Bubble Watch

NCAA Tournament Selection Committee​

The 2023-2024 Selection Committee (the year the term is up is in parenthesis):
CHARLES MCCLELLAND (2024) – SWAC Commissioner (Chairperson)
JAMIE POLLARD (2024) – Iowa State Athletic Director
SCOTT BARNES (2024) – Oregon State Athletic Director
BUBBA CUNNINGHAM (2025) – North Carolina Athletic Director (Vice-Chairperson)
MARK COYLE (2026) – Minnesota Athletic Director
GREG BYRNE (2026) – Alabama Athletic Director
KEITH GILL (2026) – Sun Belt Commissioner
BARRY COLLIER (2026) – Butler Athletic Director
MARTIN NEWTON (2027) – Samford Athletic Director
TOM WISTRCILL (2027) – Big Sky Commissioner
ARTHUR JOHNSON (2028) – Temple Athletic Director
RENEE BAUMGARTNER (2028) – Santa Clara Athletic Director

you wonder why such a big 10 and west bend. always has been acc preference because of espn connections

Love this by seth davis. We didnt earn it. No one to blame but ourselves. Lets move on now.

Seth Davis is a Pimp for the NCAA. Useless His comments are as stupid as he is !
Own it ?

The BE is the 2nd best league in all College BB . It’s not the SWAC or Mountain West !
3 teams , among them highest ranked all year are BE teams. Yet , the next 3 BE teams all have better resumes than 30 -40 of these teams .

Boise State ? Grambling ? Akron ? SD State ? Nevada? C’mon .
They are not among the 68 best BB teams !

Unfortunately Paultzman was spot on yesterday. The committee did this purposefully to create this type of outrage and controversy so they can turn around and expand the field.

Anyone who is in favor of expanding the field is in favor of the bullshit bracket these morons put out there yesterday.

Keep the field at 68 and drain the swamp of these idiot AD’s. How did the Butler AD sit in the room and allow this to happen? I would’ve established a filibuster and not let anyone leave until another BE team was represented!

Get some retired coaches in there mixed with a few analytics nerds and they can come up with the field themselves each year.

2 of the 12 are from the state of Alabama, and 1 school (Temple) for the entire northeast. The west is overrepresented. Somehow not surprised by the field after seeing who's on the committee.

ST. JOHN’S FALLS SHORT OF JOINING THE FIELD OF 68
that://paper.newsday.com/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?edid=0bf5653c-edb7-48b7-9e1f-858297d5905b&pnum=46

ST. JOHN’S FALLS SHORT OF JOINING THE FIELD OF 68​

By Ben Dickson

Rick Pitino’s first NCAA Tournament game with St. John’s will have to wait.
After a sweaty two days following Friday’s Big East Tournament semifinal loss to reigning national champion UConn, St. John’s (20-13) was not included in Sunday’s NCAA Tournament bracket reveal.

The Red Storm also were not among the selection committee’s first four teams out, meaning they were firmly on the wrong side of the bubble. Pitino said the Red Storm would not accept an NIT bid. “I’m real proud of them,” Pitino said on a Zoom call Sunday night. “They were a great group to work with. Tremendous attitude. Couldn’t be prouder of a group than this group. They just gave me everything they had every single day.”

The Red Storm beat Seton Hall by 19 in a Big East Tournament quarterfinal on Thursday, a game that seemingly put them in the field no matter what happened against UConn. But chaos ensued in the hours between the Connecticut loss and Selection Sunday.
At-large bid-stealers arose in the Atlantic 10 (Duquesne), the Pac-12 (Oregon), the ACC (N.C. State) and the American (UAB), taking the spots of the first four out — Oklahoma, Seton Hall, Indiana State and Pittsburgh.

Selection committee chair Charles McClelland said on the selection show that Mountain West champion and 11th-seeded New Mexico, coached by Pitino’s son Richard, was a fifth bid-stealer despite being No. 22 in the NET.

“This is the first time since I’ve been on the committee that we’ve had five bids that have been stolen,” McClelland said. “The last two years combined, there’s only been three, so it makes it difficult for us to be able to go through that process.”

Only three Big East teams — No. 1 UConn, No. 2 Marquette and No. 3 Creighton — made the field of 68. Providence, which had six Quadrant One wins and zero bad losses, also was left out.

“About a week to 10 days ago, I think six of us [in the Big East] were all in,” Pitino said. “ . . . Every possible upset happened. The three of us really, really got hurt by that.”
St. John’s is No. 32 in Sunday’s NET rankings, the NCAA’s primary sorting tool for evaluating teams. Before this season, 2018-19 N.C. State (NET No. 33) was the highest-ranked NET team that was left out of the NCAA Tournament. The NCAA replaced the RPI with the NET before the 2018-19 season. Indiana State (NET No. 29) and St. John’s are the two highest-rated NET teams ever to not make the tournament.

“We all should probably never mention that word [the NET] again,’’ Pitino said, “because I think it’s fraudulent.”

St. John’s was 14-12 overall and 6-9 in the Big East with five regular-season games remaining, sitting firmly on the wrong side of the bubble.

But the Red Storm rattled off five straight wins to end the regular season, picking up a marquee home win over Creighton, a Quadrant One win at Butler, two wins over 10th-place Georgetown and a road win over last-place DePaul.

But as the committee decided Sunday, it was too little, too late.
I get it, only the first half the season counts towards tournament eligibility.

I was a bit surprised by Shaka Smart's claim that the Big East got snubbed because DePaul was so bad. It seems to me, DePaul has tried. Without researching, it seams like they change coaches every couple years and I thought they opened a new basketball facility about 5 years ago, unlike another Big East school. It takes effort, money and good luck to improve a basketball program.

What's the solution? Kick a school out of the confernece? The prevailing wisdom seems to be to add schools to a conference, not remove. Look at the Big 10? How's the PAC 10 doing these days?

What happens if you kick a school out? Where do they play next season. Do you trade schools with a lower rated team? Why would any league agree to that?

Most fans focus on won-loss records, therefore most fans prefer a version of the Washington Generals in their team's league.

Suppose the school is good in other sports? The Big East supports many other sports, men's and women's.

Based on the above, Shaka's comment was inappropriate.

NCAA Tournament Selection Committee​

The 2023-2024 Selection Committee (the year the term is up is in parenthesis):
CHARLES MCCLELLAND (2024) – SWAC Commissioner (Chairperson)
JAMIE POLLARD (2024) – Iowa State Athletic Director
SCOTT BARNES (2024) – Oregon State Athletic Director
BUBBA CUNNINGHAM (2025) – North Carolina Athletic Director (Vice-Chairperson)
MARK COYLE (2026) – Minnesota Athletic Director
GREG BYRNE (2026) – Alabama Athletic Director
KEITH GILL (2026) – Sun Belt Commissioner
BARRY COLLIER (2026) – Butler Athletic Director
MARTIN NEWTON (2027) – Samford Athletic Director
TOM WISTRCILL (2027) – Big Sky Commissioner
ARTHUR JOHNSON (2028) – Temple Athletic Director
RENEE BAUMGARTNER (2028) – Santa Clara Athletic Director

you wonder why such a big 10 and west bend. always has been acc preference because of espn connections

What is your source for this list? Wiki has Rachelle Paul as a member. She moved from St Peters (MAAC) to Miami (ACC) after she was put on the committee. If she is still an active member, she would have a Conflict of Interest now that she works in the ACC. Virginia is the most controversial case.

I tried to confirm this by searching the NCAA site, but I could not find a listing of the members of this selection committee.

So having had 36 hours to marinate on this, here is today's theory - which will not make anyone feel any better.

I wonder if the way the committee saw it was putting 4 BE teams in is ~40% of the league, whereas putting 4 ACC teams in (the three that deserved it plus the AQ) is 25% of the league. They either
(a) felt that was unfair;
(b) were more concerned about complaining from the ACC and ESPN than they were about the BE and Fox (which has a lower stake in the game than ESPN);
(c) were ACC homers or
(d) all of the above.

So by putting in 5 ACC teams and 3 BE teams they made it about a third of the league for each conference and considered that "fair."

It is obviously unacceptable from a basketball standpoint and their explanations are absolute BS - but it's the very fact that their explanations are absolute BS that leaves open the question of what their real reasoning/motivations were. I tend to think that they went for a false equivalence between the two conferences for political purposes instead of doing their job and make decisions based on basketball performance.

Shameful regardless of the reason.

So having had 36 hours to marinate on this, here is today's theory - which will not make anyone feel any better.

I wonder if the way the committee saw it was putting 4 BE teams in is ~40% of the league, whereas putting 4 ACC teams in (the three that deserved it plus the AQ) is 25% of the league. They either
(b) were more concerned about complaining from the ACC and ESPN than they were about the BE and Fox (which has a lower stake in the game than ESPN);
(c) were ACC homers or
(d) all of the above.

So by putting in 5 ACC teams and 3 BE teams they made it about a third of the league for each conference and considered that "fair."

It is obviously unacceptable from a basketball standpoint and their explanations are absolute BS - but it's the very fact that their explanations are absolute BS that leaves open the question of what their real reasoning/motivations were. I tend to think that they went for a false equivalence between the two conferences for political purposes instead of doing their job and make decisions based on basketball performance.

Interesting LMF

(c) were ACC homers or
(d) all of the above.

DePaul doesn’t count towards the % our league? 😆

(c) were ACC homers or
(d) all of the above.

My take on what happened is three-fold:
1) They were sorting by KPI and not NET, but McClleland and others were so checked out that they didn't even realize that
2) No one outside of Collier actually watched the Big East that much this year. They had preconceived notions of the Big East being the Atlantic 10, just with UCONN and a couple of good teams. Collier didn't care enough to put up a fight since he's not a Big East lifer and heading into retirement anyway.
3) With many on the committee being around southern and big state school institutions, they also perceived the ACC as better.

I hate that it's just an impossible thing to wrap your head around. I'd be fine if the BE had three schools in, but there were proper rationales around it. There are just too many inconsistencies.

I am more and more convinced that the committee used KPI and not NET. I need someone to explain it to me like I'm in fifth grade, but looking under the hood of why SHU is in the 60s jives with their bizarre explanation about SHU's non-conference schedule.

(c) were ACC homers or
(d) all of the above.

I think a significant contributing factor is the fact that the ACC Commissioner publicly killed the selection committee after Florida St was left out of the college football playoff in Dec. I don't think the committee wanted to "screw" the ACC two times in a row, so they found an easier target.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...tatement-response-florida-states-playoff-snub

I am more and more convinced that the committee used KPI and not NET. I need someone to explain it to me like I'm in fifth grade, but looking under the hood of why SHU is in the 60s jives with their bizarre explanation about SHU's non-conference schedule.

I agree that KPI lines up with what they did. But it would have been the easiest thing in the world for them to say "on the close calls, we decided to rely on KPI."

The fact that they have never said that or even hinted at it means that either (a) that isn't it; or (b) they calculated that the damage to them from saying "yeah we publicize that NET matters but when we didn't like the way NET worked out we used KPI because we liked how that worked out better" would be worse.

I don't think KPI was the driving factor here; it's just the convenient justification - which they have not publicly relied upon. They just used it internally to make themselves feel better about what they did.

What we saw Sunday was just a blindside betrayal that Val and co couldn't see coming. College athletics is in the midst of its craziest era. It is the wild west out here with what is going on with this sport. The conference needs a strong leader right now, and a steady hand. Or else we will continue to get disrespected.

Val should not be sitting around patting herself on the back for bringing UConn in. She should be working hard to protect the rest of the schools, the ones that kept the brand alive when it was left for dead.

Sunday was the worst thing to ever happen to the New Big East, and a signature-less response is not what is going to change things for us

Back