Bubble Watch

Then why is Indiana State in over Pitt with their awful Q4 loss?

My head is spinning trying to figure out how all this works honestly lol. Nothing seems consistent
I have posted this analogy before, college admissions has 439 criteria so admissions officers can mix and match to let in who they want and reject who they want. The NCAA uses the same approach for the tournament.

My current thinking is something like:

Lose to SH: Most likely out (50%); Decent chance for Dayton (40%); small chance to be in top 64 (10%)
Beat SH and lose to uconn: Most likely in Dayton (50%); decent chance at top 64 (40%); small chance to be out (10%)

Might be more bullish than others in the case that we lose (just another Quad 2 loss), but that's in part because so much of our fate is not in SJU's hands. We still have 2 potential Quad 1 wins to gain based on Nova and Utah finishes. There may be more or fewer bid stealers. I think it's too simple to suggest everything is riding on this one game since there are so many moving parts and this is only a quad 2 game.

Ya... i guess the ole "eye test" of the committee members is another "tool" - which adds the element of surprise...

I know if i were choosing between teams... slicing hairs between the final 8 or so teams... i would definitely weight "Wins vs the Field" heavier than others... (which doesn't bode well for us this year) - so good thing i declined the invite to the committee this year....
I hope they take into account wins at halftime.

Lose to SH: Most likely out (50%); Decent chance for Dayton (40%); small chance to be in top 64 (10%)
Beat SH and lose to uconn: Most likely in Dayton (50%); decent chance at top 64 (40%); small chance to be out (10%)
most likely = 50%?

Rank the leagues on success of OOC results. Then assign each league the number of tournament slots and let the league standings determine which teams make it. The league tournament championship results would add to the league standings.

Rank the leagues on success of OOC results. Then assign each league the number of tournament slots and let the league standings determine which teams make it. The league tournament championship results would add to the league standings.

Understand your logic but OOC is really preseason. Teams are not fully formed or ready to play up to their full potential.

We would also likely see a bunch more cupcakes instead of competitive OOC games in order to keep the league results high.

It's incorrect to say we'd definitely be out with a loss to Seton Hall (which some are stating on X), the only thing up for debate is how likely/unlikely our odds would be on Selection Sunday. We still don't know how the rest of the bubble will fare, if Nova/Utah will move up to Q1, etc. Really a crystal ball and Selection Committee input is needed.

Here's one example of why that's the case: Fox Sports has us as a #10 seed today. They have us ahead of UVA, Drake, TCU, Wake Forest, Colorado, Indiana St, & Texas A&M. Does anyone think losing a Q2 game would drop our ranking with them 7+ spots? Even if you account for potential bid thieves or the rest of the bubble doing really well, it's tough to imagine us not being in their bracket on Selection Sunday

Fox is more bullish on the Johnnies than most, but there are also plenty of other brackets that have us as a 10 seed. Too many people just take Lunardi as gospel despite his mediocre record. Fox has been the 75th most accurate bracketologist by the way, ahead of #98 Lunardi. Even if Lunardi is correct there are still (unlikely) scenarios where we could make it if the rest of the bubble does poorly, USF/Richmond don't win, and our resume improves based on Nova, Utah, etc.

Obviously I really want to win on Thursday so this debate can end, but there's no way to say definitively yet whether we'd be in or out with a loss. I also don't think a win vs. Hall 100% locks us in, especially if we get blown out the following day, but it'd make things much more likely of course (I'd guess at least 95%).

We would also likely see a bunch more cupcakes instead of competitive OOC games in order to keep the league results high.

The NCAA would weigh / rate the quality of the OOC. They could run a few large November and December tournaments with double elimination.

I get the pre-season view, but the OOC games from November already are assessed equally with the games played in Feb / March.

The goal is to reduce the arbitrary process at the end of the season that exists today. Some leagues will get screwed from bad Novembers, but schools will know who they have to beat out as they start their league seasons.

I kind of enjoy the randomness of the committee. Rarely has there been such an egregious decision that I think there needs to be a clear cut overhaul.

I've almost become more aligned with Marillac's idea of expanding the tournament not being a bad thing. If we had a play-in for all non-AQs who are seeded 7 through 12, that would be a really exciting two additional night of hoops + reward the true Top 25 teams in the country. Not much separates the rest as is. I think you'd have to figure out a way to make sure it's not just boring teams like Pittsburgh (lol) or Butler, but also some mid-majors like VCU, Loyola Chicago, etc., but it has more potential than I've thought in past years

Seton Hall has been a difficult match-up for us. But hoping the old school thinking holds true that it's tough to beat a team 3 times in a row in one season. Didn't seem to bother Georgetown in 84-85 season. Another team that was more athletic and more physical than us.

Back