Around College Basketball

Think we went 39-1 in the Lapchick Classic but as soon as we lost it was over. Coincidence? I remember the comment about the Lapchick Classic that St. John’s invited 3 teams they knew they could beat and called it a classic.
We went 41-0 until that disastrous day. Didn’t play another Lapchick game until 25 years later when Vince Cole saved our arses against Shaheen and his St Peter’s Peacocks.

Regarding the comp, only 2 power conference teams can claim they played in this prestige preseason tourney. In 1979 we played the defending national champion and Big 10 power Michigan State Spartans in the finals. Of course the invite came after Magic declared for the NBA, but Jud Heathcoat still had big man Jay Vincent. Led by Reggie Carter’s 22pts, we prevailed 88-73.

The other from the SEC in 1978, Yes, CM Newton’s Crimson Tide, who lost to Wagner by 20+ points. We then hung 108 pts on Wagner the following night.

We went 41-0 until that disastrous day. Didn’t play another Lapchick game until 25 years later when Vince Cole saved our arses against Shaheen and his St Peter’s Peacocks.

Regarding the comp, only 2 power conference teams can claim they played in this prestige preseason tourney. In 1979 we played the defending national champion and Big 10 power Michigan State Spartans in the finals. Of course the invite came after Magic declared for the NBA, but Jud Heathcoat still had big man Jay Vincent. Led by Reggie Carter’s 22pts, we prevailed 88-73.

The other from the SEC in 1978, Yes, CM Newton’s Crimson Tide, who lost to Wagner by 20+ points. We then hung 108 pts on Wagner the following night.
Lol the best player from my town of Miller Place, Tom Hogan played on that Wagner team.

mich st signed the contract for the game, thinking it was to be at msg. they were pissed when they found out it was at alumni hall.

Alabama got upset by Wagner in the Lapchick opener ruining a SJU - Alabama final.was at the Sly Fox Inn that night when they came in to eat and had to put up with the embarrassment. The players had not heard of Wagner before the game.

The best team we ever invited to that tournament was probably Loyola Marymount (not a major conference team) when they had Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble. I think Kimble was hurt in the tournament, otherwise they probably would have beaten us.

🙏🏾🙏🏾
Man I really feel for Vitale. It had to be like 2 weeks ago he posted something about being cancer free and looking forward to next season. This is a kick in the nuts so soon after.

He just sold them up big time. I’m sure he won’t mind
Months ago- Trilly was saying on his discord how tough it was to get actual NIL numbers from UNC.... that only a few people actually knew. you could see his hesitation in the vid...

Opposite with Gtown- players/handlers knew they had money so their number for GTown was higher..... allegedly lol

Back