2024-2025 Schedule

That schedule is going to be crazy. Pitino is making power moves that I would have never imagined at Saint Johns.
You wanna be big time? Then you make big time moves.

Rick knows nothing else then being BIG TIME. This 6 years with rick is going to be one hell of a freaking blast, can't wait for it all to begin next month.

Last edited:
Wow at the US Open stadium? That's awesome!
Duke at Arthur Ashe would be phenomenal and worth a visit to NY for me without a doubt. Have been going to the Open there for many years (not every year since we moved to NC but every 2 or 3 years). It's a wonderful venue and so easy to get to via public transportation. How about a season opener on a Saturday afternoon in early November?

Duke at Arthur Ashe would be phenomenal and worth a visit to NY for me without a doubt. Have been going to the Open there for many years (not every year since we moved to NC but every 2 or 3 years). It's a wonderful venue and so easy to get to via public transportation. How about a season opener on a Saturday afternoon in early November?
Let's bring our tennis racquets and if you don't show up , it'll be your FAULT !

Especially if St. John’s is a preseason ranked team, I think St. John’s/Duke @ Arthur Ashe on Fox would be the highest watched game of the entire college basketball season. Literally. No exaggeration.

The Ashe aspect of it is what will make non-basketball fans tune in. It will be *massive*.

I think it will likely have to be either on a Friday night in early November or a Saturday afternoon in late November/December to avoid college football conflicts.

Calling it now. Next season Gavitt games vs. Michigan State at East Lansing and Big XII challenge vs Arizona at one of our 3 professional venues. 😀
SJU should approach Steve Cohen and see if he will foot the bill on putting a roof over CitiField, and then creating a “Metropolitan Invitational”.

SJU would be the host school, and then add one top 25 team from the SEC, BIG 10, and BIG 12.

The latter two will be picked from the schools not part of the games against the original BE challenges (and this could work because those conferences will be monster sized in a year).

I know, not my money, but my idea. 😉

To play a college basketball game under the roof in Ashe in the winter, Pitino said, “Well, first they’ve got to make sure they have heat in the building. I know it’s enclosed but you gotta have heat.”

To play a college basketball game under the roof in Ashe in the winter, Pitino said, “Well, first they’ve got to make sure they have heat in the building. I know it’s enclosed but you gotta have heat.”

MJM says why--fed up by heat in CA. Or is Pitino hinting up the heat in CA? ;) ;)

A few more things about the scheduling announcement I haven't seen mentioned yet:

1. Cragg gets a lot of heat from some posters, but as AD he's played a role in these Duke negotiations. May still have gotten done under a different AD, but it certainly helps that he worked there for decades.

2. With conferences going to 20 games (and 11 OOC games), it's now significantly more difficult to schedule blue bloods (or any major program). This is one reason our scheduling under CMA was so lackluster compared to Lavin/Mullin. Getting an OOC game with Duke is a very big deal, especially in 2024.

3. Alabama at MSG! Not much talk about this, obviously they're still seen as a football school, but Alabama these past few years has been really good. This is a major SEC school that was just the overall #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament this year.

Pitino's right that this will likely be the best OOC schedule in St. John's history.

A few more things about the scheduling announcement I haven't seen mentioned yet:

1. Cragg gets a lot of heat from some posters, but as AD he's played a role in these Duke negotiations. May still have gotten done under a different AD, but it certainly helps that he worked there for decades.

2. With conferences going to 20 games (and 11 OOC games), it's now significantly more difficult to schedule blue bloods (or any major program). This is one reason our scheduling under CMA was so lackluster compared to Lavin/Mullin. Getting an OOC game with Duke is a very big deal, especially in 2024.

3. Alabama at MSG! Not much talk about this, obviously they're still seen as a football school, but Alabama these past few years has been really good. This is a major SEC school that was just the overall #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament this year.

Pitino's right in that this will likely be the best OOC schedule in St. John's history.
Good post, and I will add something with #2. As conferences become larger, having the Garden as home will be advantageous again.

Prior to the mega conferences, blue bloods scheduled their own games at the Garden against other blue bloods.

Now, conference games will be taking the majority of their schedule, those same blue bloods will find playing SJU at the Garden more attractive because that may be the only way to get to play there.

Now, conference games will be taking the majority of their schedule, those same blue bloods will find playing SJU at the Garden more attractive because that may be the only way to get to play there.
Now that NIL is in play and student athletes are essentially ‘pros’, I can eventually see the season starting in October, allowing room for an additional 8 non conference games.

Pitino's right that this will likely be the best OOC schedule in St. John's history.

We played Duke OOC basically every year from 1999-2019 let's not act like Cragg split the atom here.

Back