Brady Dunlap: Does He Have the Wright Stuff?

Some folks called me out early in the season when I said Brady reminded me of Sergio Luyk, which I thought was a compliment for a freshman. They thought he was light years ahead of our favorite from Real Madrid.

So looking at the stat sheet, Brady had an ok freshman season.

But that performance at Villanova is still seared in my brain.

And yes, I know players can go off every now and then (they still curse Amir Agbalavogvic's name in Central New York).

But Brady showed incredible cojones for a frosh in that game even icing it with a late three. I'm bullish on him.

I would think more than a few Colleges would be happily interested in Brady if he had entered the portal .
He withdrew his LOI from ND , when Brey left after last season and came right to us . He was highly recruited in HS .
I didn’t sense any hesitation from Pitino to pick him up immediately .
And , in my opinion. , they wouldn’t be lower levels than here at St John’s.
I could see Mark Few taking him in a nano second and Brady shooting the lights out for the Zags .
Cooley might also be a suitor . Ed likes kids that can shoot as part of his system .
There are other I could speculate on but , won’t .

I would think more than a few Colleges would be happily interested in Brady if he had entered the portal .
He withdrew his LOI from ND , when Brey left after last season and came right to us . He was highly recruited in HS .
I didn’t sense any hesitation from Pitino to pick him up immediately .
And , in my opinion. , they wouldn’t be lower levels than here at St John’s.
I could see Mark Few taking him in a nano second and Brady shooting the lights out for the Zags .
Cooley might also be a suitor . Ed likes kids that can shoot as part of his system .
There are other I could speculate on but , won’t .
Just out of curiosity, a Frosh who shot 30 % from 3 on mostly ignored and wide open looks is a “lights out” shooter, what would you call a kid who shot almost 37% from three as a Frosh who was also a main part of the offense?

Just out of curiosity, a Frosh who shot 30 % from 3 on mostly ignored and wide open looks is a “lights out” shooter, what would you call a kid who shot almost 37% from three as a Frosh who was also a main part of the offense?
Who was shooting wide open looks from three last year 😆 Are you confusing St. John's for Creighton? His shots came mostly in scrambles and transition. And to say he was ignored is pure comedy. He was marked from the second he entered the game.

Who was shooting wide open looks from three last year 😆 Are you confusing St. John's for Creighton? His shots came mostly in scrambles and transition. And to say he was ignored is pure comedy. He was marked from the second he entered the game.
That 100% not true.
Defense geared up to stop Jenkins and Soriano. RJ and Dingle were also threats. The game after he had his 2 good games he was paid attention to but to his credit he did not force shots. His misses were of the wide open variety. He certainly was less open than Harrison was as a Frosh who still
Managed to shoot at a 37% clip.

Just watched Hoosiers for 750th time. Now Jimmy Chitwood could shoot and would be perfect for us. And not just eye test, he missed 3 shots the whole movie. Shot like 94% from the field and the D was geared to stop him.

Just watched Hoosiers for 750th time. Now Jimmy Chitwood could shoot and would be perfect for us. And not just eye test, he missed 3 shots the whole movie. Shot like 94% from the field and the D was geared to stop him.
Jimmy had arc on his shot. That’s what Brady will be working on. I’m confident that he’ll put in the work and shoot the lights out for us.
When Brady tells Coach Rick ‘I’ll make it’ he will.

That 100% not true.
Defense geared up to stop Jenkins and Soriano. RJ and Dingle were also threats. The game after he had his 2 good games he was paid attention to but to his credit he did not force shots. His misses were of the wide open variety. He certainly was less open than Harrison was as a Frosh who still
Managed to shoot at a 37% clip.
Baylor Scheierman shot 24.7% on 2.4 attempts in the Summit league as a freshman for South Dakota State. What would you have posted about him then?

He shot 38.1% on 8.3 attempts in the Big East last year. He also badly missed more wide open shots than anyone I can remember in recent history.

Dunlap averaged 33.3% until he ended the season 1-7. If just 3 more shots fell for him last year he would have shot 37%. Do you realize how silly this stance of your’s is give the sample size?

The real question is will Dunlap evolve into a guy that can get his own shot over the next 3 years. I am bullish on that given his attitude and work ethic.

Baylor Scheierman shot 24.7% on 2.4 attempts in the Summit league as a freshman for South Dakota State. What would you have posted about him then?

He shot 38.1% on 8.3 attempts in the Big East last year. He also badly missed more wide open shots than anyone I can remember in recent history.

Dunlap averaged 33.3% until he ended the season 1-7. If just 3 more shots fell for him last year he would have shot 37%. Do you realize how silly this stance of your’s is give the sample size?

The real question is will Dunlap evolve into a guy that can get his own shot over the next 3 years. I am bullish on that given his attitude and work ethic.
I risk wading in here, but to me, Brady showed that, maybe he lacks some pure athleticism but he is a basketball player. Good court vision and BB IQ. His shot was spotty but showed promise. I do think with being coached up, and developing his body and game, he could be an important contributor, especially if used right. So, I think this year will tell a lot about his future here.

I risk wading in here, but to me, Brady showed that, maybe he lacks some pure athleticism but he is a basketball player. Good court vision and BB IQ. His shot was spotty but showed promise. I do think with being coached up, and developing his body and game, he could be an important contributor, especially if used right. So, I think this year will tell a lot about his future here.
Our best passes last year usually came from Brady. Our best dives to the basket were definitely Brady. The kid barely played and he had a backdoor almost every game.

He also handled in the open court more than I expected. Pretty crazy for a 6’7 kid with Gumby arms.

I think Deivon Smith will have his weaknesses next year but he will get into the lane and set up shooters as sure as Mullin’s Revenge will call for studs in the offseason. Brady will benefit as much as anyone.

Our best passes last year usually came from Brady. Our best dives to the basket were definitely Brady. The kid barely played and he had a backdoor almost every game.

He also handled in the open court more than I expected. Pretty crazy for a 6’7 kid with Gumby arms.

I think Deivon Smith will have his weaknesses next year but he will get into the lane and set up shooters as sure as Mullin’s Revenge will call for studs in the offseason. Brady will benefit as much as anyone.
Still think the kid will be a solid player. Just would like for him to put on some weight though.

Which part do you have an issue with?

Brady was very good getting the ball into Soriano. When he swung the ball on the perimeter we were at our best spacing. Just him touching the ball out there put stress on the defense.

He had probably half our backdoor finishes too in his limited minutes.

Marillac
If people posted I hope Dunlap spent all summer working on his shot and will be more relaxed based on it being his 2nd year , then I have no problem with that.

People are not saying that. They are posting that he will help with 3 point shooting and that we shouldn’t recruit people that will take away time from him. He is not a sure thing.

Last edited:
Which part do you have an issue with?

Brady was very good getting the ball into Soriano. When he swung the ball on the perimeter we were at our best spacing. Just him touching the ball out there put stress on the defense.

He had probably half our backdoor finishes too in his limited minutes.
Admittedly, I thought you wrote “drives”.

Agree on the back doors and have said the same. Agree on feeding the post but I think that’s getting stretched quite a bit this off season. Making the simple swing pass is essential and I hate that it even has to be praised because it should just be done, and he did that well. But the best passes that lead directly to shots came from Daniss, as much as he may have held the ball too often. There is no debate.

Brady had the lowest assist rate on the team last year.

Brady went from high school to having to play against the highest level of competition in college basketball. On a team with no true star to gather the attention of opposing defenses, and no true point either. Yet he played well at times and hustled all the time, including diving for loose balls constantly. He was a 4 star HS player recruited by high majors. Writing him off is nonsense. I'm happy to have him and expect him to be a solid contributor.

Admittedly, I thought you wrote “drives”.

Agree on the back doors and have said the same. Agree on feeding the post but I think that’s getting stretched quite a bit this off season. Making the simple swing pass is essential and I hate that it even has to be praised because it should just be done, and he did that well. But the best passes that lead directly to shots came from Daniss, as much as he may have held the ball too often. There is no debate.

Brady had the lowest assist rate on the team last year.
Definitely not drives 😂😂😂

The assist can be an overblown stat. I think we both love the extra pass. That isn’t rewarded in basketball. I think it might be in hockey?

Just him touching the ball helps spacing. I don’t think he’ll ever be a big assist guy.

Athleticism? What does that mean ? Does it define if a Player is good or bad ?
A great many BB players would not pass any Athleticism standard if one existed .
Mullin ? Would he pass some Ill defined or arbitrary standard ?
How about Larry Bird ?

Magic once asked who was the GOAT ?
His reply was a great one .
“ in the Air , it’s Michael . On the ground , it’s Larry .”

Back