Champagnie

Too bad for Champ. Was really pulling for him. Went from unranked high schooler to getting a chance few people get to make an NBA roster. Great guy. Great story.

He could head overseas and make some really good money or try and to hit the G league again and get picked up. He is not done by a longshot in my book. Best wishes for Champ as he makes his way in life.

It is a shame that he hasn't stuck in the league YET. However, there was very little chance of him getting drafted last year and should have stayed one more year. Not sure who he was listening to and I get that he was leaving after an amazing year but scouts are going to scout and he needed to improve a lot to make the league.

Hopefully, he can make a living overseas.

Champ was a perfect example of a kid who should have stayed in college as long as possible working on his game. Too many people fill these guys heads with the NBA dream. So few make it. I don’t know if waiting would have made a difference but I didn’t see the need for him to rush. In retrospect it’s not up to us it’s his future. I wish him luck.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.fcgi?college=stjohns

List of sju players 56 in total who have played in the ABA or NBA. If you look at a two - three seasons from 1998-2001. The aforementioned list of redmen players was impressive.The LC generation of players was winding down their careers while the frashilla coached guys were coming in.

It’s amazing how far the brand has fallen in 20 years.

Are you trying to say there has been a drop off in the talent level at St. John’s in the last 20 years? I hadn’t noticed, interesting. 🤪
Not only that, but there has also been a drop off in the coaching level over the past 30+ years. In case you haven't noticed.

List of sju players 56 in total who have played in the ABA or NBA. If you look at a two - three seasons from 1998-2001. The aforementioned list of redmen players was impressive.The LC generation of players was winding down their careers while the frashilla coached guys were coming in.

A few interesting tidbits. Surprised to see Mo in the top 10 all time in points scored and Jakarr in the top 20 in games played. At this point Champagnie is the only STJ player to appear in the NBA without scoring a point. Also noted that Kevin Loughery was drafted twice. For those really old guys who might have been around, how exactly did that work?

The unfortunate fact is that the SJU program has been on a slow but gradual decline from its top five status eighty years ago to where it stands today. I feel like we are the Pittsburgh Pirates of the big east. We are members of a great league who can’t compete for the top rungs but have to be satisfied trying to finish sixth.
We think we know what prevents us from improving our status but can’t raise the funds to make the improvements or when we finally connect with a sports minded alum who may be willing to help we drive him away.
Like the Pirates we have to hope our top league teams are good enough to secure enough funds to keep the program alive. The schedule and attendance seem to get worse every year and none of the potential coaches mentioned except Pitino will make any difference. I hate to feel this way but I’m trying to be realistic.

The unfortunate fact is that the SJU program has been on a slow but gradual decline from its top five status eighty years ago to where it stands today. I feel like we are the Pittsburgh Pirates of the big east. We are members of a great league who can’t compete for the top rungs but have to be satisfied trying to finish sixth.
We think we know what prevents us from improving our status but can’t raise the funds to make the improvements or when we finally connect with a sports minded alum who may be willing to help we drive him away.
Like the Pirates we have to hope our top league teams are good enough to secure enough funds to keep the program alive. The schedule and attendance seem to get worse every year and none of the potential coaches mentioned except Pitino will make any difference. I hate to feel this way but I’m trying to be realistic.
Let me sum it up; complete mismanagement starting at the top. We'll see if Shanley tenure is different. So far I'm not convinced.

Julian is still playing in the D league so he (and his agent) can showcase his skills for an overseas playing career.

Justin is playing for the Miami Heat G League team.

This is a good spot for Julian. Regarding the Spurs organization they develop talent really well. Their NBA roster is obviously not good by NBA standards which could afford Julian an "easier" chance to get on the main roster as compared to a finals contender like Philadelphia.

Happy for Julian, kid works incredibly hard, looking forward to watching him succeed.

Don’t think McLeod, Owens or Ced Jackson should count

Last edited:
Back