Brady Dunlap: Does He Have the Wright Stuff?

Freshmen numbers

12.4 minutes
3.2 points
1.5 rebs
.2 assists
38% FG

12.7 minutes
4.0 points
1.1 rebs
.5 assists
37% FG

Now you did shoot 43% from 3 so major credit there
Larry Legend was coached by the coaching equivalent of one of the three stooges not one of the greatest coaches in college basketball history.

Wilcher and Dunlap were very young physically last year. We all knew this going in.

Dunlap took a lot of really tough shots. And, yeah, he missed some really easy ones too — everybody does.

He was in a nightmare situation…everyone screaming at him to shoot and not getting enough consistent good looks. Our offense was stagnant…there was very little ball movement, drive and kicks, skip passes, or motion.

I think he’ll be way different. He’s got exceptionally long arms, he can do a lot of stuff in transition, and he passes very well.

every time this topic comes up I feel compelled to remind everybody that Dunlap attempted 12 free throws last season. Twelve. And I distinctly remember him getting injured before a couple trips to the line this year, which can impact the attempts.

Acting like that is a worthwhile sample size is nutty to me. Let's see how he does next year. I'd bet a lot of money that 41% isn't actually indicative of his free throw shooting

every time this topic comes up I feel compelled to remind everybody that Dunlap attempted 12 free throws last season. Twelve. And I distinctly remember him getting injured before a couple trips to the line this year, which can impact the attempts.

Acting like that is a worthwhile sample size is nutty to me. Let's see how he does next year. I'd bet a lot of money that 41% isn't actually indicative of his free throw shooting
Those guys they pull out of the stands at halftime at the Garden make more than 5 out of 12.

No one wrote him off just don’t see the progress most on here are banking on.

So you are saying that if you transported Dunlap back in time on that team he would have had similar stats as Mullin. Cause that seems to be the implication. I always respected you as a Poster but if you are implying that, that is the posting equivalent of Willie Mays stumbling around in the outfield for the Mets.

Btw went to a game as a little kid to see Mullin and Russell became my favorite player and started the painful journey that is being a ST John’s fan.
Mullin is an all time great. Would never compare Dunlap to him. Just stating that if Dunlap was in a more stable situation, he would have performed better. Surround Brady with Chris' team and there is definitely less pressure. He would not have been Chris, but I believe that he would have done better.

Dunlap played very sporadic minutes, never settling into any kind of a definitive role. In that capacity, he had some good minutes, some bad minutes.
The most telling part of his season to me was in the final UConn game, when he came into the game and single-handedly completely changed the persona of a very lethargic SJU team with the hustle, energy and fearless play. I feel in a very up and down first season by Pitino, him not playing Dunlap in the 2nd half was inexplicable to me.
I echo Panther’s post, I have no idea how good or bad Dunlap will be over the course of his career, but he far from stunk last year in a very, very small irregular sample size.

Dunlap played very sporadic minutes, never settling into any kind of a definitive role. In that capacity, he had some good minutes, some bad minutes.
The most telling part of his season to me was in the final UConn game, when he came into the game and single-handedly completely changed the persona of a very lethargic SJU team with the hustle, energy and fearless play. I feel in a very up and down first season by Pitino, him not playing Dunlap in the 2nd half was inexplicable to me.
I echo Panther’s post, I have no idea how good or bad Dunlap will be over the course of his career, but he far from stunk last year in a very, very small irregular sample size.
Agreed, but that is why it is important for him to make his imprint this year. He needs to show he belongs and that he has progressed. I think he could be a very positive contributor, but he has to get the minutes and he has to show some poise, consistency and maturity you'd expect form a second year player.

We'll revisit this when Dunlap's FT% is a non issue this season
Supposedly over Summer went to Shaq and Chris Dudley free throw camp, so expect numbers to get up to their level.

To me Free Throw thing even with small size was jitters, but that is not a great thing either.

Agreed, but that is why it is important for him to make his imprint this year. He needs to show he belongs and that he has progressed. I think he could be a very positive contributor, but he has to get the minutes and he has to show some poise, consistency and maturity you'd expect form a second year player.
We shall see. As I see it, the CBB world has been turned upside down for fans, but what about young players?
One of the things I hate about free agency is it distorts the concept of open and objective competition. Does anyone think Smith, Richmond, Scott and the potential portal big are not going to get the bulk of the minutes next year, regardless of who shows in practice? We have all heard in pro sports, “well, so and so is going to play, they gave him all that money.”
I am not arguing pros and cons of free agency, the system is what it is and I have zero problem with players playing by the rules put in place. But I see it being a tremendous challenge for high schoolers going forward.
With the wisdom of hindsight, and I am speaking completely in the realm of possibility here, I could see where Wilcher, Dunlap, Glover and Lefty potentially made a bad choice coming to SJU.

Last edited:
One of the things I hate about free agency is it distorts the concept of open and objective competition. Does anyone think Smith, Richmond, Scott and the potential portal big are not going to get the bulk of the minutes next year, regardless of who shows in practice?
Are you implying Rick doesn't stand behind his statement "doesn't promise minutes"? Slaz echoed similar sentiment last off-season...

You believe that if Brady is out-playing Scott in practice... Scott will still get majority of the minutes? same as if Sim was outplaying Smith?

We shall see. As I see it, the CBB world has been turned upside down for fans, but what about young players?
One of the things I hate about free agency is it distorts the concept of open and objective competition. Does anyone think Smith, Richmond, Scott and the potential portal big are not going to get the bulk of the minutes next year, regardless of who shows in practice? We have all heard in pro sports, “well, so and so is going to play, they gave him all that money.”
I am not arguing pros and cons of free agency, the system is what it is and I have zero problem with players playing by the rules put in place. But I see it being a tremendous challenge for high schoolers going forward.
With the wisdom of hindsight, and I am speaking completely in the realm of possibility here, I could see where Wilcher, Dunlap, Glover and Lefty potentially made a bad choice coming to SJU.
The situation you describe is happening all over high D1 schools so where should they have gone? Down a level just to play right away?

See the “white” thing is the elephant in the room that everyone is ignoring but to me seems to be the driving force behind the Dunlap band wagon. Not every white Kid can shoot and not every white kind is going to be Chris Mullin.

And btw Chris Mullin was great as a Frosh for all those who think becoming a sophomore magically makes you not stink. In fact someone name a kid that became a good player who absolutely stunk as a Frosh because Dunlap did stink and became as good as people expect Dunlap to me.

Other than David Cain.
Wait so a lot of us like Dunlap just because he is white?? HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Why didnt this white logic apply to David Carahar? Nobody wanted him to play.

The situation you describe is happening all over high D1 schools so where should they have gone? Down a level just to play right away?
Absolutely, much better than a potential empty resume of two years being “portaled” over. Players with stats from “down a level” are doing just fine $ wise.

Are you implying Rick doesn't stand behind his statement "doesn't promise minutes"? Slaz echoed similar sentiment last off-season...

You believe that if Brady is out-playing Scott in practice... Scott will still get majority of the minutes? same as if Sim was outplaying Smith?
I presented a hypothetical, it doesn’t matter what I believe, if you don’t recognize it happens all the time in the pros I don’t know what to tell you.
As for Pitino, sorry I don’t drink the “walks on water” Kool Aid. I think he had a very uneven year last year, not close to HOF level.

Wait so a lot of us like Dunlap just because he is white?? HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Why didnt this white logic apply to David Carahar? Nobody wanted him to play.
i know... its a ridiculous assertion... and those that make it, should be ashamed...

Personally,... my favorite players, outside of Brady and Sean... have been Max Hooper, Richard Freudenberg, Marco Bourgault, and the 4 yr goat- Amar Alibangyochik

Back