Around College Basketball

An innovative nonconference scheduling initiative is developing behind the scenes in college basketball that, if adopted, would adjust the landscape of the sport each February.

Twenty-two of Division I's 32 conferences have been receptive to an ambitious scheduling concept that would introduce back-to-back non-league games played just a few weeks prior to Selection Sunday, WAC commissioner Brian Thornton and WAC associate commissioner Drew Speraw told CBS Sports. The selling point of these out-of-conference matchups would be to pit projected NCAA Tournament candidates, in addition to bona fide bubble teams, against each other. What's more, there would be an array of games between schools fighting to improve their NCAA tourney résumés.

Here's how the first-of-its-kind concept would work: For one week in February, a slew of leagues would pause their conference schedules and instead have all their members play two nonconference opponents. The model would have every team involved play one home game and one away game, with the majority of those games happening three days apart — many on Wednesday and Saturday — with the window commencing after Valentine's Day.

The matchups would be decided by an algorithm that would ensure the best teams play the best teams. The games wouldn't be determined until the end of January. Think of it like a mini-Selection Sunday within the regular season. You could even build a television show around it. How fun would that be?

full article

An innovative nonconference scheduling initiative is developing behind the scenes in college basketball that, if adopted, would adjust the landscape of the sport each February.

Twenty-two of Division I's 32 conferences have been receptive to an ambitious scheduling concept that would introduce back-to-back non-league games played just a few weeks prior to Selection Sunday, WAC commissioner Brian Thornton and WAC associate commissioner Drew Speraw told CBS Sports. The selling point of these out-of-conference matchups would be to pit projected NCAA Tournament candidates, in addition to bona fide bubble teams, against each other. What's more, there would be an array of games between schools fighting to improve their NCAA tourney résumés.

Here's how the first-of-its-kind concept would work: For one week in February, a slew of leagues would pause their conference schedules and instead have all their members play two nonconference opponents. The model would have every team involved play one home game and one away game, with the majority of those games happening three days apart — many on Wednesday and Saturday — with the window commencing after Valentine's Day.

The matchups would be decided by an algorithm that would ensure the best teams play the best teams. The games wouldn't be determined until the end of January. Think of it like a mini-Selection Sunday within the regular season. You could even build a television show around it. How fun would that be?

full article
I’m sure there will be some good reasons why it’s a bad idea, but on the surface I like it. It’s fun rooting for the other BE teams from time to time and it would greatly reduce the importance of nailing your pre conference schedule down perfect. Plus it forces interesting games to take place which can’t be a bad thing for college bball.

I’m sure there will be some good reasons why it’s a bad idea, but on the surface I like it. It’s fun rooting for the other BE teams from time to time and it would greatly reduce the importance of nailing your pre conference schedule down perfect. Plus it forces interesting games to take place which can’t be a bad thing for college bball.

Read the article. Big East is not involved (none of the "power 6" conferences are).

I didn’t read the article but figured the Power Six would not be involved.

UConn as well.
It's interesting to try and puzzle it out, to guess how much of a dent it will make to prevent flopping.
What's the expected reuturn math?

The average Points per Possession in College Basketball is around 1.0
If teams sink Free-Throws, on average, 70% of the time, or 0.7 times, and one free-throw is awarded for flop call..
So if a flop is called 50% of the time, then maybe it still make sense to flop, especially if you are good at it....

Maybe they will practice it more!

It certainly is less worth than before, a flop..but still maybe worth to attempt them.
However, on a charges/flops.. a foul is given both directions, right?
I don't know how to math that out - it probably depends on the foul situation of the game.

It's interesting to try and puzzle it out, to guess how much of a dent it will make to prevent flopping.
What's the expected reuturn math?

The average Points per Possession in College Basketball is around 1.0
If teams sink Free-Throws, on average, 70% of the time, or 0.7 times, and one free-throw is awarded for flop call..
So if a flop is called 50% of the time, then maybe it still make sense to flop, especially if you are good at it....

Maybe they will practice it more!

It certainly is less worth than before, a flop..but still maybe worth to attempt them.
However, on a charges/flops.. a foul is given both directions, right?
I don't know how to math that out - it probably depends on the foul situation of the game.
It would never pay to get called for flop as it would be one free but also retain possession of the ball.

Rutgers announced that their football games would be carried by WFAN and that their basketball games would be carried by WCBS 880. Obviously these are two of the marquee local stations and while some may call it an old school way of following sports these days it is still pretty impressive for their brand. Seton Hall has local coverage for basketball on AM 970 The Answer. For St. John’s for the last few years I believe you need to be within ear shot of the PA announcer (hopefully someone left a window open in CA Arena) to follow our basketball games. Would like to see AD Mike Cragg step up and make a deal to get some kind of local radio station coverage. Even if I go to a game at Carnesecca Arena I like to get in my car and listen to the post game show.

Back