Bubble Watch

When I hit my midday lull at work I like to kill some time with some bubble talk.

1. FAU @ North Texas: 8:00 PM (ESPN+) - FAU loss puts them on even shakier ground on the bubble, and North Texas picks up a big win that would only boost our metrics with our neutral site win over them in hand. Go Mean Green

2. Xavier @ Butler: 7:30 PM (CBSSN) - With our sweep in hand against Butler, it is good for us if they finish the season strong. Also, I hate how Xavier is lingering near us in the BE standings right now, a loss here would put them below us for good assuming we take care of business Saturday

3. Northwestern @ Michigan St: 7:00 PM (BTN) - Michigan St needs this game badly, so I am sure they will pull it off. But if they don't, things get extremely dicey for them as they will be 17-13, with 4 straight losses, and finish the season @Indiana who have been playing better of late.

4. Mississippi St @ Texas A&M: 9:00 PM (ESPNU) - These are both bubble teams technically, but on bracketmatrix, Miss St is safely in on most brackets, averaging out as a 9 seed. Where as A&M is more on the outside looking in due to their record. The amount of good wins A&M has scares me, I think I would prefer they lose and just kinda f off

5. Fresno State @ New Mexico: 10:30 PM (FS1) - This is a big one. NM is right around us in most bubble projections, and as we saw last night from Wake, a bad home loss to a sub .500 team in your conference can burst your bubble. Fresno St is not good, so I doubt New Mexico is in much trouble here (17.5 point favs), but it is something to monitor. If they lose this game, see ya later.
Northwestern has what it takes to win there. Nice money line to boot.

After UNLV beat SD St. last night, the FS1 studio panel thought there was a chance for the MWC to put seven teams into NCAA. I can't see more than six, but either way, it could impact Big East.

I meant for like the last 5 or 6 years. They seem avg to good, nor elite anymore.

Since the 2020-21 season, their best season was only 10 over 500 (23-13)
His teams used to be 20+ over 500.

Last edited:
It seems like every time I think Michigan State is done, they win games in tournament. So if they get in I'll still look for them to knock someone off.

Speaking of Michigan State .... there was a terrific article in The Athletic on Monday about Hall of Fame Coach Tom Izzo and his family's adoption of a young child and the love and guidance which seemingly gruff Coach Izzo showed. It was a tearjerker.

One thing about Izzo is he year in and year out schedules the toughest non conference in division 1. That makes them tough to beat come March. Not a great result for us.

North Texas down 1 to FAU with 12 minutes. Would be doubly helpful — hurting a bubble team with a loss and strengthening a win.

I found a stream of ESPN+. Didn’t realize how awful some of those productions are

The new bracket matrix came out for today and we're in 75% of brackets (85/113), the 2nd to last team in. Too lazy to count em but just eyeballing it it looks like we're in about 85-90% of the brackets that were updated today.

The first two teams out are Utah and Colorado. Both of them go on the road tomorrow and Saturday to the Oregon schools. Hopefully Oregon can sweep them. Colorado really has a chance to play themselves in. If they sweep the Oregon trip they get the 3 seed in the P12 tourney. That means they would draw 2 seed Wazzu in the semis which would be a huge resume booster for Colorado and a game in which Colorado might be small favorites.

After that there are really no threats to jump in barring a team like Providence or Iowa going on massive runs and beating UConn or Purdue level teams in their conf tournies.

Then root for FAU and Dayton to win their conf tournies and no other bid stealers.

Make it to Friday of the BET and we're in. Lose Thursday and it'll be hairy.

Back