Bubble Watch

One thing they have to do next year, is change the format of that stupid bracket reveal show they do in mid-February.

I don't need to know who the top 16 teams in the country are (which is basically what they are telling you). I have a pretty good idea of that, already.

Let me know Last 4 Byes, Last 4 In, First 4 Out, Next 4 Out.

That will give the bubble teams a much better idea of what has to be done, down the stretch.

I am one of the people who remembers the Joe Lapchick era at St. John's, was at his last game winning the NIT Championships over Nova. I also remember there was a year when Lapchick had us opt for the NIT over going to the NCAA tournament. I have always had the sense that the NCAA selection committee has not forgotten that Lapchick snub either.
The Lapchick NIT win was in 1965 , my freshman year at St John’s.
At that time , the NIT still had nearly the equal status with the NCAA . Especially among North East schools .

A bigger snub happened later when Al McGuire and Marquette said No Thanks to the NCAA and went to the NIT and won .
The next year , I believe Marquette then won the NCAA tournament with Butch Lee , etc .

Leave it to Al to cause a rumpus . God Bless him !
SJU alum , of course . As was brother , Dick MCGuire .

One thing they have to do next year, is change the format of that stupid bracket reveal show they do in mid-February.

I don't need to know who the top 16 teams in the country are (which is basically what they are telling you). I have a pretty good idea of that, already.

That will give the bubble teams a much better idea of what has to be done, down the stretch.
Extremely good point. Reason they won’t is it would make it too easy for us to hold them accountable on actually being consistent

I am one of the people who remembers the Joe Lapchick era at St. John's, was at his last game winning the NIT Championships over Nova. I also remember there was a year when Lapchick had us opt for the NIT over going to the NCAA tournament. I have always had the sense that the NCAA selection committee has not forgotten that Lapchick snub either.
I think that might be stretching a bit. How many decision makers do you think were out of diapers when that happened?

There was no grudge when we were selected and got in Mullin’s last year of coaching when we probably shouldn’t have (our first round opponent, ASU shouldn’t have gotten in either).

It is time to make "The Committee" redundant! We need to have a true national championship tournament that is open to all Division 1 teams. Give all conference tournament winners a 1st/2nd round bye and play the openning 3 rounds on the higher seeded team's home court. then merge with tournament winners for field of 68/64.

Also, another comparison w/ Virginia; because they have more teams in ACC, they played UNC and Duke once each and lost, while we played top two in our conference twice each which we lost. Va had scheduled 7 games with bottom feeders of ACC and went 6-1; we went 6-0 versus our bottom 3. In conference record reference is less relevant where schools don't play every one twice as they can be either top heavy or bottom heavy
We do have true national championship tournament open to all division 1 teams. It starts the first day of conference tournaments and ends the last Monday of the NCAA T. Currently there are only 68 left but every team has a win or go home chance to win the national championship.

Last edited:
We do have true national championship tournament open to all division 1 teams. It starts the first day of conference tournaments and ends the last Monday of the NCAA T. Currently there are only 72 left but every team has a win or go home chance to win the national championship.
I get your point but there are 68 Teams left (you had me confused because elsewhere I was talking about expanding to 72 so I had to look it up to make sure I was right).

I get your point but there are 68 Teams left (you had me confused because elsewhere I was talking about expanding to 72 so I had to look it up to make sure I was right).
Lol honestly don’t know how I messed that up. Maybe I saw your post 🤣 or maybe I was hoping for a last second change

There are 32 NCAA D1 basketball conferences. The team that wins their regular season conference gets an automatic bid. Then take the top 64 teams in the RPI or Net (or whatever decided upon formula that MUST be used without bias) that DID NOT win their conference, seed them and have them play each other. Take those 32 winning teams and seed them against the 32 conference winners and then keep playing until one team is left. This assures every conference has a chance and all of the best teams are represented. Too radical???

Its very simple there were not many Allies of the Big East on the committee. What should happen is if your conference wins a National Title the commissioner of the league should have a seat on the committee for 4 years.

Did anyone see the make up of the committee? The Butler AD should be embarrassed that he allowed this travesty to happen.

The 2023-2024 Selection Committee (the year the term is up is in parenthesis):

CHARLES MCCLELLAND (2024) – SWAC Commissioner (Chairperson)

JAMIE POLLARD (2024) – Iowa State Athletic Director

SCOTT BARNES (2024) – Oregon State Athletic Director

BUBBA CUNNINGHAM (2025) – North Carolina Athletic Director (Vice-Chairperson)

MARK COYLE (2026) – Minnesota Athletic Director

GREG BYRNE (2026) – Alabama Athletic Director

KEITH GILL (2026) – Sun Belt Commissioner

BARRY COLLIER (2026) – Butler Athletic Director

MARTIN NEWTON (2027) – Samford Athletic Director

TOM WISTRCILL (2027) – Big Sky Commissioner

ARTHUR JOHNSON (2028) – Temple Athletic Director

RENEE BAUMGARTNER (2028) – Santa Clara Athletic Director

The reason Quad wins are BS is it’s measured at the end of the year. You might beat a team when they were 1 but then they slip for whatever reason but why should that diminish your win at the time. It all doesn’t make sense.
Exactly in college football when you beat a ranked team even if they are unranked by the end of the year you still get credit for what they were ranked when you beat them. Why isn't it the same here.

YEEESSSSSSS.....

Whoever the committee is... make em anonymous for all i care- have them reveal their Field starting Feb 1 and every 2 weeks until Selection Show.

Sure it might take a bit of excitement out of that Sunday show... but atleast teams know where they stand.

Here come the greed barons screwing w a great event;

Why are so many opposed to more teams in the tourney? That would be awesome to make this a bigger event.

It was once at 32 and went to 64. That worked. Then went from 64 to 68, still great.

Put more teams in this sucker and lets go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are so many opposed to more teams in the tourney? That would be awesome to make this a bigger event.

It was once at 32 and went to 64. That worked. Then went from 64 to 68, still great.

Put more teams in this sucker and lets go!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am glad you are not planning the menu for Looie’s birthday 😇

Back