SJU Portal Targets

Everyone talking about Repole and how he should outbid everyone else is beyond ridiculous. Every school competing for these elite players has one or multiple people like Repole. We are in on some of the guys because of Mike and others like him. We could be Seton Hall or the like where we can’t retain our guys or be in the mix for other top players. That’s not the case but also no one is writing blank checks either for these guys.
I don’t know why everyone thinks it’s Repole who won’t lay out the money. It may be Pitino , who as we have discussed in the past makes an offer and seems to stick by it. Who knows what goes on.

“If the 6-foot-7 guard withdrawals from the NBA Draft, he will have one year left of eligibility. The withdrawal deadline is on June 16. The NBA Draft will be on June 26-27.”

I’d love to hear some confirmation on this. I’m not sure how he doesnt have 2 years of eligibility left. Freshmen season was 20-21

20-21: 1st - COVID season (4 years left)
21-22: 2nd - Medical redshirt (4 years left)
22-23: 3rd - freshmen year (3 left)
23-24: 4th - sophomore year (2 left)

It would be like if Posh missed all of last season with a medical injury, he would have this year and next year still.

I had withdrawals reading the first sentence you highlighted in the article. Eeek.

If that is the baseline, then I would lean towards the information regarding eligibility to be incorrect as well.

“If the 6-foot-7 guard withdrawals from the NBA Draft, he will have one year left of eligibility. The withdrawal deadline is on June 16. The NBA Draft will be on June 26-27.”

I’d love to hear some confirmation on this. I’m not sure how he doesnt have 2 years of eligibility left. Freshmen season was 20-21

20-21: 1st - COVID season (4 years left)
21-22: 2nd - Medical redshirt (4 years left)
22-23: 3rd - freshmen year (3 left)
23-24: 4th - sophomore year (2 left)

It would be like if Posh missed all of last season with a medical injury, he would have this year and next year still.

He would definitely get that year back if he applied for it. If he's already getting invited to the combine I'm not sure why he'd want to spend two more years in college.

He would definitely get that year back if he applied for it. If he's already getting invited to the combine I'm not sure why he'd want to spend two more years in college.
High 6 to 7 figure potential. Not sure he’ll have that as 23 year old fringe guy. Regardless, it’s a factor for brining in a guy this cycle you’d think, especially with Pitino’s comments in the past.

I’d prefer just one of Smith & Richmond if I’m being honest. If they get both I’ll obviously trust Pitino’s ability to get them to buy in but it’s hard for me to see how that works right now. Especially with Wilcher who I viewed (and still do) as a keystone recruit. I do genuinely trust Pitino though…

I think I’m a little different than what seems to be the majority of the board in that I value our returning players a bit more. I WANT Wilcher, Luis, Zuby & Dunlap all to get huge minutes. If they’re not performing I’d obviously want those minutes decreased but I want to give it to them to start. I feel like some people just want to rush the portal & expect to get 5 of the top 15 guys and roll out a brand new roster with our returners taking a backseat to these new “stars” I don’t get that. I love the idea of adding a couple big new pieces like Omier or Cliff would have been or like Smith or Richmond will be but one of the main reasons we were all excited to get Pitino here is because of his coaching acumen and player development. That’s been his calling card. Now we have a more promising core of 4 young, returning players than we’ve had in awhile and we DON’T want to see them step into those roles? Why did we want them?

LOVE the Scott add. He’s not a star. He’s just a very good solid piece who will do his job. Give me a ballhandler like Smith or Richmond and one more veteran piece that can step into the rotation and I’m ready to go.

In just a blank choice I agree completely. A little different with our needs tho and think Mitchell would balance our roster a bit better assuming we’re lucky enough to get smith and Kadary. Still, would be ecstatic with Watkins.
I think the opposite actually. Think Watkins is the better fit for this roster. We desperately need guys that can shoot and keep the defense honest. Watkins can do that while Mitchell would clog up the lane even more than it already will be

I think the opposite actually. Think Watkins is the better fit for this roster. We desperately need guys that can shoot and keep the defense honest. Watkins can do that while Mitchell would clog up the lane even more than it already will be
Shooting is a good point. It’s just a bit of a challenge to have Zuby and Vince as your only 2 real interior players.

Except to make it work he would have to do it every year. Do the math.

Well, let's be ultra-conservative and say Repole's net worth is publically inflated and he is not actually worth $1.6B but $500M.

And let's say his annual return on his wealth is a paltry 3% - again being ultra-conservative.

That means he's getting returns of $15M in passive income.

Let's say he's bad with taxes too and gives 40% of it to Uncle Sam. That's $9M per year in what is more-or-less play money.

I'm not telling anyone how to spend their dough. But Repole could support the STJ payroll a few times over.

Guards: Smith, Wilcher, Liotopoulos
Wings: Luis, Dunlap, Scott, Glover
Bigs: Ejafor, Iwuchukwu, Maker

Adding a big would be good; could add another wing or guard and be just fine too. Adding a quality piece in both spots would be great.

But in any one of those 3 events the key is going to be how quickly the staff can figure out what roles and rotation are most effective ... and what team chemistry is like. It's going to be a tough mix with Luis coming back expecting to be The Man, Wilcher and Dunlap with experience in the program looking for more minutes, 2-3 transfers who were significant players elsewhere coming into the mix, and a couple of talented freshmen who probably aren't expecting to sit on the bench all year.

Ejafor, Iwuchukwu and Maker I'm not worried about from that standpoint, but the rest of the mix is potentially volatile. Think Ledlum would be a big help from a chemistry and leadership standpoint.

All doubly true if the next added piece is Kadary. I think he's a terrific player, but a wild card from a team chemistry standpoint. Not Curbelo, but still potentially difficult.

Offensively he does play more exclusively on the perimeter than you’d like, but I think he’s got the strength, athleticism and physicality to hold up on the defensive side.
Which would mean Kadary at the 4?
Who knows if he or his people are ok with that.
More NIL stuff have to contend with.

I’d prefer just one of Smith & Richmond if I’m being honest. If they get both I’ll obviously trust Pitino’s ability to get them to buy in but it’s hard for me to see how that works right now. Especially with Wilcher who I viewed (and still do) as a keystone recruit. I do genuinely trust Pitino though…

I think I’m a little different than what seems to be the majority of the board in that I value our returning players a bit more. I WANT Wilcher, Luis, Zuby & Dunlap all to get huge minutes. If they’re not performing I’d obviously want those minutes decreased but I want to give it to them to start. I feel like some people just want to rush the portal & expect to get 5 of the top 15 guys and roll out a brand new roster with our returners taking a backseat to these new “stars” I don’t get that. I love the idea of adding a couple big new pieces like Omier or Cliff would have been or like Smith or Richmond will be but one of the main reasons we were all excited to get Pitino here is because of his coaching acumen and player development. That’s been his calling card. Now we have a more promising core of 4 young, returning players than we’ve had in awhile and we DON’T want to see them step into those roles? Why did we want them?

LOVE the Scott add. He’s not a star. He’s just a very good solid piece who will do his job. Give me a ballhandler like Smith or Richmond and one more veteran piece that can step into the rotation and I’m ready to go.
I can appreciate what you’re saying regarding the returning players. And in an ideal world where kids are developed, stay 4 years and thrive in their last two would completely agree. But times have changed and these kids are no longer….. student athletes, loyal to their school, want to see the program progress. They are all about doing what’s in their own best FINANCIAL interest. So here is the sad reality. If Wilcher, Dunlap or Zuby had a great year, I’m 100% certain their names would be in the transfer portal minutes after the season ended looking for a better deal. And then what? As Coach Pitino has stated on numerous occasions, these kids are now professional athletes and must be treated as such.

The other reality is that while Coach Pitino will continue to work with players on their game while they are matriculated, long term player development will be a thing of the past while full time recruiting the portal, brokering deals is the new norm.

And the saddest thing about this whole thing for us Johnny fans is that in reality, having a great coach and player developer like Mr. Pitino comes in a distant second to a financial package when choosing a school by these kids. The big advantage we all thought we had in the area of recruiting with Coach on board no longer exists. 😡

Which would mean Kadary at the 4?
Who knows if he or his people are ok with that.
More NIL stuff have to contend with.
I don’t think there are real positions offensively. He’ll have the ball in his hands a ton. Defensively Kadary would spend a lot of time guarding 3s.

Fwiw, Tyler Kolek spent a lot of his time guarding 3s and 4s for Marquette.

Back