2023-24 Rankings

I hope we're peaking by the xavier game in late December, and go undefeated in play.

Then learn a tough lesson when they get to cocky, and lose by 15 on Thursday of the BE. Tourny, and they learned from that and win the whole damn thing.

Yeah, it's a pipe dream, but one can dream right? Atleast until the first loss in league play.

I'm just real hungry and want them to kill it on the court in the worst way. It has been wayyy to long.

There is no algorithm that can predict this kind of overhauled team. Pitino can start five 5th year seniors and pull a top 30 recruit off the bench. He’s got a projected second round draft pick at SF off the bench and another SF who was just named a top 20 SF in the country off the bench. How do you even make sense of that?

The range of outcomes is wild here. If this team makes the Sweet 16 it will look obvious with so much experience and a hall of fame coach.

I think we struggle early with some very high moments mixed in. Then get it together late January and become a very tough out for the tournaments.

Yep I agree. For a team like St. John's they would need to take the individual player stats from last year, then do stuff like add 10% to projected PPG for those who played college last year (additional year of experience), reduce 20% PPG if they transferred from a mid-major to a P6, etc. I believe most models also incorporate some data from the prior year teams, which obviously would be counterproductive for St. John's. There's over 350 D1 teams so I know they're not sitting there taking time trying to nail down St. John's unique situation.

These formulas are already flawed for experienced teams, but for a team like St. John's they'd say nothing at all about team chemistry, player improvements under Pitino (such as Soriano's quote today about it being his most intense summer workouts), X and O improvements with Pitino, etc. As you mentioned, this makes the season a lot more fun as there's a wide range of outcomes.

This team doesn't have any 1st-round talent (haven't had one since 2012, wow!), but it will make the tournament based on its experience, depth, and RP bringing it all together. Maybe we will have a couple of 2nd-round picks. Haven't had one of them since Sir Dom in 2015.

Yep I agree. For a team like St. John's they would need to take the individual player stats from last year, then do stuff like add 10% to projected PPG for those who played college last year (additional year of experience), reduce 20% PPG if they transferred from a mid-major to a P6, etc. I believe most models also incorporate some data from the prior year teams, which obviously would be counterproductive for St. John's.
We have 9 Players who were prob in top 3 in scoring on their prior team( excluding 2 freshmen,
Drissa, Zuby & Ayo). I Expect almost EVERYONES scoring average will be DOWN from last year.

#23 Saint Mary's lost to Weber State this week so we'll likely pass them and move up to #27. #26 Wisconsin also lost at home to #9 Tennessee, so it's possible we'll pass them too and move up to #26. Hopefully we'll be ranked in a week by winning 4/4 or maybe 3/4 this week.

#2 MSU and #4 Duke also lost so some of the top 10 Big East teams may move up (#5 Marquette/#6 UConn), though some also could be passed (former two and #8 Creighton) by #12 Arizona (beat Duke). Overall solid week for the Big East, but the rest tests start this week.

AP poll will be delayed by an hour- releasing at 1 PM. Just realized the James Madison Dukes should be ranked this week. Super impressive job by their basketball and football teams.

Last edited:
AP now out:

#4 Marquette (+1)
#5 UConn (+1)
#8 Creighton (-)
#21 Villanova (+1)

#28 St. John's (47 votes and 11 ahead of UCLA)

(#24 James Madison- now ranked in both basketball and football)

Massive opportunity this week for St. John's. Next week we could land anywhere from close to top 10 to zero votes.

Massive opportunity this week for St. John's. Next week we could land anywhere from close to top 10 to zero votes.

Well, it's looking like zero votes (or close to that), but not a bad week. Getting those Q1 or Q2 wins, particularly OOC which the selection committee places more emphasis on, is absolutely massive. Something we've lacked for years now. Neither of the losses will hurt us, though the margin in the Michigan loss will be bad for our NET. Hoping we can start blowing out some cupcakes- this was another area of weakness these last few years and part of the reason why our NET was so poor.

As for the rest of the Big East, #21 Nova may drop out after losing @ Penn (though did blow out Maryland). The three top 10 teams won't have much movement, if any.

Will have more later this week regarding our schedule and where we're at.

AP for November 20:

#4 Marquette (-)
#5 UConn (-)
#8 Creighton (-)

#33 Villanova dropped out (-12)

No votes for St. John's. I'm glad we weren't ranked preseason as that would've been a rough fall (despite a solid week overall).

This will be another huge week for the Big East- several teams could crack the rankings if they win their tournament. Marquette, UConn, and Creighton will need to do well in theirs to remain in the top 10.

Last edited:
Winner of today's #4 Marquette vs. #2 Purdue game should be the unanimous #1 AP team next week. Any writer who doesn't vote that way should have their voting rights revoked. Loser also shouldn't drop out of the top 4.

Further, this could be a historic week for the Big East, with Creighton and UConn likely moving up as well. We all know about the Final Four with 3 Big East teams, but has the conference ever done something like 3 top 5 AP teams? Possibly, but certainly not since realignment. Has a solid chance of happening if our top 3 teams continue to dominate.

Also love that not only did a Big East team blow out the #1 team, but that that team isn't UConn or Nova.

Winner of today's #4 Marquette vs. #2 Purdue game should be the unanimous #1 AP team next week. Any writer who doesn't vote that way should have their voting rights revoked. Loser also shouldn't drop out of the top 4.

Further, this could be a historic week for the Big East, with Creighton and UConn likely moving up as well. We all know about the Final Four with 3 Big East teams, but has the conference ever done something like 3 top 5 AP teams? Possibly, but certainly not since realignment. Has a solid chance of happening if our top 3 teams continue to dominate.

Also love that not only did a Big East team blow out the #1 team, but that that team isn't UConn or Nova.
Marquette is my favorite Big East team after our Johnnies. So well coached and I love the way Shaka is going against the grain and largely building the team from within.

Marquette is my favorite Big East team after our Johnnies. So well coached and I love the way Shaka is going against the grain and largely building the team from within.
Marquette is a very good team but by no means are they invincible. I think Kansas and Hunter Dickerson are vastly overated. For those of you who missed it, Marquette beat an unranked UCLA team by 2 points the night before and were lucky to do so.

Speaking of UCLA, Johnnie recruit Brandon Williams is averaging about 2 minutes a game and didn’t even get in the Marquette game. If he doesn’t get more time in the near further, coukd he be a future portal entry?

Week of December 5, 2005.
UConn, Nova and Louisville (3,4,5 respectively)

OG Big East came close week of February 4, 1985 with SJU, Gtown and Syracuse (1,2,6)

However don’t think we can ever top having 5 teams in the AP Top 10 in 2011.

Attachments

• IMG_0933.jpeg
    IMG_0933.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 29
AP poll for November 27:

#3 Marquette (+1)
#4 UConn (+1)
#15 Creighton (-7)
#18 Villanova (+15)

Pretty great AP week for the Big East (besides Creighton's blowout loss to Colorado St - though not too bad as they're now ranked #20).

Last edited:
Great win tonight. Taking a look at our resume:

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

Using KenPom numbers for now as NET isn't available yet.

Stony Brook #268 (H): W - Quad 4
Michigan #53 (H): L - Quad 2
North Texas #73 (N): W - Quad 2
Dayton #61 (N): L - Quad 2
Utah #33 (N): W - Quad 1
Holy Cross #348 (H): W - Quad 4
West Virginia #106 (A): W - Quad 2

Quad 1: 1-0
Quad 2: 2-2
Quad 3: 0-0
Quad 4: 2-0

Overall: 5-2

Very good resume at this point in the season. Been a long time since we had 3 Q1/Q2 wins OOC.

Great win tonight. Taking a look at our resume:

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

Using KenPom numbers for now as NET isn't available yet.

Stony Brook #268 (H): W - Quad 4
Michigan #53 (H): L - Quad 2
North Texas #73 (N): W - Quad 2
Dayton #61 (N): L - Quad 2
Utah #33 (N): W - Quad 1
Holy Cross #348 (H): W - Quad 4
West Virginia #106 (A): W - Quad 2

Quad 1: 1-0
Quad 2: 2-2
Quad 3: 0-0
Quad 4: 2-0

Overall: 5-2

Very good resume at this point in the season. Been a long time since we had 3 Q1/Q2 wins OOC.
WV could sneak into top 75 when they get some guys back. Kriisa will be HUGE for them in 3 games. Akok Akok will also help a lot. You can’t be playing 7 guys.

I think losing the Michigan game in a blowout really makes it hard for some to appreciate that the resume looks very solid, the team is continuing to improve, and the coach is Rick Pitino. The season is looking good so far. But the big east looks like a gauntlet, will be interesting to see which if the middle of the pack teams (X, Butler, Providence, SJU, and Nova) breaks out in league play.

Back