2014 World Cup

btw for Tis and the rest of you soccer guys how good is Belgium ? Do we have a good shot ?

They beat us 4-2 last year in Cleveland.
Loaded with top tier European talent.
I'd be surprised to see a win.

btw for Tis and the rest of you soccer guys how good is Belgium ? Do we have a good shot ?
Belgium as some World class players, as well as a couple of Spurs, but they are beatable. Germany vs. Algeria should be a walkover. I didn't like Group H at all, we have a definite shot to win.

Belgium plays a deliberate game and likes to go through Hazard. The reason this is a winnable game for the US id because of the workrate of the Bradley, Jones, and Beckerman trio. Even the Germans mentioned that. The US played in the Amazon against Portugal, and on short rest had a long travel for a game in a down pour. And one last item that can't be overlooked, the US logged more miles than any other nation in the WC, and played in all different weather conditions.

Despite that, they fought. And even though they were exhausted, they had their two best scoring chances very late. This team's conditioning is top rate.

I will give that friendly loss to Belgium a pass. Bradley did not play that game. Belgium hardly impressed in a weak group, and the US speed will surprise them as well.

Every WC, there is a darling. Teams like Figo's Portugal teams, the Turks who made a semi final run in 2002, Columbia (led by Valderrama) in 1994 just as few exampls of some who never made it over the hump. This time it is Belgium. After many down years, they have its best collection of talent since the Enzo Scifo team of 1986 finished fourth.

The WC, like many tournaments (playoffs) don't always see the best team win but the team that gets on a little roll and feels good about itself. The US survived the group of death, when all prognosticators picked them last. This team has a little swagger, but not cockiness. It will be a fight, but one I think we can win.

Sorry for the long winded response (although if you are reading this, I have nothing to apologize for). :p

I watched most of the Belgium games and while they did not play great in a weaker group, they are very talented. Somewhere between Germany and Portugal at this time. I also expect the US to play much better than they did against Germany. I would definitely rate Belgium the favorite but would not at all be shocked by a US win and can't wait for the match. Argentina would likely be next and that would put the US on a world stage against Messi and get them a lot of attention.

Belgium plays a deliberate game and likes to go through Hazard. The reason this is a winnable game for the US id because of the workrate of the Bradley, Jones, and Beckerman trio. Even the Germans mentioned that. The US played in the Amazon against Portugal, and on short rest had a long travel for a game in a down pour. And one last item that can't be overlooked, the US logged more miles than any other nation in the WC, and played in all different weather conditions.

Despite that, they fought. And even though they were exhausted, they had their two best scoring chances very late. This team's conditioning is top rate.

I will give that friendly loss to Belgium a pass. Bradley did not play that game. Belgium hardly impressed in a weak group, and the US speed will surprise them as well.

Every WC, there is a darling. Teams like Figo's Portugal teams, the Turks who made a semi final run in 2002, Columbia (led by Valderrama) in 1994 just as few exampls of some who never made it over the hump. This time it is Belgium. After many down years, they have its best collection of talent since the Enzo Scifo team of 1986 finished fourth.

The WC, like many tournaments (playoffs) don't always see the best team win but the team that gets on a little roll and feels good about itself. The US survived the group of death, when all prognosticators picked them last. This team has a little swagger, but not cockiness. It will be a fight, but one I think we can win.

Sorry for the long winded response (although if you are reading this, I have nothing to apologize for). :p
Well said! +1 for you.

I don't know his game well but does bradley suck or just having a bad tournament. He looks awful

I don't know his game well but does bradley suck or just having a bad tournament. He looks awful

Bradley is the team's best player. Part of his struggles have been that he has been asked to alter his game. He is at his best as a box-to-box MF. Whle playing for Roma, Bradley played the role of "windshield wiper." He would repel opposing midfield attacks, and whip passes forward. On the national team, he is asked to take on the creative MF responsibilties as well.

Bradley is the team's best player. Part of his struggles have been that he has been asked to alter his game. He is at his best as a box-to-box MF. Whle playing for Roma, Bradley played the role of "windshield wiper." He would repel opposing midfield attacks, and whip passes forward. On the national team, he is asked to take on the creative MF responsibilties as well.
That's an interesting debate as to who the best US player is. I would go with Dempsey but I could see people picking Bradley or Howard.

That's an interesting debate as to who the best US player is. I would go with Dempsey but I could see people picking Bradley or Howard.
From what I've watched this Cup my number #1 is Dempsey but Howard really impressed me

He has not been great for sure and for me he was a standout in 2010 and I am hoping he will be able to "reset" his game now the Group play is over.

Jermaine Jones and Matt Besler have been terrific so far, as has my all time fave, DeMarcus Beasley.

Agree 100% on Jones and Besler. Jones goal against Portugal is one of my favorites of the tournament.

Belgium as some World class players, as well as a couple of Spurs, but they are beatable. Germany vs. Algeria should be a walkover. I didn't like Group H at all, we have a definite shot to win.

Agree. On paper they have some big names: Fellaini, Hazarad, Lukakau, Vertonghen, Mirallas (I only know the EPL guys) but they do not seem to have gelled as a team. They won all their games (Group of Meh) and I was not overly impressed. I think the US functions better as a unit. It will be tight as a crab's ass*, but I think we will win.

*water tight :)

From what I've watched this Cup my number #1 is Dempsey but Howard really impressed me

Howard might well be the best all round goalie in the Tournament. Very good shot stopper, good on crosses, commands the box, vocal leader. Battle tested. Must be a great feeling to be a defender and have that guy behind you.

Brazil-Chile
Colombia-Uruguay
Mexico-Holland
Costa Rica - Greece
France-Nigeria
Germany-Algeria
Argentina-Switz
Belgium-USA

Some great looking games. Only downside is that someone is going out on penalties, which is a tough way to lose...

I am going with Brazil, Colombia, Holland, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Argentina, USA

Robben needs to wear a scuba mask... he should have been booked earlier for diving but the ref showed leniency.

Slight contact and he goes down like he is shot by a .50 caliber and the ref buys it.

Back