Brady Dunlap: Does He Have the Wright Stuff?

i know... its a ridiculous assertion... and those that make it, should be ashamed...

Personally,... my favorite players, outside of Brady and Sean... have been Max Hooper, Richard Freudenberg, Marco Bourgault, and the 4 yr goat- Amar Alibangyochik
You the guy that chronicled Bourgault flight to wherever we were playing that night like he was the 5th Beatle?

We shall see. As I see it, the CBB world has been turned upside down for fans, but what about young players?
One of the things I hate about free agency is it distorts the concept of open and objective competition. Does anyone think Smith, Richmond, Scott and the potential portal big are not going to get the bulk of the minutes next year, regardless of who shows in practice? We have all heard in pro sports, “well, so and so is going to play, they gave him all that money.”
I am not arguing pros and cons of free agency, the system is what it is and I have zero problem with players playing by the rules put in place. But I see it being a tremendous challenge for high schoolers going forward.
With the wisdom of hindsight, and I am speaking completely in the realm of possibility here, I could see where Wilcher, Dunlap, Glover and Lefty potentially made a bad choice coming to SJU.
I don't disagree, and time will tell. If it is as it appears, then the only option would be for guys like this to go to mid-majors for a year or lower tier high majors, and then hope to leverage up. That seems to be working. But that's a much different paradigm.

Ruling makes no sense and I think Dingle would have been perfect fit on this team, much more than last year. Not that it matters but unlike Ledlum who seemingly would have had a clearly defined role, I wonder if with glut of guards and wings if Dingle would have came back?

I don't disagree, and time will tell. If it is as it appears, then the only option would be for guys like this to go to mid-majors for a year or lower tier high majors, and then hope to leverage up. That seems to be working. But that's a much different paradigm.
Agreed

Ruling makes no sense and I think Dingle would have been perfect fit on this team, much more than last year. Not that it matters but unlike Ledlum who seemingly would have had a clearly defined role, I wonder if with glut of guards and wings if Dingle would have came back?
How do you go from perfect fit to not enough room with not even a sentence in between 🤣

Fwiw, he explicitly said he wanted to come back and play only for sju within his court filing.

How do you go from perfect fit to not enough room with not even a sentence in between 🤣
I am not the coach. Though more and more these last 30 odd years I feel like I should be.For me he would be a perfect fit. But since there are a glut of guys not sure what Pitino would do with Wilcher for instance. For me it would be a no brainer but I keep reading that Chris Mullin II and Wilcher have to play.

See the “white” thing is the elephant in the room that everyone is ignoring but to me seems to be the driving force behind the Dunlap band wagon. Not every white Kid can shoot and not every white kind is going to be Chris Mullin.

And btw Chris Mullin was great as a Frosh for all those who think becoming a sophomore magically makes you not stink. In fact someone name a kid that became a good player who absolutely stunk as a Frosh because Dunlap did stink and became as good as people expect Dunlap to me.

Other than David Cain.
Chudney Gray. Going outside the program, Billy Donovan.

See the “white” thing is the elephant in the room that everyone is ignoring but to me seems to be the driving force behind the Dunlap band wagon. Not every white Kid can shoot and not every white kind is going to be Chris Mullin.

And btw Chris Mullin was great as a Frosh for all those who think becoming a sophomore magically makes you not stink. In fact someone name a kid that became a good player who absolutely stunk as a Frosh because Dunlap did stink and became as good as people expect Dunlap to me.

Other than David Cain.
Peyton Siva played 11 minutes as a freshman. Kyle Kuric played 5 with 13 DNPs. Terrence Jennings played 11 minutes. Jared Swopshire played 5 minutes. Earl Clark played 16 minutes and was drafted #14 overall 2 years later.

Other than David Cain.
Lavor Postell made a nice leap from his freshman to sophomore year.

I feel like true freshmen should get a bit of grace for their first year. I especially say that in the current climate of CBB where there are a ton of players, who probably shouldn't still be in college, clogging up rosters all over the country because of covid.

It makes it that much more difficult to standout as a freshman.

Both Brady and Sim showed flashes their first year, and all we can do is wait and hope that they get better and more consistent in year 2

I feel like true freshmen should get a bit of grace for their first year. I especially say that in the current climate of CBB where there are a ton of players, who probably shouldn't still be in college, clogging up rosters all over the country because of covid.

Both Brady and Sim showed flashes their first year, and all we can do is wait and hope that they get better and more consistent in year 2
Exactly. I'll be both disappointed and surprised if Dunlap and Wilcher aren't playing with way more confidence than last year by the time the OOC schedule is winding down.

Stats can be misleading and obviously the eye test is subjective. For me if someone said Wilcher will eventually be an All BE player, I wouldn’t bet the ranch but I could see it.
Someone used Postell as an example for an improvement and again even if stats weren’t great as a Frosh you saw his upside.

Stats can be misleading and obviously the eye test is subjective. For me if someone said Wilcher will eventually be an All BE player, I wouldn’t bet the ranch but I could see it.
Someone used Postell as an example for an improvement and again even if stats weren’t great as a Frosh you saw his upside.
I have a hunch you can't recall much about Postell's freshman season. I remember a decent-to-good defender and a heckuva athlete. He shoot was broke as hell.

I can tell you I was hoping, as I wasn't fully sold, Postell's offensive game would come around as a sophomore. Thankfully, by late December, things started to click for him offensively.

Back