Around College Basketball

That is obviously a super fair point. I think Bennett just realized he was FAR from all in for the season and bailed; personally agree with you that he should have manned up and coached the year out.
If he was far from all in better for all concerned to move on now. Players would sense in one second that coach is not all in and then you have an untenable situation.

If he was far from all in better for all concerned to move on now. Players would sense in one second that coach is not all in and then you have an untenable situation.
I agree, tough situation, but sometimes you have to suck it up for the others involved. IMO, coaching is no different than any other job in that there are times you are distracted, discouraged, dealing with personal turmoil but you still have to do the best job you can under those circumstances. It may be unfair, because I certainly don’t know, but I can’t help but feel a Bennett can do this because of the money he made at the profession he is so unceremoniously walking away from. Most people whose heart may be no longer in their job, just don’t have that luxury.

This is unnecessary in my opinion. This will cost the schools more NIL and scholarship money for players who more than likely will get zero playing time.
This is actually part of the Settlement Agreement the NCAA made with Congress that the Judge on the case sent back to re-work part of the deal. The increase of the scholarship in several (not all) Men’s and Women’s sports including Men’s and Women’s Basketball was not the reason the Court sent it back so this was inevitable just comes before the actual Settlement is accepted by the Jusge. The increase brings the limit back to what it was until the change was made in the late 90’s early 2000’s.

This article from SI.com from yesterday. Baically saying having these conferences with teams on opposite coasts is not sustainable.

The travel by these schools is insane. USC just played Maryland in College Park. UCLA just played Rutgers in Piscataway.

Now Rutgers will be playing USC in Los Angeles on Friday at 11 PM EST, 8 PM local time.

This article from SI.com from yesterday. Baically saying having these conferences with teams on opposite coasts is not sustainable.

The travel by these schools is insane. USC just played Maryland in College Park. UCLA just played Rutgers in Piscataway.

Now Rutgers will be playing USC in Los Angeles on Friday at 11 PM EST, 8 PM local time.

Professional teams have always made it work.

Will the walkons also get NIL money?
My kids didn't go to college in the NIL era but have said it would totally impact their children's destination. Wonder how many HS students are cool visiting colleges where millionaires live on campus and are no longer required to attend school. Having spent our entire lives in the northeast, can't imagine what attending a large state university in the South or Midwest must be like.

Yeah, reality sucks. Anyone think the “educators” who made those $ decisions give one shite about any of this? Higher education is little more than a bottom line business, not everywhere and certainly not by everyone involved, but in the overall big picture, that’s exactly what it is.

Is it fair to his players that he does it at this point in the season with a week to go? If he was thinking about the program/his players, he would have stepped down after last season or over the summer. Think he’s more about thinking of himself….. the timing here is awful.
Is it fair for any of us to judge a man that we know absolutely nothing about. None of us know what went into his decision. Is it really too much to ask to respect his career accomplishments, including an NCAA championship, and wish him the best as he goes on with his life?

My kids didn't go to college in the NIL era but have said it would totally impact their children's destination. Wonder how many HS students are cool visiting colleges where millionaires live on campus and are no longer required to attend school. Having spent our entire lives in the northeast, can't imagine what attending a large state university in the South or Midwest must be like.
Maybe I am a different breed but when I was a student, I didn’t worry about what my fellow students did, earned, came from money or were poor. My focus was on me and doing what I needed to do to learn and get my degree and had no concerns that basketball players were getting stipends even if they lived at home. It did not affect me and nor the degree I earned. I can say with the utmost confidence, in the age of NIL, my attitude would have been the same.

One of my kids goes to a mid-major FBS school and I can assure you, he could care less what the athletes are doing and what they make NIL wise. His concern and focus is getting his degree and his future.

A reminder, while the majority of NIL money will be at NCAA D1, athletes in DII, DIII, NAIA or JUCO can all get NIL as can kids in High School. No we are not talking major NIL, but they can still earn.

Last edited:
Ben
Is it fair for any of us to judge a man that we know absolutely nothing about. None of us know what went into his decision. Is it really too much to ask to respect his career accomplishments, including an NCAA championship, and wish him the best as he goes on with his life?
Bennett gave his reasons for retiring publicly so IMO it is fair game to comment on them. I think they were selfish and self centered, entirely due to the timing. What he did affected others, players who committed to play for him. He had absolutely no qualms about potentially turning their lives upside down.
I wonder how many of his players would have been allowed to sit a game or two because they explained their heart just wasn’t in it. Maybe not a great analogy but that’s my feeling. You committed to those players for this season, suck it up and do your job.

Back