461130 said:
Rick Pitino

“The University of Maryland is one of the premier institutions of higher learning. It's basketball program can be among the nation’s best. I hope they find the next great Gary Williams. I love coaching at Iona, and I’m totally committed to my players. It will not be me.”

Could be legit....but also could be like the kid that always said they did horrible on a test, even thoguh they studied for days, and acts surprised when teacher hands back scores and gets a 100% while their friends didn't.

Back