Zuby “Beast II”

No disrespect and I love zuby. He made great progress and his contributions on defense and with his effort were always there. I’ve got no worry about him being a 20-25 minute guy at the 5 next year. But he was more than solid on D and on the boards, if he wasn’t offensively challenged, he’d have been a much bigger contributor this season. Him looking somewhat comfortable shooting a wide open 3, does not really tell me anything. Mitchell Robinson has clips of him draining 3s in workouts, I don’t think it translates to games.

I agree with Boo, we heard the “4” talk last off season too. I would not believe it until I see it. It’s not that he can’t play the traditional PF spot, it’s that a 5 playing next to him isn’t really ideal for how we or most teams play.
Going in to last season, didn't we hear that Soriano was working on his shooting range, and even extending out to beyond the 3 point line? By the end of the season, we were just hoping that he got some bunnies. Can never say never, but I don't see Zuby as a long range threat.

He needs to work on his hands and footwork around the basket. It so, he can get us some points. But it's his D, rebounding and muscle that will always be his biggest asset and keep him on the floor.

PS. Still baffled by use of Zuby and Traore together last season.

I do but even with improvement, he is not a starter on a good team. Are we trying to compete for a natty or for 5th place in the big east?

You cant say we need to be a top 15 team and compete for a natty and want guys like posh/ledlum returning and guys like Zuby starting.

We have Rick Pitino here to bring in studs. We will not settle!
Doesn’t matter who Pitino brings in, UConn is a lock to win it again anyway. Right?

Just squirrel the NIL money away and wait until UConn is no longer a lock to win a national title. Then and only then, should they go get those studs.

I do but even with improvement, he is not a starter on a good team. Are we trying to compete for a natty or for 5th place in the big east?

You cant say we need to be a top 15 team and compete for a natty and want guys like posh/ledlum returning and guys like Zuby starting.

We have Rick Pitino here to bring in studs. We will not settle!
Natty ice?

We’re not competing for a national title this year. Let’s get off the bubble first.

I thought the reason he didn’t play the 4 was a combination of his lack of offense and our lack of depth at the 5.
That too but there were times at the end of some games when Ledlum went out and a rebounding presence was needed and coach put in other wing players. Remember how many posters were hoping that Soriano and Zuby would be on the court together, well even in blow out wins, that never happened.

I bet Iwuchukwu was promised nothing. If he beats Ejiofor in open competition he deserves the job. But I bet he doesn't.
If Zuby doesn't hit the portal by the deadline you can be sure that Zuby will be penciled in as a 4 as I stated. As a junior he wants no part of being a sub. Rick loves his athleticism, and Zuby believes his best chance for a pro future is as a 4, and not an undersized 5.

If Zuby doesn't hit the portal by the deadline you can be sure that Zuby will be penciled in as a 4 as I stated. As a junior he wants no part of being a sub. Rick loves his athleticism, and Zuby believes his best chance for a pro future is as a 4, and not an undersized 5.
I think we are going to be really hamstrung If he's actually a threat to leave unless he plays the 4.

Would have worked great if we landed the Stanford kid but no one else who we currently know about would score enough at the 5 for us with Zuby at the 4.

I think we are going to be really hamstrung If he's actually a threat to leave unless he plays the 4.

Would have worked great if we landed the Stanford kid but no one else who we currently know about would score enough at the 5 for us with Zuby at the 4.
I didn't say that. I said that Zuby wants the opportunity to start and feels his future lies at the 4. A few people here contested that Zuby be given the opportunity be the starting 4, but to me at least, it's very clear Rick had targeted starting centers on the portal. As a junior if Rick was going after starting 5's and planned on Zuby only playing the 5, pretty sure he'd be gone in the portal.

Rick loves Zuby's potential for improvement. He has already sat down with all returning players, setting expectations for next season. Pretty certain Taylor was not in alignment with Rick's plans of having him in the rotation but not necessarily starting. I'd heard the buzz of Taylor contemplating leaving back while we were in reg season.

I think if Vince is healthy he will provide enough points, and I also think Zuby will surprise at the 4. With Luis at either the 2 or 3 we have some serious rim protectors in the starting lineup. It's hard to full court press without that.

I didn't say that. I said that Zuby wants the opportunity to start and feels his future lies at the 4. A few people here contested that Zuby be given the opportunity be the starting 4, but to me at least, it's very clear Rick had targeted starting centers on the portal. As a junior if Rick was going after starting 5's and planned on Zuby only playing the 5, pretty sure he'd be gone in the portal.

Rick loves Zuby's potential for improvement. He has already sat down with all returning players, setting expectations for next season. Pretty certain Taylor was not in alignment with Rick's plans of having him in the rotation but not necessarily starting. I'd heard the buzz of Taylor contemplating leaving back while we were in reg season.

I think if Vince is healthy he will provide enough points, and I also think Zuby will surprise at the 4. With Luis at either the 2 or 3 we have some serious rim protectors in the starting lineup. It's hard to full court press without that.
Not arguing here just discussing. Zuby at the 4 and Luis at the 2 would be an extremely hard lineup to press with, even with the added rim protection.

If we don’t add another 5, do you still feel as strongly about Zuby playing the 4?

Not arguing here just discussing. Zuby at the 4 and Luis at the 2 would be an extremely hard lineup to press with, even with the added rim protection.

If we don’t add another 5, do you still feel as strongly about Zuby playing the 4?
Zuby will probably start at PF and play minutes at C. If he develops a mid range jumper he will be outstanding. I’m sure he’s working on that now. He will be terrific. Plus He’s already a big fan favorite. That goes a long way with a player’s confidence. Trust Coach.

Zuby will probably start at PF and play minutes at C. If he develops a mid range jumper he will be outstanding. I’m sure he’s working on that now. He will be terrific. Plus He’s already a big fan favorite. That goes a long way with a player’s confidence. Trust Coach.
Big plus in Rick’s system is sprinting back & as Marillac has noted Zuby can run court w best of them.

The Zuby at the 4 convo takes a plot twist if either Cliff or Mitchell come onboard. Im very curious to see what unfolds.

Mitchell/Scott is probably already 40 minutes there.

But adding Cliff probably solidifies Zuby at the 4, with Vince backing up.

Add both and I have no idea. Lol

No of course we aren't arguing. I respect your knowledge and tone always.

Pressing i think should not be 94 feet end 40 mins.

If we were zone pressing id love luis at half court. His length and anticipation if healthy would cause problems. We havent seen the beat of him yet.

But agree it may not work with thoae 3. Vince is supposed to be a great athlete. Zuby is also, a disrupter.

We have to see how it all plays out. I don't like predicting about guys i haven't seen play, but i am high on both luis and zuby.

Would love us to snare a top notch scorer. We will see

Trust him completely. Just know to take things he says in the off season at face value. Again, love Zuby!

Zuby is not a back to the basket player. He looked very uncomfortable all year.

But we did see signs of a good looking jump shot towards end of the season.

With a full off season dedicated I think he can make the jump. Will he be a superstar? No. But I think 8-10 pts plus aggressive defense and hustle will make him very valuable.

You’re wrong here.

Pitino rarely, if ever, promises guys minutes. Zuby is not an exception to that rule and I'd be shocked if he didn't know that -- especially considering he personally recruited two guys who are going to take up some of his minutes.

Pitino rarely, if ever, promises guys minutes. Zuby is not an exception to that rule and I'd be shocked if he didn't know that -- especially considering he personally recruited two guys who are going to take up some of his minutes.
Every opportunity to start at 4, backup at 5. I didnt say anything about a promise of a set # of minutes but i bet he averages 24 +/- a couple.

Would bet the house he is in the starting lineup when the first ball drops and not at the 5 unless there is an injury.

Back