Around College Basketball

How much would Wong make next season without the tantrum? Would he really get that at another school? Rutgers have those type of NIL deals, especially for a New Jersey kid who helped lead a team to the Elite Eight? Seton Hall?

If I was Miami's coach, I'd tell him he no longer has a spot on this team. That's not how NIL is suppose to work, you can't even do what Wong is trying to do in professional sports. Imagine how crazy NBA would be if after someone signs a contract, players already on the roster say they are not playing unless you re-do their contract to get more than the other person. It would be absolute chaos.

If I was a coach to avoid situations like this, I'd tell all recruits I have nothing to do with the NIL, if you like what the school offers and think we can help develop you as a basketball player and a person, we'd love to have you, after you join the team, we have a program that helps connect you with local businesses you can negotiate your NIL with them, if you are coming here based on how much NIL money you're going to get and that's your primary reason for choosing this school, don't come here. That sounds harsh, but in the long run if you're trying to build a program and get kids that fit what you're doing, you'll have to be like this, otherwise every off-season you're just going to end up sucking up to boosters and trying to collect as much money as you can to keep your roster together.

In the NBA, the players just do things to force a trade and if they have them, opt out options.

Or they want bonuses for post season

Its crazy, and different but over time I think most fans will accept or be indifferent to it....some will choose not to.

I 100 percent support these young athletes making money off of their N.I.L. These young Chirren earned it and they deserve that share of the pie.

That being said no way in the world the U should bring back Wong. He essentially said he will leave if he doesn’t make more than his teammate after already signing a deal. There’s absolutely no chance he can be a leader of the team after doing and saying this.

It’s essentially the John Wall situation where John use to critique other NBA players plus his own teammates contracts and say he should be payed more. The backlash Wall caught for that was brutal in NBA circles. Wong was foul for that.

In the NBA, the players just do things to force a trade and if they have them, opt out options.
This is not the same thing Wong is doing. Last year Wong signed a contract with that BS make believe company that Miami Lawyer started, this off-season that same company is paying a transfer more than what he's getting so he's threatening to leave if they don't renegotiate his contract so he's getting more than the transfer. In the NBA if a superstar forces a trade it's basketball related, not money related. You won't ever see an NBA player try to get their contract terminated and get another based on what someone else is making. First off, it's not allowed, teams couldn't do that even if they wanted and 2nd it's just unethical, a contract is a contract, you can't back out of a contract every time someone else signs a contract, that would defeat the purpose of having contracts.

Also, another reason this is wrong on Wong's part is the school is suppose to have absolutely nothing to do with player's NIL. If Wong is unhappy with his NIL that's strictly suppose to be between him and the company that's paying him, his playing status with Miami shouldn't be affected at all. He's trying to get the University of Miami to intervene and tell that booster that he needs to give him more money, which is against the NIL rules. That's like if LeBron James didn't like his contract with Sprite, and was like you know what, Sprite isn't paying me what I want, so I'm going to threaten to leave the Lakers unless they go talk to Sprite on my behalf and I get more money for them. It's unprecedented and bad business.

I completely agree with players being able to make money while in college. Having said that, either the NCAA or Congress need to set up some parameters to prevent abuse and even more inequity between blue bloods and everyone else or I fear the college game is going to become unrecognizable and for many fans, unattractive.

This is not the same thing Wong is doing. Last year Wong signed a contract with that BS make believe company that Miami Lawyer started, this off-season that same company is paying a transfer more than what he's getting so he's threatening to leave if they don't renegotiate his contract so he's getting more than the transfer. In the NBA if a superstar forces a trade it's basketball related, not money related. You won't ever see an NBA player try to get their contract terminated and get another based on what someone else is making. First off, it's not allowed, teams couldn't do that even if they wanted and 2nd it's just unethical, a contract is a contract, you can't back out of a contract every time someone else signs a contract, that would defeat the purpose of having contracts.

Also, another reason this is wrong on Wong's part is the school is suppose to have absolutely nothing to do with player's NIL. If Wong is unhappy with his NIL that's strictly suppose to be between him and the company that's paying him, his playing status with Miami shouldn't be affected at all. He's trying to get the University of Miami to intervene and tell that booster that he needs to give him more money, which is against the NIL rules. That's like if LeBron James didn't like his contract with Sprite, and was like you know what, Sprite isn't paying me what I want, so I'm going to threaten to leave the Lakers unless they go talk to Sprite on my behalf and I get more money for them. It's unprecedented and bad business.
Instead of throwing a fit, he should sign a second NIL. And if his current NIL doesn't allow that, just throw a fit to the NIL provider only, to get it amended to get a 2nd NIL. The first NIL provider shouldn't have any issue with that. It seems like a simple problem to solve - am I missing something, other than apparently the kid is not acting like kid in this respect instead of problem solving?

I completely agree with players being able to make money while in college. Having said that, either the NCAA or Congress need to set up some parameters to prevent abuse and even more inequity between blue bloods and everyone else or I fear the college game is going to become unrecognizable and for many fans, unattractive.

I just don't understand how there is no vetting process in place in terms of where the NIL money is coming from. Boosters can just set up sham companies to funnel money directly to kids? I didn't think that was the intention of NIL. What service is the player providing in return? It appears a lot of this stuff around NIL just made cheating legal.

Here is the thing the NIL is a contract. It does not bind the client to the school, legally I don't think it can.

But it does require certain obligations from that player. That player's obligations do not go away if he transfers to another school away from Miami.

How is he going to meet those obligations and could Ruiz sue him for breach of contract for not meeting those obligations?

Instead of throwing a fit, he should sign a second NIL. And if his current NIL doesn't allow that, just throw a fit to the NIL provider only, to get it amended to get a 2nd NIL. The first NIL provider shouldn't have any issue with that. It seems like a simple problem to solve - am I missing something, other than apparently the kid is not acting like kid in this respect instead of problem solving?
I don't think anyone can put in a contact you can only be sponsored by one company, maybe you can't be sponsored by direct competitor, but I've never heard of anyone saying we're the only people that has the right's to your NIL.

My best guess is there's nobody else willing to pay as high as what the billionaire with the fake company (lifewallet) is paying. I mean, think about it, how profitable is university of Miami basketball player advertising in Miami, with all the pro teams and everything that's going on down there? There's not any companies willing to fork over a 6 figure contract for him, for that price they can get an actual professional athlete with more notoriety. So, Wong is like this is the only guy that's willing to pay a large sum, he gave Nigel Pack 800k, so I want that too I'm a better player than he is.

What has happened is you got a bored billionaire that just wants his team to win, so he's throwing more money than what these kids are worth at them, just because he can and he can afford to lose money. That Nigel Pack kid he paid 800k too, is not worth 800k in advertising, he's only got 8,000 followers on Instagram, and not many outside of hardcore B-Ball fans heard of him before this deal. The Ruiz guy could have got one of the Miami Heat players with millions of followers for that price.

The Ruiz guy has messed up, because now all these kids see how much he's willing to pay, so they going to milk it for all they can get, and he's not even going to get close to a return on his investments.

Have to disagree on it only being basketball related. It can also be money related to get contract extensions. While it is from back in the day, Julius Irving demanded his contract be renegotiated with the Nets or he was sitting out after they acquired Tiny Archibald whose contract paid more than the Dr. J’s. You also had Terrell Owen’s with the Eagles and Antonio Brown with one of his former teams in football.

I don’t disagree that Wong signed a contract and should live with it however what do you expect in a sport where you have coaches under contract taking other jobs (even with the disincentive of a “buyout”).

Have to disagree on it only being basketball related. It can also be money related to get contract extensions. While it is from back in the day, Julius Irving demanded his contract be renegotiated with the Nets or he was sitting out after they acquired Tiny Archibald whose contract paid more than the Dr. J’s. You also had Terrell Owen’s with the Eagles and Antonio Brown with one of his former teams in football.

I don’t disagree that Wong signed a contract and should live with it however what do you expect in a sport where you have coaches under contract taking other jobs (even with the disincentive of a “buyout”).
I wasn't born back then, so I can't speak on what happened to Dr. J or Tiny Archibald. I just know in today's NBA nobody is forcing trades to get out of a contract. The bylaws don't allow it. You can't force a team to terminate your current contract for a new contract for more money. Even if a team wanted to do it, you're not allowed to do it.

Luka Doncic is still on his rookie contract making 10 million a year, he's been the best player on the Mavs since his rookie year, yet he's the 5th highest paid player on the Mavericks right now. You think both he and the Mavericks wouldn't want to terminate that rookie contract and go ahead and pay him 40 or 50 million a year? He's worth that and more, he's an international superstar, but a contract is a contract, you have to wait until it's over to renegotiate.

Do you have the same problem with high school aged tennis players, child actors, chess prodigies making exponentially more than the average American families or are you only concerned with young basketball and football players?

Your point being? You are comparing apples to oranges. The other groups you mentioned are being compensated professionally for their skills but NOT AS A RECRUITING SOURCE. Young football and basketball players are already highly compensated just from tuition room and board and extras. If they are going to be compensated further, we need to stop calling it “college sports”. as clearly they are being compensated as professional athletes.

However, your derisive comment of “only being concerned with young football and basketball players” infers something of a devious nature and is not appreciated.

What this kid is doing might sicken most of old-schoolers, but, if the bribe..I mean supporters want to sponsor him in their business ventures that will end in a loss on their Investment then thats a business decision they have to live with.

The NIL is a business agreement. If some other company offers a better package then the employee (which these kids are) can leave.

If he is under contract it is his decision to sit out. Whether the kids contract specifies that he must be an active player in order to get paid or some other clause to nullify the contract that is a legal matter.

These agreements are big boy dealings and the kids may be in over their heads even with the NIL agents they have.

I am pretty uninformed about this NIL situation, so how many (what percentage) of colleges have these deals set up, and what percentage of NCAA players are being "paid"? Under tis (seemingly unregulated) landscape, I am not sure why any player of note would play for any team that was not hooked up w/ a strong NIL program.

Back