Rick Pitino - Head Coach at St John’s University!!!

To be fair too, you were in the group saying St. John's would never hire Pitino and your posts (voice) were pretty loud and adamant too.
Absolutely true. And to add to that I was more convinced if offered he wouldn't come here. To your point though I was aware that the command from the highest level at SJU was that Pitino would not be considered. That's not revisionist either.

That’s not accurate. There was plenty of criticism of Anderson on this Board in advance of his final year. I think the biggest concern on the Board on the time was that it would have been a really bad look to have a coach spurn us for Tulsa. There was also a concern at the time about rebuilding yet again, a perfectly logical sentiment.
Correct. I know many, including myself, looked at that year as pretty much a make or break year for CMA. I was definitely rooting for him to succeed but remember saying more than once that it was a dance or else year for him.

Correct. I know many, including myself, looked at that year as pretty much a make or break year for CMA. I was definitely rooting for him to succeed but remember saying more than once that it was a dance or else year for him.
That year we were just one conference win below the 10-10 where CMA won coach of the year. Champagnie had an incredibly up and down year, where he was beyond bad in what seemed like half the games. 2 more wins and we likely would have danced but its hard to have your best player play so badly at times and be a tourney team. Ibwould say it was a disappointing year that still had a chance until the refs put posh on the bench against Villanova when we had a 17 point 2nd half lead and until JC shot an airball on a shot that would have sealed it. Still they needed help from the refs to beat us.

Did you say you hoped Anderson would leave or not worried if he did?

That year we were just one conference win below the 10-10 where CMA won coach of the year. Champagnie had an incredibly up and down year, where he was beyond bad in what seemed like half the games. 2 more wins and we likely would have danced but its hard to have your best player play so badly at times and be a tourney team. Ibwould say it was a disappointing year that still had a chance until the refs put posh on the bench against Villanova when we had a 17 point 2nd half lead and until JC shot an airball on a shot that would have sealed it. Still they needed help from the refs to beat us.

Did you say you hoped Anderson would leave or not worried if he did?
I did not say I wished CMA would leave but to Boo's point many on here were disappointed in CMA's third year results and said repeatedly that in year 4 it was dance or time for a change. In other words, no excuses in year 4. In fact, even CMA said something close to that in preseason article in the Post - this team should definitely dance.

I did not say I wished CMA would leave but to Boo's point many on here were disappointed in CMA's third year results and said repeatedly that in year 4 it was dance or time for a change. In other words, no excuses in year 4. In fact, even CMA said something close to that in preseason article in the Post - this team should definitely dance.
No argument here on year 4. The point was after year 3 the biggest concern was replacing JC with Jones as top scorer but otherwise was a tourney capable roster. Anderson deserved the 4 year (paid?) vacation for everything that went on without mediation. Only the 70s Yankees had that kind of turmoil and still won.

Why the history lesson now?
Pitino's our coach. We are truly lucky. Hurry up coach; but we wait.

Check the tweet replies under it by UK fans. You can see despite his age many of them sure wouldn't mind him making his return to Lexington.

Even at his age people know how great a coach he is and more importantly how they have no concern over how he van handle the pressure cooker that is UK.

I havent seen any story that UK has reached out to him. If there was, would definitely want to see a comment. If not, might be looked at as presumptuous for him to comment on interest.
Every single Kentucky fan on twitter is screaming for him. I know that means squat, but Hurley has denied interest.

Edit: I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Repole, NIL, staying near home and the challenge here all would appeal greatly to him more than a reboot I would think.

It would be nice to see him just say flat out he’s not interested, right? I can’t be the only one who feels that way.

You might be the only one who feels that way. He’s already come out and said Mark Pope would be an excellent hire. You don’t do that if you’re jockeying for the job yourself. He’s not leaving here to go to Kentucky. Relax.

Good enough of a denial of interest for me.
Fwiw isn’t this his quote form the night Cal left? Even with the article being released today I think this is prior to Hurley and Drew and Oats saying no. Could it have been him saying it to support his former player while not really thinking it would ever come to it?

Again, end of season murphys law is fresh on my mind.

If offered, Pitino might not have interest in leaving, but he could clearly parlay that into a hefty raise.

Back