SJU Portal Targets

Fair.

Question would you rather smith and a guy who’s just a shooter primarily. Or smith and Kadary?

Because I’d love more shooting. But I wouldn’t take a guy just cause he’s a shooter, over adding a guy like Kadary.
I have no problem with guys bringing in even if I question if they fit. If get guys we’re supposed to get, guy I would have most confidence hitting a big three is Wilcher.
Smith to me much more of a question than to most on here I guess.

I will make a deal with the entire board. I won’t bring this up again but if this shooting thing isn’t addressed , once season starts anyone who complains about our three point shooting has to hit themselves in the nuts with a wiffle ball bat.

We might be signing two of the best rebound and go guys in the country. Let’s minimize the half court sets.

If I had a choice right now if I would rather Deivon and Kadary both shoot 35% from 3 or play all conference caliber defense…I’m taking the defense and not looking back.

Build that shooting back with Wilcher, Dunlap, Scott, and co.

Trilly on kadary:

“Kadary? Wouldn’t be surprised if he committed or didn’t commit. That’s literally how back and forth the kid has been. Same thing about entering the portal in the first place.”

“It’s close on Kadary. My source is cautiously optimistic just because the kid is a wildcard.”

Amase is nicer than me to not share this, lol.
But I do think this is a fair way to look at tomorrow.

We might be signing two of the best rebound and go guys in the country. Let’s minimize the half court sets.

If I had a choice right now if I would rather Deivon and Kadary both shoot 35% from 3 or play all conference caliber defense…I’m taking the defense and not looking back.

Build that shooting back with Wilcher, Dunlap, Scott, and co.
There are a lot of wiffle ball bats in my house so I can’t give my opinion of what is wrong with your post.

Kadary is way too good to pass up. I have concerns but that’s why you hire Rick. Getting both Smith and Kadary is a home run of epic proportions.
Big fan of Kadary. Have Luis, who I also like, but the 2 of them and then add Smith is where I think the issue lies. If had 1of those 2 and a Cam Spencer or Jordan Hawkins type guy, then Smith would make way more sense.

Trilly on kadary:

“Kadary? Wouldn’t be surprised if he committed or didn’t commit. That’s literally how back and forth the kid has been. Same thing about entering the portal in the first place.”

“It’s close on Kadary. My source is cautiously optimistic just because the kid is a wildcard.”

Amase is nicer than me to not share this, lol.
But I do think this is a fair way to look at tomorrow.
That seemed a little more like him just talking to sju fans than sharing inside info. But you’re right, if it said Kadary is likely signing tomorrow I would have shared it 😂

If both do indeed come aboard, I would love to know what RP said to Richmond to make him be willing to relinquish having the ball in his hands most of the time.

Right now, if Smith signs first, I'm not shocked at all to see Richmond suddenly announce another visit somewhere.

People keep saying that but it doesn’t make any sense. Yes a good point guard makes others better but it does not make guys who can’t shoot, shoot better or turn water into wine. Just ask Willie Glass how much a better shooter he became because of Mark Jackson.
Of course it does. A good point guard who can get into the lane and dish can create open looks and thus higher percentage shots.

If both do indeed come aboard, I would love to know what RP said to Richmond to make him be willing to relinquish having the ball in his hands most of the time.

Right now, if Smith signs first, I'm not shocked at all to see Richmond suddenly announce another visit somewhere.
Maybe Kadary is just that confident in himself. Plus Oklahoma for sure has other legitimate guard options even before landing Miles. Not really even sure on who else besides the late Cuse rumors who is after him. Not gonna be many teams with zero guards in the fold at the point.

Been puzzled about how Kadary and Smith combo would work and why they’d be willing to give up the ball to each other.

My guess is Pitino pitched both of them on needing to improve their 3 point shooting to be a factor for NBA teams. Neither one of them is going to shoot well from 3 at volume without a guy to get them the ball in catch and shoot opportunities

Jamal Shead averaged 9.7 points man. Who cares? Peyton Siva won a national championship with a career high 10.0. On the list of things I want a PG to do for a winning team, scoring isn’t that high.
Marillac, this may shock you but there are some folks here who watch basketball and then there are others who read box scores and Twitter. The two groups tend to have a very different perspective on some things, and the overlap between the two usually gets lost entirely.

Been puzzled about how Kadary and Smith combo would work and why they’d be willing to give up the ball to each other.

My guess is Pitino pitched both of them on needing to improve their 3 point shooting to be a factor for NBA teams. Neither one of them is going to shoot well from 3 at volume without a guy to get them the ball in catch and shoot opportunities
I think it’s an easy sell. Smith plays 25 mins which leaves 15 for Kadary to play point. The remaining time they split the pg duties and benefit from being set up for better shots by the other off the ball. And you learn to play the best defense possible.

I don't know who said it, but it was in the NBA context about the modern day game. Something along the lines of, "your position is who you defend". I think that will be very prescient in next year's team if the roster makeup is what it's looking like. There's going to be a ton of athletic guys who can rebound, hit open jumpers, and have a high motor. The real key to making this work will be how Pitino can get them to develop chemistry over one offseason and the OOC. But the talent and skill level will be there to make a run in March.

Back