2014 World Cup

Argentina might as well just advance past the group stage and let the other 3 teams fight for 2nd.

Was hoping for Swiss or Belgium group. Belgium is getting too much attention for me. Too much hype. Colombia group also.

Spain group, Uruguay group and US group are the toughest.

Argentina might as well just advance past the group stage and let the other 3 teams fight for 2nd.

Was hoping for Swiss or Belgium group. Belgium is getting too much attention for me. Too much hype. Colombia group also.

Spain group, Uruguay group and US group are the toughest.

It is a very hard group but it should be fun watching. Hopefully the U.S. can beat Ghana in the first game and hope Portugal struggles like it did in qualifying,

Brutal draw to be sure, but another major hurdle is the travel. The US will travel more than any other team, about 9,000 miles. Two trips to the Amazon won't be easy, it's a jungle out there. But maybe the US will be better equipped to handle that over Germany and Portugal.

Also, it looks like Platini owes FIFA the pro quo, because France's group was the quid.

US announced their 30 man roster (to be pared down to 23 by June 2):

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Maurice Edu (Philadelphia Union), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Maurice Edu (Philadelphia Union), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

If you told me 5 years ago that Eddie Johnson and Brek Shea wouldn't even make the final 30, I'd have said that must be a real good squad.
We'll see.

If you told me 5 years ago that Eddie Johnson and Brek Shea wouldn't even make the final 30, I'd have said that must be a real good squad.
We'll see.

I would feel a lot better if we had the 2002 Donovan and Beasley. My concern is team speed. Howard needs to be the best goalkeeper in the group to have any chance to advance.

We'll see.

I would feel a lot better if we had the 2002 Donovan and Beasley. My concern is team speed. Howard needs to be the best goalkeeper in the group to have any chance to advance.

Can't argue about Johnson. He is having a miserable year in MLS, and is arguing with teammates. Shea just leveled off to me.

The biggest concern to me are the back four, especially Beasley. I would use Parkhurst in his place. While Parkhurst will never make any overlapping runs like DMB, he is just more defensively sound. And for every nice run DMB may make, he gets beat many more times.

The first game against Ghana is a must win obviously. Of course I go back a wonder if the US didn't go full tilt against Panama, which saved Mexico from elimination. Because all the crap play by that over-rated Mexico side, they found themselves in a workable group. I hate FIFA.

Brek Shea has dropped off the face of the earth. I went to a few FC Dallas games in 2011? and he was impressive enough. Good work-rate, pace, decent skills and I thought he might cut it at a mid-table Premier League team... not even close. He made little impact at Stoke and apparently even less at Barnsley when on loan.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26485535

Too bad. He probably needs to come back to the US and get his career going again before it is too late.

Klinsmann doesn't like him. I don't think it makes that much sense. He has a nose for the goal that few on the team have. Time to move on though. Go USA. See you in Harrison.

i started a pool on espn.
Group: redmen.com
motto: where
i've already entered the winning bracket but 2nd place is up for grabs.

Do you have a link to the pool? I can't seem to find it.

I think you mean 3rd place is up for grabs, and you have entered the second place bracket.

Back