Champagnie

I suspect for Figueroa the grass was greener at Oregon. He played on a good team that made a tournament run. I doubt he has any regrets.
Thank you Boo. Dome just can't help but throw darts at players who left our program. LJ and Julian's games were very different. LJ was more athletic and drove to the basket. Julian, as he has shown so far is more of a shooter, which is a priority in the NBA.

LJ is playing well in the G League and Overseas. Let's just wish both of these young men all the best as their journeys continue.

Good Morning Johnnie Nation - Julian Champagnie is back on the podcast where we discussed his first season in the NBA. The high's and lows, his welcome to the NBA Moment, his time in the G-League and thriving with the San Antonio Spurs to cap off the regular season.

He tells an incredible, movie-like story about what happened before we dropped a career high 26 points against the Kings in an OT win.

And of course we talk about what he thinks of Rick Pitino, watching his good buddy Joel Soriano have a monster season and what's to come this year for St. John's - I do hope you enjoy, Julian is one of the best there is.

Julian Champagnie on the Rick Pitino hire, Joel Soriano's big season, the new roster and more:

Great interview! Good point from Julian regarding how vital the ability to shoot the three is for modern NBA centers and highlights the professional development our players will receive.

Many of our players had difficulty finishing around the rim last year but being able to stretch Joel out as a three point threat and maximizing spacing will lessen the ability of guys like Clingan and Kalkbrenner to help out and roam for blocks, which should help the slashers we brought in.

Where are those posters who swore Julian would never sniff the NBA? Kind of funny as they actually claim to be SJU fans.
I don't think I expressed that opinion but I surely did not think he was an NBA player. Obviously going undrafted the scouts agreed. The G league is actually a great mimor league system in developing and recognizing talent. It makes me wonder how many players were overlooked before its existence.

In basketball it's very hard to predict and project. I remember thinking that Jerome Lane would become a very good NBA player. While in 6 seasons he averaged almost 6 rebounds per game , he fell far short. Better example was Scott May from Indiana.

In any event, thrilled for Julian, and give credit to CMA and staff for helping to develop him. On that note, some at SJU are absolutely convinced that year 4 Mike Anderson not the same guy as year 1 and 2.

I don't think I expressed that opinion but I surely did not think he was an NBA player. Obviously going undrafted the scouts agreed. The G league is actually a great mimor league system in developing and recognizing talent. It makes me wonder how many players were overlooked before its existence.

In basketball it's very hard to predict and project. I remember thinking that Jerome Lane would become a very good NBA player. While in 6 seasons he averaged almost 6 rebounds per game , he fell far short. Better example was Scott May from Indiana.

In any event, thrilled for Julian, and give credit to CMA and staff for helping to develop him. On that note, some at SJU are absolutely convinced that year 4 Mike Anderson not the same guy as year 1 and 2.
I as well did not think he would make the League but was not a naysayer. Props to him for his hard work. Also glad to see he was able to realise his dream and make some money in the process. $12MM over 4 years is great. Hopefully the league will in the future have more SJU alumni join.

Good for Champagnie. Happy for someone who always seemed like a great guy.

He worked hard and exceeded expectations at every level. Barely ranked recruit who was surprisingly made a starter as a true freshman and made BE all freshman team. Then in year 2 he made that superstar leap that I think most of us would agree we didn’t see coming. Only fitting that he goes undrafted and grinds his way to a full roster spot and contract. Great story and easy guy to root for.

Hopefully more in short order but nice to have a new Johnnie in the league to point to. We were getting a little thin 😬

Back