Around College Basketball

This article from SI.com from yesterday. Baically saying having these conferences with teams on opposite coasts is not sustainable.

The travel by these schools is insane. USC just played Maryland in College Park. UCLA just played Rutgers in Piscataway.

Now Rutgers will be playing USC in Los Angeles on Friday at 11 PM EST, 8 PM local time.

Hmmm no mention of Oregon or Penn State. Instead they focus on two already bad football programs Cal and Stanford, and two teams that lost their coaches and the majority of their top talent UW and UCLA. Why USC doesn’t win the national title every year with all their money and talent in LA doesn’t make any sense to me, but I know it’s not because they are on a plane for an extra 3 hours 4 times a year.

Bennett's primary motivation seems to be to get his longtime Associate Head Coach the job. Plenty of better ways to go about it. Fair to criticize him.
John Thompson Jr. retired at a similar time which meant his associate got the job.

HmmHmmm no mention of Oregon or Penn State. Instead they focus on two already bad football programs Cal and Stanford, and two teams that lost their coaches and the majority of their top talent UW and UCLA. Why USC doesn’t win the national title every year with all their money and talent in LA doesn’t make any sense to me, but I know it’s not because they are on a plane for an extra 3 hours 4 times a year.
His main gig is writing about Oregon sports.

Interested GIF by Nick Cannon

My kids didn't go to college in the NIL era but have said it would totally impact their children's destination. Wonder how many HS students are cool visiting colleges where millionaires live on campus and are no longer required to attend school. Having spent our entire lives in the northeast, can't imagine what attending a large state university in the South or Midwest must be like.
I think you’re looking at this completely backwards. SEC recruitment for non-athletes in Long Island and the northeast is at an all time high. Gotta feeling college football and basketball has a big reason for that.

Kids want all different types of college experiences, a significant number want college game day + a wild student section at basketball and football games + a great team to follow for four years. Kull allowed to this on Dave’s podcast, and it’s part of why the current admin is all-in

Who cares? I’m not overly concerned with the wallets of the 12th player on the Utah State Aggies.
My reply to your post was related to the 14th and 15th players on St. John's not the 12th player on the Utah State Aggies. So are you concerned about the wallets of St. John's and its NIL fundraisers to pay for top tier players as opposed to handing out scholarships and NIL money to players who probably will never get any playing time?

My reply to your post was related to the 14th and 15th players on St. John's not the 12th player on the Utah State Aggies. So are you concerned about the wallets of St. John's and its NIL fundraisers to pay for top tier players as opposed to handing out scholarships and NIL money to players who probably will never get any playing time?
I am pretty sure NIL was used to pay for at least a portion if not all of the tuition, room and board along with incidental costs for our 14th player last year, whomever it was that was designated as such for scholarship purposes. If the NIL didn’t cover all of it, then other means (Grants or various non-athletic Scholarships) were used and nothing came out of the player’s pocket. Not to mention NIL dollars received for making team appearances sponsored by the Collectives.

If walk-ons are showing up to events sponsored by Collectives, chances are they are getting NIL funds but then again they could be going for the free food.

My kids didn't go to college in the NIL era but have said it would totally impact their children's destination. Wonder how many HS students are cool visiting colleges where millionaires live on campus and are no longer required to attend school. Having spent our entire lives in the northeast, can't imagine what attending a large state university in the South or Midwest must be like.
I just returned from the Blue Grass State and had the opportunity to take an inside tour of all their athletic facilities. They probably rank in the top third in the SEC. Memorial Coliseum is under going a huge upgrade. Only M/W basketball and volleyball are in Memorial along with all of the Admins. EVERY other team has their own stadium complete with weight rooms, sports medicine, locker rooms and team rooms. Separate baseball stadium, softball, soccer, football and more. They just complete a $30 million indoor track facility as they produce so many Olympians in track.

There is a separate 10 story dorm just for Olympic sport athletes. Football has their own living area as does men’s basketball in their rather new Joe B Hall Wildcat Lodge. There are 5 separate private athlete only dining areas on campus conveniently located near their stadiums. Most are open 14 hrs a day. They even have an large room about the size of our aux gym with ovens, stove tops, commercial refrigerators and freezers just for their Olympic athletes who desire to cook their own meal on occasion with all the food provided as well as a cook to assist if needed in their main athlete facility. They are the only SEC school to provide this.

Last edited:
Is it fair for any of us to judge a man that we know absolutely nothing about. None of us know what went into his decision. Is it really too much to ask to respect his career accomplishments, including an NCAA championship, and wish him the best as he goes on with his life?
You make some good points Panther. If there is a medical issue or an urgent family situation that we are unaware of then yes, who are we to judge. But if not and this decision could have been made some time ago, shame on him, regardless of his achievements.

But then again, at this point a good percentage of the kids on his team may be there for purely selfish(financial) reasons who I’m pretty sure if a better deal arose would go elsewhere at the drop of a hat. So given that I can certainly see the other side of this.

St. John’s has produced a better product because of NIL. We made the post season for the first time in forever last year (even though we declined it for some ridiculous reason) and this year we got Kardary. Do I worry that paying the 13, 14, 15th player on St. John’s is going to affect St. John’s 800M endowment, the wealth of the Catholic Church, or even simple how much I spend on booster functions? Nope, it won’t even amount to a rounding error.

I just returned from the Blue Grass State and had the opportunity to take an inside tour of all their athletic facilities. They probably rank in the top third in the SEC. Memorial Coliseum is under going a huge upgrade. Only M/W basketball and volleyball are in Memorial along with all of the Admins. EVERY other team has their own stadium complete with weight rooms, sports medicine, locker rooms and team rooms. Separate baseball stadium, softball, soccer, football and more. They just complete a $30 million indoor track facility as they produce so many Olympians in track.

There is a separate 10 story dorm just for Olympic sport athletes. Football has their own living area as does men’s basketball in their rather new Joe B Hall Wildcat Lodge. There are 5 separate private athlete only dining areas on campus conveniently located near their stadiums. Most are open 14 hrs a day. They even have an large room about the size of our aux gym with ovens, stove tops, commercial refrigerators and freezers just for their Olympic athletes who desire to cook their own meal on occasion with all the food provided as well as a cook to assist if needed in their main athlete facility. They are the only SEC school to provide this.
Your photos are great. Thank you for sharing I remember touring Rupp Arena with an alum 20 ish years okay and him lamenting to keep their season BBall tickets they had to buy football season tickets.

I think you’re looking at this completely backwards. SEC recruitment for non-athletes in Long Island and the northeast is at an all time high. Gotta feeling college football and basketball has a big reason for that.

Kids want all different types of college experiences, a significant number want college game day + a wild student section at basketball and football games + a great team to follow for four years. Kull allowed to this on Dave’s podcast, and it’s part of why the current admin is all-in
I also think if you’ve only lived in one area of the country, it’s hard to understand what it’s like in other areas. I spent my first 58 years living in NY/NJ. Have spent last 13 in North Carolina and its a nice place to live and from what my son tells me to go to college. Grandkids may pull us back to NJ but I’ll always have Carolina in My Mind.

I also think if you’ve only lived in one area of the country, it’s hard to understand what it’s like in other areas. I spent my first 58 years living in NY/NJ. Have spent last 13 in North Carolina and its a nice place to live and from what my son tells me to go to college. Grandkids may pull us back to NJ but I’ll always have Carolina in My Mind.
GREAT tune!!!!!!

Back