Around College Basketball

I wasn't born back then, so I can't speak on what happened to Dr. J or Tiny Archibald. I just know in today's NBA nobody is forcing trades to get out of a contract. The bylaws don't allow it. You can't force a team to terminate your current contract for a new contract for more money. Even if a team wanted to do it, you're not allowed to do it.

Luka Doncic is still on his rookie contract making 10 million a year, he's been the best player on the Mavs since his rookie year, yet he's the 5th highest paid player on the Mavericks right now. You think both he and the Mavericks wouldn't want to terminate that rookie contract and go ahead and pay him 40 or 50 million a year? He's worth that and more, he's an international superstar, but a contract is a contract, you have to wait until it's over to renegotiate.
In some cases they are forcing a trade to get extensions and there contracts are allowed to be extended.

College athletes or at least bball players have always been on a one year scholarship contract which was to the advantage of the school.
Now players are turning that one year contract to their advantage.
Payback's a bitch, I know.

In some cases they are forcing a trade to get extensions and there contracts are allowed to be extended.
That's not what Wong is doing. He's currently under contract, he's not asking for an extension or asking for more money after his current contract is up, he's saying terminate current contract and give him a new one with more money. That's a huge difference.

I too am worried that top money schools with big boosters are going to get the best players from now on.

BECAUSE THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED...

I too am worried that top money schools with big boosters are going to get the best players from now on.

BECAUSE THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED...
It has happened but to a much more limited extent; this creates a 2 tier system where player services can be outright purchased. It is the same but different.

It has happened but to a much more limited extent; this creates a 2 tier system where player services can be outright purchased. It is the same but different.
SJU and schools like it haven't been able to recruit on the same level as the blue bloods for decades, if they ever had to begin with.

And despite what everyone says, there are only so many spots on a team, only so many minutes in a game even for a blue blood.

An entire McDs AA team is not committing to Cal.

SJU and schools like it haven't been able to recruit on the same level as the blue bloods for decades, if they ever had to begin with.

And despite what everyone says, there are only so many spots on a team, only so many minutes in a game even for a blue blood.

An entire McDs AA team is not committing to Cal.
Just 8 of the 10 starters...

Have to disagree on it only being basketball related. It can also be money related to get contract extensions. While it is from back in the day, Julius Irving demanded his contract be renegotiated with the Nets or he was sitting out after they acquired Tiny Archibald whose contract paid more than the Dr. J’s. You also had Terrell Owen’s with the Eagles and Antonio Brown with one of his former teams in football.

I don’t disagree that Wong signed a contract and should live with it however what do you expect in a sport where you have coaches under contract taking other jobs (even with the disincentive of a “buyout”).
Kid is not an employee and is not in jeopardy of getting fired. He is getting $380K more than he should be getting.

if sanity doesn’t prevail, this will be the end of college bball as we know it and that is not a good thing.

I hope Miami tells him to go find his pot of gold somewhere else.

Kid is not an employee and is not in jeopardy of getting fired. He is getting $380K more than he should be getting.

if sanity doesn’t prevail, this will be the end of college bball as we know it and that is not a good thing.

I hope Miami tells him to go find his pot of gold somewhere else.
He’s gone. The numbers are just going to climb.

Interesting...

He backed off when he realized it was a dumb threat and nobody else was going to pay him over 400k a year to represent a fake company like the Ruiz guy is. He's probably getting about 200-300k a year right now, which is way over his actual value. I have friends that work regular everyday jobs that have more social media following than he does. He's making more than some G-League players right now and he's not even considered a G-League level player.

This NIL stuff is a mess. I was happy the players were getting paid but with no type of regulations or enforceable rules it's honestly becoming annoying to follow as a college b-ball fan.

He backed off when he realized it was a dumb threat and nobody else was going to pay him over 400k a year to represent a fake company like the Ruiz guy is. He's probably getting about 200-300k a year right now, which is way over his actual value. I have friends that work regular everyday jobs that have more social media following than he does. He's making more than some G-League players right now and he's not even considered a G-League level player.

This NIL stuff is a mess. I was happy the players were getting paid but with no type of regulations or enforceable rules it's honestly becoming annoying to follow as a college b-ball fan.
People hate backtrackers, so I would argue that his name, image, and likeness is now worth even less than it was 24 hours ago.

NIL is nothing more than legalized bribery. Games and championships have been vacated for much less. Now it's the wild west. It won't be long before academic eligibility to play is reduced to 6 on-line credits where a proxy does all the work.
At least the rest of the world's universities treat education as a sacred process and exclude sports from a university focus. Players of any age can sign sports contracts with teams and they study on their own dime if they chose to attend a school.

I'm all for basketball and football becoming a sports only arm of a university with an option for education if a player wants it.
Tying two major minor league sports to post secondary education in the US has always been weird to me.
I mean wasn't that kinda the whole point of our lawsuit against the NCAA to get Walter Berry eligible?

This is what happens when you get agents involved in college sports. Wong is represented by the same agent, Adam Papas, who negotiated Nijel Pack's $800,000.00 NIL deal with Miami. He is just trying to increase his commission. In addition to everything else, now you have to worry about agents getting kickbacks from Boosters to steer a young man to a certain school through an NIL deal.

The NCAA has really messed this up. There is no way to govern what is taking place. Mid Major schools are going to get killed. As soon as a player has a breakout season, a Power conference school will come calling with an NIL deal. The transfer portal will continue to grow every year.

The really disturbing part of this scenario is that the NCAA created this disaster while keeping all the revenue that college sports generates to itself. Student Athletes will continue to enrich the NCAA coffers and those in charge are not sharing the wealth with anyone,

All NIL is doing is showing what schools/agents have always done which is pay players. This way they have to pay taxes though.

Gilbert Arenas said that he was getting paid more at UofA then he was on his 2nd round rookie contract.

Back