SJU Portal Targets

Agree. If they all are good enough. They will all find ample time on the court.
Schools that compete for titles can’t “save” time for players. Need to recruit 13,
Maybe more, and compete for playing time. It’s how all the best programs do it and there’s no room for any of that unfortunately in this day and age. Stakes have gone up for both schools and players. I think that when we talk about this we most often think about Wilcher but he too must learn to earn his spot in a competitor environment. This is life in a D1 program and I’m guessing he doesn’t have a problem with that. Seems like a great kid with a good family. Won’t play in the NBA unless you can dominate on SJU’s roster and there isn’t any unfairness in that process.

Only on this site are we poised to land two huge transfers who may put us in contention for a big east title and worry about the feelings of Wilcher and Dunlop. We should only be so lucky.
At this point Witcher could probably go to a high major program and Dunlap to a mid. Neither would gain anything but playing time, might not even get a bump in NIL$. Better to be on a winning team.

If you have a deep, talented team in portal era, the new experienced, more physically developed guys will usually trump younger players. Not seeing young guys develop is tough. Also, there were always casualties with deep teams, but spawning so many one year loaners clearly has worsened the norm.

Unless they change the open transfer policy and perhaps establish short term contracts the erosion of college hoops will continue.
Isn’t this the last year where players can use the extra covid year? If so, things should normalize somewhat next year.

Schools that compete for titles can’t “save” time for players. Need to recruit 13,
Maybe more, and compete for playing time. It’s how all the best programs do it and there’s no room for any of that unfortunately in this day and age. Stakes have gone up for both schools and players. I think that when we talk about this we most often think about Wilcher but he too must learn to earn his spot in a competitor environment. This is life in a D1 program and I’m guessing he doesn’t have a problem with that. Seems like a great kid with a good family. Won’t play in the NBA unless you can dominate on SJU’s roster and there isn’t any unfairness in that process.
We also know, as we saw last season with Luis, Dingle and Ledlum that injuries and illness happen. It’s inevitable. If you have 12 guys who can play you can overcome that stuff and guys wind up getting more time than they thought. You also don’t have to push guys who might be nursing an injury.

Only on this site are we poised to land two huge transfers who may put us in contention for a big east title and worry about the feelings of Wilcher and Dunlop. We should only be so lucky.
Where did I say I was worried about the “feelings” of Wilcher and Dunlap?

I’ve been trying to catch up on this thread for the past 3 days. Every time I’d check in it seemed like there were another 15 pages so clearly exciting things are going on.

Excited about Scott. Very, very solid addition. I like Vince’s upside. High ceiling if they can help develop him and worst case scenario he’s a huge athletic guy to come off the bench and give 5 fouls.

Kadary & Omieri would each be big adds on their own. Those are All League players from power conferences. Adding them both would certainly heighten expectations for next season.

I think Wilcher & Dunlap are going to be given plenty of opportunity not only because that’s what Pitino has been very clearly communicating but because in a more practical sense those two and the freshmen (Glover & Lefty) are going to be some of the better shooters on this team. Someone has to space the floor (Dingle would also help here) I’m sure the staff will jump if/when opportunity presents itself but I’d bet anything that some of the shooting people are looking to add will be guys who are already on the roster stepping into bigger roles.

Even if we do get the big forward from Miami we are still, at this point, thin in the guard position. Coach must bring in a true experienced pg and a high % shooting guard. Yukon won two national championships with shooters not with brute strength. If we want to be a contender, we must have a strong , experienced pg and three reliable out side shooters.

Don’t agree at all with some of the takes re: Wilcher and Dunlap’s development. Wilcher averaged 9 mpg last year, Dunlap 12. Expect that to go up to 15-20 for both. They were freshman last year. They’ll only be sophomores this year. Plenty of time to develop under Rick. I expect them both to be all-league type players by junior year. But this year let’s just hope for significant improvement and for them to be key rotation pieces, not stars.

Don’t agree at all with some of the takes re: Wilcher and Dunlap’s development. Wilcher averaged 9 mpg last year, Dunlap 12. Expect that to go up to 15-20 for both. They were freshman last year. They’ll only be sophomores this year. Plenty of time to develop under Rick. I expect them both to be all-league type players by junior year. But this year let’s just hope for significant improvement and for them to be key rotation pieces, not stars.
Rick is also a system guy. Wilcher and Dunlap have a year in the system. They will play, especially early in the season while all the new guys are learning what Pitino wants.

Back