Bubble Watch

Then why is Indiana State in over Pitt with their awful Q4 loss?

My head is spinning trying to figure out how all this works honestly lol. Nothing seems consistent
It's all subjective, so everyone's heads are spinning.

Indiana State actually doesn't have any Q3 losses. They do have one Q4 loss. If you ask me, Indiana State should be on the "Next Four" out with Pittsburgh.

Like companies going "open source".... these metrics need to be made Transparent on how they rank... how they calculate a Team's NET - then NET determines Quad... then X points given/deducted for a certain Quad W/L...
yea I agree. This whole thing has big "Netflix reporting their own viewership numbers" energy. We're just left to take their word for it haha

For me a large part of fun leading up to Selection Sunday is uncertainty of whose name will get called. Would hate to see it reduced to a mathematical formula but that’s just me.
This is true - just saying for those that provide numbers by Teams... let us know how you derived the number...

I'm the opposite and likely minority opinion. I'm not a fan of "committee" selecting. While not huge into bracketolgy, but crazy that NCAA has metric like NET that is a ranking of sorts but only use as a"tool". Just don't think committee members really that dialed in to all the teams like all the fans that follow more closely.

I'm the opposite and likely minority opinion. I'm not a fan of "committee" selecting. While not huge into bracketolgy, but crazy that NCAA has metric like NET that is a ranking of sorts but only use as a"tool". Just don't think committee members really that dialed in to all the teams like all the fans that follow more closely.
Ya... i guess the ole "eye test" of the committee members is another "tool" - which adds the element of surprise...

I know if i were choosing between teams... slicing hairs between the final 8 or so teams... i would definitely weight "Wins vs the Field" heavier than others... (which doesn't bode well for us this year) - so good thing i declined the invite to the committee this year....

Truly doing my best Rothstein impersonation by watching the last 2 minutes of this Patriot League semi-final with Colgate/Bucknell. Awesome ending, I think Colgate will pull this out.
Wonder if Jay Wright was at game . He’s a Bucknell Alum.

I’ve been fighting (nicely) my wife for last few years about moving back to Jersey which is nuts, but one big plus is going to Johnny games in MSG so I may just surrender!
NCJohnnie, you could literally take the property tax savings from staying in NC and go to as many games as you want. All the travel, hotels and game tickets wouldn't add up to the tax savings and you'd come out ahead.

I would love a system like every other sport I follow where wins and losses determined things and you could look at the standings every day and know exactly what is what. And that only wins and losses would matter. I understand how difficult, perhaps impossible, that is for college sports, but for me that is a bug of being a college basketball fan not a feature.

I would love nothing more than SJU to get to a place where the stupid "bubble" doesn't matter because they are clearly a post-season team. But one step at a time. As far as I am concerned any system that has SJU fans rooting for Villanova last week when we are battling them in our conference standings (and a spot in the tournament!) is stupid. Not saying the rooters were stupid, actually it's the opposite, they were educated on the NCAA selection process.

Complaint over, sorry, no clouds in NHP today to shake my fist at.

I like idrafts idea but I would enhance it by providing point values for wins instead of just wins and losses, Something like 25 points for a win over atop ten team down to one point for a win over a team in the one hundred to two hundred area.
My point score are purely off the cuff but a fair system should be easy to figure out by testing it with the last five tournament fields.
Take the committee out of it except for assigning the teams order, from one to two hundred. Zero points for a win over a team rated below two hundred. Too unwieldy?

NCJohnnie, you could literally take the property tax savings from staying in NC and go to as many games as you want. All the travel, hotels and game tickets wouldn't add up to the tax savings and you'd come out ahead.
Understood AM, just grasping at straws to put a positive spin on what is likely an inevitable outcome. Happy wife, happy life as I'm sure you know.

I like idrafts idea but I would enhance it by providing point values for wins instead of just wins and losses, Something like 25 points for a win over atop ten team down to one point for a win over a team in the one hundred to two hundred area.
My point score are purely off the cuff but a fair system should be easy to figure out by testing it with the last five tournament fields.
Take the committee out of it except for assigning the teams order, from one to two hundred. Zero points for a win over a team rated below two hundred. Too unwieldy?
This is essentially what KPI is. It ranks SJU 70th in the country.

Sorry if this was discussed, but I'm looking for some simple analysis. if we beat SH, are the bubble experts confident we are in? If the SH game ends with a loss, are the experts sure we are out?

Sorry if this was discussed, but I'm looking for some simple analysis. if we beat SH, are the bubble experts confident we are in? If the SH game ends with a loss, are the experts sure we are out?
thats pretty much where things stand right now from my perspective.

I'd say with a win we are surely in, maybe going to dayton if there are some bid stealers out there.

If we lose, there may be a slim shot the committee puts us in Dayton. But I wouldn't be counting on it

Back