Bubble Watch

Dayton beat us. Their NET was 23, ours was 32.
but, as I pointed out elsewhere, was clearly trending to oblivion, while St. John's was trending upward. That has been stated many times in the past as a criterion that the committee considers (and correctly so). Hence, Dayton and FAU rested on early season projections/laurels (and even last season for FAU), and UNC held on to a #1 seed over surging and more deserving Iowa State. And somehow a 10-10 in B10 Michigan State gets in.

I am disappointed and think the committee did an awful job, but at the end of the day we did not make a compelling argument to be in the field. We left too much on the table. The Michigan and BC losses hurt a lot. We also needed more road wins and needed a marquee win. I am confident this won't happen again next year. The thing that bothers me was that we were really starting to play well, but again you can't wipe away all of those close losses.

100%. They made up minds before conf tourneys. Now that they just ignored conf tourneys, don’t be surprised to see top teams start resting starters.
If conferences know they have teams with top seeds locked up then why play to win. Let a team who doesn’t have bid win the conference tournament and add a bid and the money that comes along with it to conferences coffers.

If conferences know they have teams with top seeds locked up then why play to win. Let a team who doesn’t have bid win the conference tournament and add a bid and the money that comes along with it to conferences coffers.
And then have those conferences turn around and promote their conference tourneys as if they mean anything?

Automatic bids should go to regular season conference champs...NOT conference tournament champs. I know it takes the excitement out of the conference tournaments and it seems as if that didn't mess us up as much as we thought it would have. But, that is one aspect that needs to change that will help. Teams that do not belong there should NOT be there! It is supposed to be the BEST 68 teams and you are already assuring every conference gets represented, which means it really isn't the best 68 teams. More like the best 32 teams. How many teams of the field of 68 could Seton Hall and STJs currently beat right now? I say at least 40...45...50? The whole thing is flawed.

Of course RP makes a lot of sense but he has a long standing fueud
Where’s Ackerman? We already found Waldo.
Kudos to McDermott and Hurley to a lesser extent but , still vocal about it

I’m disappointed that Ackerman didn’t mandate any BE school from taking the crumbs of a NIT bid . It’s a further insult by the Clueless Committee to invite the teams they snubbed

This whole Bubble Crap and Metrics BS is laughable . Especially presented by the boobs on the Show , including Jay Wright . Jay swallowed his pride and drink the NCAA nonsense .

It’s not a National Championship by inviting teams that belong in a weak sister tournament instead of highly competitive BE Teams . Texas is terrible , Kansas is awful , Tennessee flopped early , so did Purdue .

And , 3 of the 4 number 1 seeds just lost in their league championship games . Houston was a embarrassment . Point shaving ? They lost by what ? 29 points or something . NC looked dismal . Why ?

With Sampson as Coach anything is possible . Not saying it is but , not beyond a thought .

Automatic bids should go to regular season conference champs...NOT conference tournament champs. I know it takes the excitement out of the conference tournaments and it seems as if that didn't mess us up as much as we thought it would have. But, that is one aspect that needs to change that will help. Teams that do not belong there should NOT be there! It is supposed to be the BEST 68 teams and you are already assuring every conference gets represented.
We should get rid of the conference tournaments all together if only one game counts.

Automatic bids should go to regular season conference champs...NOT conference tournament champs. I know it takes the excitement out of the conference tournaments and it seems as if that didn't mess us up as much as we thought it would have. But, that is one aspect that needs to change that will help. Teams that do not belong there should NOT be there! It is supposed to be the BEST 68 teams and you are already assuring every conference gets represented.
Agree , to think this years Field represents a National Championship is ludicrous .

It is time to make "The Committee" redundant! We need to have a true national championship tournament that is open to all Division 1 teams. Give all conference tournament winners a 1st/2nd round bye and play the openning 3 rounds on the higher seeded team's home court. then merge with tournament winners for field of 68/64.

Also, another comparison w/ Virginia; because they have more teams in ACC, they played UNC and Duke once each and lost, while we played top two in our conference twice each which we lost. Va had scheduled 7 games with bottom feeders of ACC and went 6-1; we went 6-0 versus our bottom 3. In conference record reference is less relevant where schools don't play every one twice as they can be either top heavy or bottom heavy

Once he passes the ring to his cousin Frodo, he will age quickly.
I am one of the people who remembers the Joe Lapchick era at St. John's, was at his last game winning the NIT Championships over Nova. I also remember there was a year when Lapchick had us opt for the NIT over going to the NCAA tournament. I have always had the sense that the NCAA selection committee has not forgotten that Lapchick snub either.

I just dont have that big a problem with us being left out. Pitino had to go nuclear cause we were so bad at one point.

Did we have a great end of the season, yes. Could we beat probably half of the teams in the ncaa tournament, yes.

Do we have anyone but ourselves to blame for the terrible stretch of basketball we played in January and Feb, no.
I disagree . The fact of only 3 BE Scholls , all of whom are Nationally Ranked and highly seeded makes this a BE Conference issues and not just our team’s performance .
We , SH , PC did enough to get in .. period

Am I the only one that worked from home today because I didn't want to have to talk about yesterday at work ? :)

ACC, Big 12 and SEC all have deals with ESPN. If you don’t think that has nothing to do with these decisions I got a bridge to sell you. That conglomerate will do anything, literally anything, to make a buck. Just a grooming, mind bogglingly corrupt, morally bankrupt company, through-and-through.
Well said

Of course RP makes a lot of sense but he has a long standing fueud

Kudos to McDermott and Hurley to a lesser extent but , still vocal about it

I’m disappointed that Ackerman didn’t mandate any BE school from taking the crumbs of a NIT bid . It’s a further insult by the Clueless Committee to invite the teams they snubbed

This whole Bubble Crap and Metrics BS is laughable . Especially presented by the boobs on the Show , including Jay Wright . Jay swallowed his pride and drink the NCAA nonsense .

It’s not a National Championship by inviting teams that belong in a weak sister tournament instead of highly competitive BE Teams . Texas is terrible , Kansas is awful , Tennessee flopped early , so did Purdue .

And , 3 of the 4 number 1 seeds just lost in their league championship games . Houston was a embarrassment . Point shaving ? They lost by what ? 29 points or something . NC looked dismal . Why ?

With Sampson as Coach anything is possible . Not saying it is but , not beyond a thought .
If there was a game to look at for point shaving, it was the first half of the UConn vs. Marquette game where they couldn’t hit som semi contested shots at the rim. The first 10 - 12 minutes was especially bad.

Back