2014 World Cup

In all honesty, who really cares about the World Cup? The US is not a soccer country. It never was, and it never will be. They can keep trying to push it on people as much as they want, but it will never catch on, much like the WNBA (who actually knew there still was a WNBA). The US will never win a World Cup simply because people just don't care enough. The sooner everyone realizes this, the better.
do you work in the city? Go look at a bar and tell me no one cares about the world cup. I am I'm in ohare chicago and its 5 rows deep watching in every bar. You have a case with mls but not world cup

In all honesty, who really cares about the World Cup? The US is not a soccer country. It never was, and it never will be. They can keep trying to push it on people as much as they want, but it will never catch on, much like the WNBA (who actually knew there still was a WNBA). The US will never win a World Cup simply because people just don't care enough. The sooner everyone realizes this, the better.
I love soccer, but after watching Brazil being rewarded for flopping against Croatiia , I can see why people feel that Mexican wrestling is more legit then the world cup.

maybe you should take a look at this before you talk about trying to push it on people.... people are accepting it very well and enjoying the (insert excrement word here) out of it....

http://www.theamericanoutlaws.com/

do you work in the city? Go look at a bar and tell me no one cares about the world cup. I am I'm in ohare chicago and its 5 rows deep watching in every bar. You have a case with mls but not world cup

Don't take the bait.
When I traveled down south on business, I was constantly reminded that NASCAR rules the country.
Didn't care then , don't care now.
Soccer has arrived and I'm happy about that.
I know lifetime baseball fans that are pissed as shit regarding soccer's rising popularity.
It's as if it's a personal "foreign" attack against the american game.

Crap. I had Spain going to the finals. Not sure if they make it to the second round with Chile waiting.

We were at Il Mulino last night in Roslyn and the entire staff was watching the game. We sat down at 5:15 and were there 3 hours because service was slow. Luckily it's my favorite restaurant on the island so I don't mind lingering

I love soccer, but after watching Brazil being rewarded for flopping against Croatiia , I can see why people feel that Mexican wrestling is more legit then the world cup.

I never played soccer but a lot of my friends did. One actually played for US in World Cup. I watch every game now that is on TV can't get enough but this diving has to go. These guys act like they broken legs the take the free kick and are sprinting all over. Personally, I think it's time for soccer to move to 2 refs, its a lot of ground to cover for 1 guy over 90 minutes. Most of my friends don't watch because of the theatrics.

"If there are 23 players better than Landon Donovan, then we have a chance at winning the World Cup."
--Bruce Arena

That Arena quote is a bit disingenuous. He was protecting one of his guys. First off we understand Klinsmann doesn't like Donovan personally, because Donovan is a bit flakey. And the sabbatcal from soccer was the last straw.

But it is also about how Donovan fits into this team. Maybe they needed to move away from him to change things abound. And was having a mediocre year in MLS. The US advancing out of its group will not be predicated on Donovan being on the roster or not, imo. This is Bradley's team. He is the engine.

Don't take the bait.
When I traveled down south on business, I was constantly reminded that NASCAR rules the country.
Didn't care then , don't care now.
Soccer has arrived and I'm happy about that.
I know lifetime baseball fans that are pissed as shit regarding soccer's rising popularity.
It's as if it's a personal "foreign" attack against the american game.

But the thing is...soccer as a sport in general is not rising in popularity in the US. And it's not like its a game that just started a few years ago and we weren't really exposed to it until recently. This is a game that is over 100+ years old.....and its still not popular. In a couple of weeks, when the World Cup is over, who is really going to be concerned about soccer?

The reason the World Cup is big is because it's something that only happens every 4 years, and because to other countries it's their main sport. I think a good comparison for soccer would be like the Olympics. Sure, its great to watch events like track and field, volleyball, speed skating, and curling (just to name a few)....and bars are packed full of people watching these events....but did you notice how outside of the Olympics, these sports are rarely covered? I don't see ESPN showing the Championship games for the National Volleyball League (if there even is one).

Like I said before, soccer never was and never will be popular in the US. The audience just isn't there for it...

On a different issue, fhere are rumors that have begun to float around, that the US was told to be ready to replace Qatar as host of the 2022 WC. We know bribery runs rampant when it comes to hosting Olympics and WC. Look at the crap show in Brazil. They built a stadium in the Amazon, and officials are shocked they having heavy rain. Really!

Also Putin lined alot of pockets to get 2018 over England. But the Qatar selection is so outlandish, it even stinks by FIFA's low standards. That country has no soccer presence, 120 degrees in the summer, and had made being gay illegal.

Sepp Blatter will probably lose the next election for FIFA president. He was the driving force behind the Russia and Qatar picks. Also, Franz Beckenbauer was suspended from his FIFA gig for 90 days for failing to answer questions from Federal prosecutors over bribery allegations from the 2018 and 2022 WC.

Russia may still get it because of time constraints. But 2022 is where a sacrificial lamb awaits.

Sepp Blatter is a corrupt buffoon.

Great tournament so far. No draws, lots of goals. Germany smashed Ronaldo & Portugal; Holland annhilated the tiki-taka.

Messi scored a beauty last night, leaving about 5 defenders on their collective arses.

Costa Rica over Uruguay was so much fun; Switzerlands last gasp winner over Ecuador. Honduras trying to kick the French off the field.

All wonderful stuff. Every game (except 12 man Brazil :)) has been fun.

Now it is time for the US the break the Ghana hoodoo. C'mon Clint from Nacogdoches!! Even Altidore will score :p

no comments from anyone ? damn even I watched the game. I figured you guys would be going nuts. lol

no comments from anyone ? damn even I watched the game. I figured you guys would be going nuts. lol

The middle 85 minutes of the game was like watching the Johnies hit free throws at the end of the game to close one out... Nail biter and the clock couldn't move fast enough

no comments from anyone ? damn even I watched the game. I figured you guys would be going nuts. lol[/quote

Here's a comment: USA-USA-USA!!!

Great win, two chances and two goals. Who the heck is John Brooks? :cheer:

We survived a bit of an onslaught between the two goals and it looked like a point was all we were going to get. Great team spirit. Thought Howard, Beasley, Beckerman and Hones were great. Bradley a bit sub-par. Altidore actually looked decent until he was injured.

And what a finish by our man from Nacogdoches!

We should be very confident going into the Portugal game. Just contain Ronaldo and the battle is half won.

Back