Rick Pitino - Head Coach at St John’s University!!!

Let's stop with the Pitino speculation! For Rick, at age 71, it's "been there, done that" as far as UK is concerned.
UK will go after a much younger coach with the stones to handle the UK pressure cooker.

Let's stop with the Pitino speculation! For Rick, at age 71, it's "been there, done that" as far as UK is concerned.
UK will go after a much younger coach with the stones to handle the UK pressure cooker.
Agree they will go after others. But forgive me, the bubble and conference tournaments where everything that could go wrong did go wrong, is still fresh on my mind.

Here’s to Scott Drew jumping at the opportunity.

Happy to keep Pitino for 10 years, but we’d go hard after Holloway over Speedy with someone like Shanley at the helm.
The salary bar has been raised much higher at St. John's. It no longer has to look only locally in the old mom'n'pop provincial approach to hiring coaches.
No, they are not going to pay $10 million NBA level salaries but they will be competitive with most programs in the Big East.

Agree they will go after others. But forgive me, the bubble and conference tournaments where everything that could go wrong did go wrong, is still fresh on my mind.

Here’s to Scott Drew jumping at the opportunity.
That bubble will likely burst in the not too distant future.
I agree with Scott Drew and just don't see Danny having the "personality" for the Lexington crowd.

I've been assured that this is Rick's last coaching job. He loves being back home, frequents local pro sports games, and lives on the golf course at Winged Foot. His son Ryan is here on Wall Street, lots of Minardis, etc. He is rebuilding our entire program including facilities. He's obviously connected with people at other places he's been but here when he talks about growing up on the lower east side, queens (cambria heights) and long Island (Bayville) sju fans nod and get it. When he says his dad and uncle formed Pitino Brothers trucking we get it and had parents who did similar blue collar work. Here he doesn't have to try to fit in. He just does fit in. We know what its like to take the bus to Jamaica to Modells to save $5 on a pair of irregular Cons that only you would know were discount.

Eric is right. When Rick wins here it will be the sweetest stop of his career. Maybe he won't be as revered and treasured as Cosch C., but already is carving a special space for himself here.

Not going anywhere in my opinion.

I've been assured that this is Rick's last coaching job. He loves being back home, frequents local pro sports games, and lives on the golf course at Winged Foot. His son Ryan is here on Wall Street, lots of Minardis, etc. He is rebuilding our entire program including facilities. He's obviously connected with people at other places he's been but here when he talks about growing up on the lower east side, queens (cambria heights) and long Island (Bayville) sju fans nod and get it. When he says his dad and uncle formed Pitino Brothers trucking we get it and had parents who did similar blue collar work. Here he doesn't have to try to fit in. He just does fit in. We know what its like to take the bus to Jamaica to Modells to save $5 on a pair of irregular Cons that only you would know were discount.

Eric is right. When Rick wins here it will be the sweetest stop of his career. Maybe he won't be as revered and treasured as Cosch C., but already is carving a special space for himself here.

You had me at “…irregular Cons” :)

If he was 61 he’d be gone. Luckily for us he’s not. I fully expect this to be his last stop. I am concerned he will be miserable here and retire though.

Kentucky will want a guy that can potentially be there for 15-20 years.

If he was 61 he’d be gone. Luckily for us he’s not. I fully expect this to be his last stop. I am concerned he will be miserable here and retire though.

Kentucky will want a guy that can potentially be there for 15-20 years.
Rick.is here because he's not 61. The UK Rick or UL Rick doesn't come here.

He was hired because we were a program in need of redemption and his was a coach in need of redemption. A perfect marriage. We need each other.

It's a big lift to transform this program on many levels. Give Rick all the resources he needs, which basically come down to $$$ and attendance, and he will do the rest.

$$$ for facilities, $$$ for NIL. Attendance for home court advantage, and for generating $$$ from ticket revenue and increase the donor base for facilities.

I agree if Rick gets frustrated here by lack of above he could pack it in. Certainly doesn't need the job from a monetary perspective. But does need the job to go out as a GOAT.

Ted Williams came back for one more year after hitting an abysmal (for him) .254 in 1959. He demanded a cut in pay but the Sox wouldn't do it. He hit .316 at the then decrepit age of 40, and hit a home run in his final at bat.

Twelve months from now we will have more answers.

Rick wants to go out like Williams - the truly great ones all do. It's not about money, it's about succeeding.

A line from "The Natural" on what drove Roy Hobbs, also at an advanced age:

"And then when I walked down the street people would've looked and they would've said there goes Roy Hobbs, the best there ever was in this game."

Take us deep into the NCAA tourney, maybe an 8th Final Four, maybe more, and people will say that.

Hmmm Iona vs st John's tough choice lol
Kentucky vs St. John’s, tough choice.

Pitino said the same thing at Iona and he left which is the point. Cooley was a Providence lifer till he wasn’t. Roy Brown loved Kansas and wasn’t ever going to leave until he did. Things change.

Kentucky vs St. John’s, tough choice.

Pitino said the same thing at Iona and he left which is the point. Cooley was a Providence lifer till he wasn’t. Roy Brown loved Kansas and wasn’t ever going to leave until he did. Things change.
Scott Drew is taking the Kentucky Job

Scott Drew is taking the Kentucky Job
I hadn’t heard it was official but I would not be surprised.

As for Pitino, I never thought he would be offered the Kentucky job (they were not going back into the past) but if they did offer it to him, I have no problem believing he would take it.

I hadn’t heard it was official but I would not be surprised.

As for Pitino, I never thought he would be offered the Kentucky job (they were not going back into the past) but if they did offer it to him, I have no problem believing he would take it.
Without a doubt……

Just a reminder about vacant coaching jobs and our fans reactions.

Just two years ago at this time of year, the Tulsa job was open. They've had a few great coaching hires over time. Bill Self of course. Nolan Richardson coached there from 1981-85 before going on to Arkansas and winning a national championship. He had a senior player in 1981 named Mike Anderson, who was added to his staff the next season and followed him to Arkansas.

Two years ago rumors were that Anderson was a prime target of Tulsa for the vacancy. I remember a number of people here were concerned that Anderson would bolt back to the place he played at and started his coaching career. Some people reasoned Tulsa wouldn't match the salary that sju was paying.

I remember a lot of relief that CMA was staying, and that we didn't have to start over once again. I don't remember any strong sentiments expressed wanting him to leave. In fact, with AJ Storr coming in, and David Jones and Andre Curbelo transferring here, there was sky high excitement.

Of course it horribly crashed. The Pitino to Kentucky is just a reminder that after 3 seasons there weren't a lot of (any?) loud voices here wanting him gone as our worst coaching hire ever. It's a lot easier being right after the fact.

Just two years ago at this time of year, the Tulsa job was open. They've had a few great coaching hires over time. Bill Self of course. Nolan Richardson coached there from 1981-85 before going on to Arkansas and winning a national championship. He had a senior player in 1981 named Mike Anderson, who was added to his staff the next season and followed him to Arkansas.

Two years ago rumors were that Anderson was a prime target of Tulsa for the vacancy. I remember a number of people here were concerned that Anderson would bolt back to the place he played at and started his coaching career. Some people reasoned Tulsa wouldn't match the salary that sju was paying.

I remember a lot of relief that CMA was staying, and that we didn't have to start over once again. I don't remember any strong sentiments expressed wanting him to leave. In fact, with AJ Storr coming in, and David Jones and Andre Curbelo transferring here, there was sky high excitement.

Of course it horribly crashed. The Pitino to Kentucky is just a reminder that after 3 seasons there weren't a lot of (any?) loud voices here wanting him gone as our worst coaching hire ever. It's a lot easier being right after the fact.
To be fair too, you were in the group saying St. John's would never hire Pitino and your posts (voice) were pretty loud and adamant too.

That’s not accurate. There was plenty of criticism of Anderson on this Board in advance of his final year. I think the biggest concern on the Board on the time was that it would have been a really bad look to have a coach spurn us for Tulsa. There was also a concern at the time about rebuilding yet again, a perfectly logical sentiment.

Back