St. John's Big 12 rumor/Pitino & Prime

We've repeated the same stuff over and over, but I think at this point, if Gonzaga doesn't want to join the Big East without a WCC contingent then it's not worth it. I do think St. Mary's is a solid program and San Fran has potential upside but I'm not interested in the other schools.

If we really care about playing Gonzaga, then we should schedule them. As should the other Big East schools.

With the inclusion of the Pac-12 schools, I totally understand why Gonzaga admin would want to join the Big 12. Logistically, it is a lot easier to figure out.

Look at the Spokane airport direct flights available.
Dalllas-Fort Worth: TCU, 1hr drive to Baylor, one hour connecting flight to Texas Tech, Kansas and Houston
Denver: Colorado
Phoenix: Arizona State, 2hr drive to Arizona
Salt Lake City: Utah, 1hr drive to BYU (former rival)
Minneapolis: one hour connecting flight to Iowa State, two hour connecting flight to Cincinnati
Atlanta: one hour connecting flight to UCF

For the Big East, there are literally no direct flights from Spokane airport to a single school. They'd have to connect from MSP or ATL. It would be a logistical nightmare.
I would think BE Mens BB teams would fly charter which obviously would be expensive, but at least direct. Problem is with the other sports.

As has been discussed previously, most of Gonzaga’s sports primarily compete in regional invitationals and events. There will be a few head-to-head sports that will have it tough, though.

Gonzaga has 18 varsity sports (Men’s and Women’s sports are split equally at 9 a piece with indoor and outdoor track and field counted as separate sports) of which 13 (6 Men’s and 7 Women’s) play in the West Coast Conference.

The West Coast Conference does not sponsor Men’s or Women’s Track and Field nor Men’s Rowing. Those are probably the sports going to regional invitationals and events possibly as independents unless they are in another Conference for those sports (like Denver is in the Big East for their Men’s and Women’s Lacrosse programs as their primary”conference“ , the Summit League does not sponsor Lacrosse).

The Big East sponsors all of Gonzaga’s varsity sports except for Men’s and Women’s Rowing.

The Big 12 sponsors all of Gonzaga’s Women’s varsity sports but does not sponsor two of Gonzaga’s Men’s varsity sports (Rowing and Soccer).

UConn lost to BC to fall to 1-7 with road games against #21 Tennessee and #25 James Madison up next.

This is horrific timing for them to be having this bad of a season.

At 1-7 UConn is now disqualified from making a Bowl (would've been nearly impossible given their remaining schedule, but now it's official). They also beat Boston College last year, so this is another brutal loss for them. The Boneyard has already given up on Mora.

This is the worst case scenario for them. If Yormark couldn't convince the B12 presidents to add UConn after they seemingly revitalized their football and won a basketball National Championship, then they certainly won't be taking them anytime soon. I highly, highly doubt UConn goes anywhere until the ACC GoR is broken- and even then I'm not convinced a zombie ACC would want them.

At 1-7 UConn is now disqualified from making a Bowl (would've been nearly impossible given their remaining schedule, but now it's official). They also beat Boston College last year, so this is another brutal loss for them. The Boneyard has already given up on Mora.

This is the worst case scenario for them. If Yormark couldn't convince the B12 presidents to add UConn after they seemingly revitalized their football and won a basketball National Championship, then they certainly won't be taking them anytime soon. I highly, highly doubt UConn goes anywhere until the ACC GoR is broken- and even then I'm not convinced a zombie ACC would want them.

Not even listed

Not even listed

Yikes... once the Big Ten / SEC / Big 12 raids them, the ACC is literally going to be the AAC that UConn left. Just swap Cincy, UCF, and Houston with teams like Wake Forest, Boston College, and maybe Syracuse if they're lucky. They'd also have plenty of travel to places like Texas and the West Coast. When half the teams would be AAC leftovers it certainly wouldn't be a Power conference, nor would it get a Power conference TV deal.

Now the real fun begins. Games that matter. Let Rick cook remember its just year 1 and he assembled the best team he can in about a month's time. Just think about that. In about a months time he created a brand new team. Normally kids are being recruited or watched as sophmores juniors.

Now the real fun begins. Games that matter. Let Rick cook remember its just year 1 and he assembled the best team he can in about a month's time. Just think about that. In about a months time he created a brand new team. Normally kids are being recruited or watched as sophmores juniors.
The comparison here to Colorado may also be apt. It's hard to win year one with a roster that's mostly transfers

Sanders isn't anywhere near the caliber of coach Pitino is, and I highly doubt he will ever be.

The difference between him and Pitino flipping a roster, via recruiting and/or the portal, is that Pitino actually knows what he is doing. Sanders, on the other hand, hasn't proven a thing.

IMHO, he's feeling the pressure and his ego will begin to consume him. He just demoted Sean Lewis (OC) from play calling duties, which is absolutely ridiculous. The offense was the only (relatively) bright spot on that team.

I am indifferent when it comes to "Prime," but I certainly don't want to see him fail.

Football is just a different animal. There are so many more players. Deion will be fine, but it wasn’t going to be this year. I could see him winning 10 games next year.

As far as the media is concerned, Pitino and Sanders are both huge names trying to revive dead programs with new rosters. That's the story and they're pushing it to obtain clicks/ad revenue and TV ratings. There's obviously no comparison whatsoever in terms of their coaching careers at this point.

Tennessee was favored by 35, so of course UConn lost by 56. UConn only has 3 games remaining- @ #21 James Madison, vs. FCS Sacred Heart, and @ UMass. They'll almost certainly go L, W, and then UMass will be a coin flip, but if they want to keep this season from being a total failure then they'd need to upset #21 James Madison this weekend (they won't).

Tennessee was favored by 35, so of course UConn lost by 56. UConn only has 3 games remaining- @ #21 James Madison, vs. FCS Sacred Heart, and @ UMass. They'll almost certainly go L, W, and then UMass will be a coin flip, but if they want to keep this season from being a total failure then they'd need to upset #21 James Madison this weekend (they won't).
Post of the day!

As far as the media is concerned, Pitino and Sanders are both huge names trying to revive dead programs with new rosters. That's the story and they're pushing it to obtain clicks/ad revenue and TV ratings. There's obviously no comparison whatsoever in terms of their coaching careers at this point.

JMU is on a mission to be the top ranked non-Big Five Conference school and prove a point that the NCAA should grant their second waiver request to cut short their transition period from FCS to FBS allowing them to be Bowl eligible this year (where their conference would then probably make them eligible to play in their Conference Championship game if they win their division (which they would have won last year on tie breaker). JMU is 17-3 playing nothing but a FBS schedule since transitioning from FCS last year.

There is the possibility of JMU overlooking UConn with their last two games
against conference and divisional foes Appalachian State at home and Costal Carolina on the road coming up afterward. The chances of that is slim and none and slim just left town.

Last edited:
Back