Bubble Watch

It would make the selection committee look bad, net every school in the conference several millions of dollars, help keep top schools from bolting, and it would sweeten the upcoming TV deal significantly.

Plus, help recruiting, league reputation, and a hundred other things.
That all sounds right. So the answer to my question is that conference members get millions of dollars extra when their conference mates do well? None of your good points prevent the Ncaa from screwing us again next year and sending the $ and bids to their favored conferences again, right? Sorry, I didn't see the above post. Thanks.

We know - you still think the ACC is a thing 🤣

For payouts, this is a decent summary:

Thanks. This explains everything and makes the reason for the snub crystal clear. The Ncaa has NO incentive what so ever to give out bids fairly and every incentive to give them to their favorite conferences. "Cause it's all about money ain't a damn thing funny, you gotta have a con in this land of milk and honey."

We know - you still think the ACC is a thing 🤣

For payouts, this is a decent summary:

In case anyone still wondered where all this is heading:

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey told ESPN last week that he now favors potentially eliminating automatic qualifiers for smaller conferences, particularly in the wake of Power 5 conference expansion.

“We are giving away highly competitive opportunities for automatic qualifiers (from smaller conferences), and I think that pressure is going to rise as we have more competitive basketball leagues at the top end because of expansion,” Sankey said.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey told ESPN last week that he now favors potentially eliminating automatic qualifiers for smaller conferences, particularly in the wake of Power 5 conference expansion.

“We are giving away highly competitive opportunities for automatic qualifiers (from smaller conferences), and I think that pressure is going to rise as we have more competitive basketball leagues at the top end because of expansion,” Sankey said.
Izzo running around saying the same thing.

Going to be interesting to see how Big 10/SEC manipulate the committee structure going forward. They literally just did it in college football.

If you left the NCAA in charge of the world's most perfect set of boobs, they would perform unnecessary surgery and tattoo them. Probably with the words SEC and Big 10 in script.

"How To Kill a Highly Successful Event" by Greg Sankey.

Just go to 72. Make all of the 16 seeds and then the last 8 at large bids play the play-in games. Tournament will largely stay the same. If anything, you may get more upsets as the quality of the 13-15 seeds improve as they will no longer be one of the bottom 8 teams in the field.
I do think every AQ should be in the field of 64 without a play-in. But I do think outside of the Top 32 (or I guess Top 28 for bracket purposes) and the AQs, those other teams are usually a mis-mash.

Having those teams in the middle be in play-in games will not only create an additional day or two of excitement, but will actually make the regular season even more important to avoid it. They can call it the "NIT" and have it played at MSG for two days.

The tournament is perfect the way it is, as far as automatic bids and 68 teams, don't change it. Come up with a visible, uniform and quantifiable selection criteria for at larges so the selection committee can not funnel the $ to their most favored conferences at the expense of their least favored conferences. Done.

Question: Do schools get $ for winning or advancing in their conference tournaments? How much? Because if not, now that you guys have taught me that schools get millions of $ for merely being in the same conference as their successful Ncaa tournament conference mates, the incentive would clearly exist for teams to tank on purpose in order to get more bids for their conferences and earn $. Which looks a lot like what I witnessed last week.

Back