Transfer Portal

UNC is arguing that they showed evidence that his transfer was for mental health reasons but it looks like the NCAA is calling BS on this stuff.

Walker says he has received mental health counseling since he arrived at North Carolina. Cunningham says both North Carolina and Kent State "have provided overwhelming evidence detailing his mental health needs" and pointed out the transfer waiver requirements were restricted after Walker moved to North Carolina.

This story from before the hearing gives a good breakdown of Walkers journey. He only played Football games at one school before transferring from Kent state (where his coach left to join Coach Prime at Colorado) and interestingly the story starts with a knee injury his Senior year in high school which resulted in his scholarship offer being pulled at ETSU. Kid is missing out on playing with a first round qb pick in front of scouts every game because he practiced at NC Central in the spring of 2021. NCAA should be ashamed.

Rick capitalized off the portal. He will continue to do so. These aren't concerns for us anymore, gentlemen (using this term loosely). Extend your pinkies, raise that glass, and savor the flavor.
Not only that Rick wants to win now ( well everyone technically does ) but not sure how many coaches have their fingerprint on every part of the program ( I doubt we ever did ) and he has known from before he got hired when he told Shanley NIL was more important to him than his pay and he isnt coming here to lose to now the portal which I will absolutely admit I got nervous including the first Novita party which we were at the Slaz commit point. Oh man what a difference 2 months makes for my metal soul

I will never doubt Rick ever again. INWT

And if anyone gets a chance should read Pete Thamel's twitter page the other day as the NCAA pushed back against Mack Brown and UNC with their criticism over denying Tez Walker a waiver.

Again they basically said YOU meaning the AD's and Coaches (and they included Brown himself) BEGGED the NCAA to stop with the waivers and make kids sit when they are a multiple transfer and still an undergrad. They said no more waivers. The NCAA is doing exactly what they were asked to do and if people like Jay Bilas and others want to criticize them then go to the people who asked for it.

These coaches are such hypocrites, "NO WAIVERS make them sit. Oh wait I didn't mean MY kids have to play under those rules...."

And exactly what is the hardship here. Kid is on scholarship, can go to class and practice. He just has to sit a year before he plays. What is the hardship argument? He has to play now or he will have a mental breakdown? Really stepping on a court or field immediately as opposed to sitting a year will cause him irreparable mental harm? Really?

Here is the statement from the NCAA yesterday. Evidently there have been threats against some of the NCAA board members who rule on these.

The DI Board is troubled by the public remarks made last week by some of the University of North Carolina leadership. Those comments directly contradict what we and our fellow Division I members and coaches called for vociferously – including UNC's own football coach.

Here is the statement from the NCAA yesterday. Evidently there have been threats against some of the NCAA board members who rule on these.

The DI Board is troubled by the public remarks made last week by some of the University of North Carolina leadership. Those comments directly contradict what we and our fellow Division I members and coaches called for vociferously – including UNC's own football coach.
If anyone thinks UNC’s leadership is unhinged now over a football player, wait until Jackson decommits and comes to SJU. 😉

Even if we get Maker on board, I imagine Center will be a focus in the portal next year. Give the young man time to develop.
I know when he worked Ejiofor out for the first time, Pitino was surprised that he was good enough to play PF, and his dad responded something to the effect of "That's what I've been saying!"

That said, I think it will be easier to play Ejiofor at center and find a talented PF in the portal than to find a starting center.

Then again, I'm still not fully used to the 3D chess that Pitino has been playing, so if anyone can pull a starting C from the portal, it's him.

Mikey has been a known Name for a while... kid has to be counting his Blessings that he has a 2nd chance on Life with the gun charges dropped

Is there a possibility that Walter Clayton, Jr. enters the transfer portal to play for Rick Pitino and St. John's next year? He must be aware of the media coverage Rick Pitino, St. John's and even Daniss Jenkins are now getting and St. John's needs a point guard next year. Is this farfetched?

Back