SJU Portal Targets

Guards: Smith, Wilcher, Liotopoulos
Wings: Luis, Dunlap, Scott, Glover
Bigs: Ejafor, Iwuchukwu, Maker

Adding a big would be good; could add another wing or guard and be just fine too. Adding a quality piece in both spots would be great.

But in any one of those 3 events the key is going to be how quickly the staff can figure out what roles and rotation are most effective ... and what team chemistry is like. It's going to be a tough mix with Luis coming back expecting to be The Man, Wilcher and Dunlap with experience in the program looking for more minutes, 2-3 transfers who were significant players elsewhere coming into the mix, and a couple of talented freshmen who probably aren't expecting to sit on the bench all year.

Ejafor, Iwuchukwu and Maker I'm not worried about from that standpoint, but the rest of the mix is potentially volatile. Think Ledlum would be a big help from a chemistry and leadership standpoint.

All doubly true if the next added piece is Kadary. I think he's a terrific player, but a wild card from a team chemistry standpoint. Not Curbelo, but still potentially difficult.
Isn’t Ayo still on the team?

Guards: Smith, Wilcher, Liotopoulos
Wings: Luis, Dunlap, Scott, Glover
Bigs: Ejafor, Iwuchukwu, Maker

Adding a big would be good; could add another wing or guard and be just fine too. Adding a quality piece in both spots would be great.

But in any one of those 3 events the key is going to be how quickly the staff can figure out what roles and rotation are most effective ... and what team chemistry is like. It's going to be a tough mix with Luis coming back expecting to be The Man, Wilcher and Dunlap with experience in the program looking for more minutes, 2-3 transfers who were significant players elsewhere coming into the mix, and a couple of talented freshmen who probably aren't expecting to sit on the bench all year.

Ejafor, Iwuchukwu and Maker I'm not worried about from that standpoint, but the rest of the mix is potentially volatile. Think Ledlum would be a big help from a chemistry and leadership standpoint.

All doubly true if the next added piece is Kadary. I think he's a terrific player, but a wild card from a team chemistry standpoint. Not Curbelo, but still potentially difficult.
Looking at your player breakdowns, the only position where I would feel we would hold our own is in the wings, given the experience, talent and depth. In terms of the guards, the only seemingly sure fire contributing player would be Smith. The other two are untested, lack experience. With no real power forward among them(Zuby has yet to prove he can be that) the bigs are by far the biggest concern.

Clearly we need another experienced guard and a forward (a 4) which seems to be the staffs goal now cause the line up that’s listed above would struggle to be in the upper half of the league, and that’s with no injuries.

Well, let's be ultra-conservative and say Repole's net worth is publically inflated and he is not actually worth $1.6B but $500M.

And let's say his annual return on his wealth is a paltry 3% - again being ultra-conservative.

That means he's getting returns of $15M in passive income.

Let's say he's bad with taxes too and gives 40% of it to Uncle Sam. That's $9M per year in what is more-or-less play money.

I'm not telling anyone how to spend their dough. But Repole could support the STJ payroll a few times over.
The analysis is missing one key item. Free cash flow. Huge difference.

The analysis is missing one key item. Free cash flow. Huge difference.
That's why I went ultra-conservative with wealth, returns, taxes, etc.

Don't think everything is tied up in ponies.

But again, his money, his choices. I don't begrudge him. Glad he's helping as much as he is. Clearly a difference maker for the program.

Isn’t Ayo still on the team?
Yes but not really relevant to this analysis unless you think he's going to be a rotation player (I like him, but if he's a rotation player we're in trouble).

I am less concerned about the"guard" spot than Silly given that there isn't much difference between wings and 2-guards but overall agree with Silly that you need a big and a guard to feel comfortable with the roster. And then you have to hope the roles/rotation/chemistry work themselves out

Which would mean Kadary at the 4?
Who knows if he or his people are ok with that.
More NIL stuff have to contend with.
Why do you keep moving Kadary to the 4 so easily😂 There is no scenario where Kadary defends the 4 over Watkins if they were on the court at the same time.

Why do you keep moving Kadary to the 4 so easily😂 There is no scenario where Kadary defends the 4 over Watkins if they were on the court at the same time.
He more a 3 I think
I don’t mind playing without a true 4 but we need someone to rebound and Kadary a better rebounder than Luis or Watkins.

Not counting on Kadary anyway.

He more a 3 I think
I don’t mind playing without a true 4 but we need someone to rebound and Kadary a better rebounder than Luis or Watkins.

Not counting on Kadary anyway.
Kadary can defend quick guards, Watkins and Luis cannot.

I’m not saying Kadary can’t play the 4, but then you’ve likely got 3 smaller players below him like Wilcher and Smith.

Back