Possible Coaching Candidates

Not to mention his elite 8 run was done with Fran's players (not that he didn't do a good coaching job that season).
I don't mind that he gets credit for those first 2 years even if the core of the teams were recruited by someone else. He did a good job.

But then look at the next 3 years. The loss totals were 15, 12 and 13 and a .500 league record combined and then his 4th year was going to be REALLY bad where the program was about to bottom out. The arrow was clearly pointing down and rift or not between him and Harrington Jarvis was no longer the answer at SJU at that point.

I don't mind that he gets credit for those first 2 years even if the core of the teams were recruited by someone else. He did a good job.

But then look at the next 3 years. The loss totals were 15, 12 and 13 and a .500 league record combined and then his 4th year was going to be REALLY bad where the program was about to bottom out. The arrow was clearly pointing down and rift or not between him and Harrington Jarvis was no longer the answer at SJU at that point.

I apologize in advance for taking this of topic. But I wasn't a member of this board at the time, and I don't really recall the circumstances. Was there a tipping point that caused Jarvis to be fired mid season? Since that is so rare in college basketball, and was early in that season. Obviously I know the season started out terrible and recruiting was dismal, but why did they wait 6 games into a new season?

I apologize in advance for taking this of topic. But I wasn't a member of this board at the time, and I don't really recall the circumstances. Was there a tipping point that caused Jarvis to be fired mid season? Since that is so rare in college basketball, and was early in that season. Obviously I know the season started out terrible and recruiting was dismal, but why did they wait 6 games into a new season?
It was inevitable he was getting fired. He did not get a contract extension, the program was clearly faltering. They had lost to Fairfield and Hofstra at home and "Fire Jarvis" chants had begun at Carnesecca. The year before even with the NIT run people were calling into WFAN complaining that the program was slipping.

And I remember there was ceremony about a week or so before Jarvis was fired it was in December of 2003 I think they were announcing the plans to build what would be the new Taffner. Harrington took questions afterwards about the direction of the basketball program. And he gave hints that he was not happy. He said something like, "Obviously we like to see the program be back what some remember it was..." or something to that effect. And most took that as a shot at Jarvis.

Reporters later asked Jarvis what he thought about that comment and Jarvis couldn't believe that Harrington said it. It was then I knew for sure that a breakup was going to occur.

That is a bit of a whitewash.

His last 20 win season actually doesn't count since the NIT and wins from that season were vacated.

And his last season they were off to a 2-4 start and everyone saw where that was headed (last place) and his recruiting was basically next to nothing. He was fired because the program was clearly going south.
He was fired basically for insubordination and the season going south. He wanted out and his behavior was nothing more than an act to be relieved. I forgot who the poster was, put he posted several times that he would be gone before St. Patrick's Day and heck he didn't even make it to Christmas.

It was inevitable he was getting fired. He did not get a contract extension, the program was clearly faltering. They had lost to Fairfield and Hofstra at home and "Fire Jarvis" chants had begun at Carnesecca. The year before even with the NIT run people were calling into WFAN complaining that the program was slipping.

And I remember there was ceremony about a week or so before Jarvis was fired it was in December of 2003 I think they were announcing the plans to build what would be the new Taffner. Harrington took questions afterwards about the direction of the basketball program. And he gave hints that he was not happy. He said something like, "Obviously we like to see the program be back what some remember it was..." or something to that effect. And most took that as a shot at Jarvis.

Reporters later asked Jarvis what he thought about that comment and Jarvis couldn't believe that Harrington said it. It was then I knew for sure that a breakup was going to occur.
IIRC, he also did not show up for some event that he was supposed to attend with no explanation which embarrassed Harrington. There were other acts of "insubordination".

IIRC, he also did not show up for some event that he was supposed to attend with no explanation which embarrassed Harrington. There were other acts of "insubordination".
We should have called Bruce Beck. He's good at covering for no-shows. 😁

When was SJU forced to forfeit 46 regular season wins and 1 tournament loss? The wins were vacated covering four seasons from 2001 to 2004. Jarvis was the culprit.

I will give credit to Jarvis for that. He knew as much to let Barkley run the show and stay out of his way.
Bingo. That team probably needed to be coached about as little as any team could be. Not only had they played together for years, but they had one of the best floor generals in the country manning the point. Jarvis was a decent coach, but those kids made him look even better.

Bingo. That team probably needed to be coached about as little as any team could be. Not only had they played together for years, but they had one of the best floor generals in the country manning the point. Jarvis was a decent coach, but those kids made him look even better.
Now imagine Lavin with those kids. Smart enough to get out of the way, while simultaneously being smart enough to hire a great X's and O's assistant. Just imagine the recruiting he could have done while pointing to the excitement of those teams, as opposed to Jarvis who let his disdain for ass kissing ruin his tenure here.

They were fun to watch. They played beautifully as a team. Like you said, they were essentially in the program for a long time by playing with one another.

While Artest was the alpha dog, everything started with Barkley of course. He was such a smooth and cerebral old school point guard. Always moving the offense, knowing where everyone was, and never worried about scoring.

Having him run your team is as close as to a coach can get to sitting back and watching.

Now imagine Lavin with those kids. Smart enough to get out of the way, while simultaneously being smart enough to hire a great X's and O's assistant. Just imagine the recruiting he could have done while pointing to the excitement of those teams, as opposed to Jarvis who let his disdain for ass kissing ruin his tenure here.
Is it too late to request a Covid waiver for Russell Robinson?

This thread has been very fair to Mike Jarvis - both the good and bad are completely correct. He did a great job with players largely recruited by Fran (although Postell was a Mahoney recruit), and should get credit for that. After all, Lavin had his best season with Norm;s recruits, and Lavs should get credit for that.

In my opinion, Jarvis's best coaching job was 2001-2002. He took a team with one great player (Hatten), one hard working blue collar warrior (Glover) and a bunch of misfit toys and got them to 20 wins and a spot in the Dance. I thought it was an impressive performance.

In many ways, Hatten's excellence masked the overall drop in talent on the roster in the later Jarvis years.

Now the donwside is also true - Jarvis basically stopped recruiting local HS kids, he alienated local coaches, he brought in some JUCOs that were super-sketchy (who remembers Rodney Epperson?) and he seemed like an arrogant jerk. By the time he left the program was in a shambles. It was a dumpster fire, and he deserved to be fired.

He did leave us with Darryl Hill (who was excellent until his knee injury) and Lamont Hamilton, who was one of our better bigs.

Jarvis was by far our most successful coach since Looie, but it went really bad really fast in his last two years.

Born in '88. Was too young to remember/appreciate the late 90's teams with Postell, Barkley, Artest, etc. This century has been abominable. I wasn't around in the 80's. As a lifelong fan of this program, I have no proud moments or fond memories to hold onto. It's Pitino or bust for me at this point. Winning above all else.
🥹🥹🙌🏿🙌🏿 a fellow 88 poster. Nice

Born in '88. Was too young to remember/appreciate the late 90's teams with Postell, Barkley, Artest, etc. This century has been abominable. I wasn't around in the 80's. As a lifelong fan of this program, I have no proud moments or fond memories to hold onto. It's Pitino or bust for me at this point. Winning above all else.

On top of all this, I didn't even GO to St. John's. I CHOSE to be miserable!

Back