UConn Makes Us Want to ... Hurl

I don't pretend to have sources or moles and I've never coached AAU ball nor did I play D1 or even D 3 basketball and I never got a scholarship to Iona as a second baseman. That said, I'm hearing from reliable sources: Hurley to the Lakers, Pitino to UConn and Jim Calhoun - the greatest coach of his generation, he has pieces of Mike Schrewrinski in his stool - returns in triumph to the Big East. Calhoun's SJU defeats Pitino's UConn in the regional semis when Brady Dunlap drains his 12th three of the game as time expires, but in the end SJU loses to eventual champion Jeff Capel's Pittsburgh Panthers.

I am sure he did. But he was probably seduced by the money and settled on being an irrelevant, mediocre nba coach rather then the brightest star in his sport.

The same will happen to Hurley in that Laker dysfunction. Which is why he will not do it.

Id rather make real good money and be the best at what I do then make ridiculous money and be a nobody.
You forget about the opportunity for him to be the best coach in the nba.

There are no guarantees in life but it’s not like he doesn’t have real experiences, relationships and familiarities with UConn or don’t those mean anything to you in your decision making? Guarantees are pipe dreams for fools, they don’t exist.
Right and I agree. You said going to LA doesn’t guarantee a good life. Staying at UConn doesn’t either. College fans are never satisfied.

My son is 18 and Id say your average sports fan. I just asked him, "Whos danny hurely?" He said, "Uconn's coach".

I said "whos billy donovan". He said "Who?"

Thank you for making my point, son!

Right and I agree. You said going to LA doesn’t guarantee a good life. Staying at UConn doesn’t either. College fans are never satisfied.
I absolutely never said that about LA, don’t change what I post to suit yourself; I alluded to convincing his wife to move to the west coast; she is family orientated and all her family and most of Danny’s is on the east coast and it is pretty well known convincing her to move was a major factor in his job changes.

I absolutely never said that about LA, don’t change what I post to suit yourself; I alluded to convincing his wife to move to the west coast; she is family orientated and all her family and most of Danny’s is on the east coast and it is pretty well known convincing her to move was a major factor in his job changes.
Ok man. So you said him not having success in LA and then going to a different college wouldn’t guarantee happiness.

“He has obviously had amazing success at UConn, evidently he and his family love it there and going to the Lakers and having the option to return to college if it doesn’t work far from guarantees he and his family will find that level of satisfaction upon the return.”

And my only point is staying at UConn doesn’t guarantee it either. Not sure how this changes the point I was making but sorry I guess for offending you.

Last edited:
I am sure he did. But he was probably seduced by the money and settled on being an irrelevant, mediocre nba coach rather then the brightest star in his sport.

The same will happen to Hurley in that Laker dysfunction. Which is why he will not do it.

Id rather make real good money and be the best at what I do then make ridiculous money and be a nobody.
He prefers the pros over college where it is strictly about the Xs, Os, Jimmy’s and the Joe’s and not all the other stuff that goes into college coaching. It is why Pitino left Kentucky not to mention PJ, Cal, Steven’s and others have left. The best players play in the NBA, which is the best league. There are coaches who strive for that. Some like Coach K donkt but others do. Not too many who made the jump have regrets about doing it.

With NIL and the changing landscape of College ball, only having to worry about the Xs, Os, Jimmy’s and the Joe’s is that much more appealing.

Im saying that 15 years ago, Billy Donovan was a national star. As of today, hardly anyone even knows where he is.

Donovan had a chance to be maybe the greatest coach in college history and settled to be a mediocre nba coach who has done nothing on the court in 15 years.

But the money is great. Good for him.
Money is great and he loves what he is doing. Sounds like a win to me.

Money is great and he loves what he is doing. Sounds like a win to me.
I am sure he does. But if he stayed at Florida, I believe we would be talking about Donovan and Wooden as the greatest college coaches ever.

His legacy suffered for money. Oh well.

My son is 18 and Id say your average sports fan. I just asked him, "Whos danny hurely?" He said, "Uconn's coach".

I said "whos billy donovan". He said "Who?"

Thank you for making my point, son!
Does your 18 year old follow the NBA? Does he know the names of the two head coaches in the finals? Does he know the name of the Head Coach of the team who played UConn in the finals? Does it really matter whether he does or not. As egotistical as Hurley might be, he is not ARod.

I am sure he does. But if he stayed at Florida, I believe we would be talking about Donovan and Wooden as the greatest college coaches ever.

His legacy suffered for money. Oh well.
Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he turns into Wooden, maybe he winds up like Urban Meyer (former FU football coach who also won two championships there) or something in between. Fact is you will never know and he is probably okay with that.

Ok man. So you said him not having success in LA and then going to a different college wouldn’t guarantee happiness.

“He has obviously had amazing success at UConn, evidently he and his family love it there and going to the Lakers and having the option to return to college if it doesn’t work far from guarantees he and his family will find that level of satisfaction upon the return.”

And my only point is staying at UConn doesn’t guarantee it either. Not sure how this changes the point I was making but sorry I guess for offending you.
So please show me where I ever even mentioned LA? And your absurd assumption that all would be well if he made all that $ with the Lakers because he could always go back to college is what I was commenting on.

So please show me where I ever even mentioned LA? And your absurd assumption that all would be well if he made all that $ with the Lakers because he could always go back to college is what I was commenting on.
Sorry. When you said go to the lakers, I wasn’t thinking the oswego lakers.

Not everything is an attack man

Sorry. When you said go to the lakers, I wasn’t thinking the oswego lakers.

Not everything is an attack man
Well then quote to what I post, I never mentioned LA as a city or as the team guaranteeing anything, not remotely, so don’t give me the attack crap.

Last edited:
D
Well then quote to what I post, I never mentioned LA as a city or as the team guaranteed anything, not remotely so don’t give me the attack crap.
Did you not say that it wasn’t a guarantee they would find happiness if the lakers didn’t work out and instead went back to college? I don’t even know what this is about?

“He has obviously had amazing success at UConn, evidently he and his family love it there and going to the Lakers and having the option to return to college if it doesn’t work far from guarantees he and his family will find that level of satisfaction upon the return.” - Logan

So again, my only point was, agreeing with you that nothings guaranteed and it’s no guarantee they have happiness staying in UConn either. It was just a response to your response. Not an argument.

Back