Possible Coaching Candidates

Ah yes. I do remember that stat well. I had to Google it. We're still in the top 10, at number 9, but so many teams have passed us by.

RankCollegeFirst
Season
SeasonsWinsLossesTiesWin%
1Kansas18981242,3578770.729
2Kentucky19031192,3537361.762
3North Carolina19101122,3238390.735
4Duke19061172,2469110.711
5Temple18951261,9611,1210.636
6Syracuse19011211,9569490.673
7UCLA19201031,9558820.689
8Notre Dame18981191,9391,0682.645
9St. John's19081151,9041,0700.640
10Indiana19011221,8901,0900.634
11Cincinnati19021211,8661,0510.640
Louie had us in the top 3 in the 80s.
Keep in mind we forfeited 46 wins thanks to Jarvis and honest Abe, otherwise we would be sitting at #8.

2 of 6 programs he coached for received sanctions. I’m to worried about based transgressions. I’m worried about future.

To use your analogy, it’s like if OJ got acquitted for murder but then went to jail for armed robbery. Even if you’re acquitted for one crime you can still go to jail for another.
The only thing you have to fear is fear itself

Do not fear the Pitino hire he will get us to the final four

During the 5 full seasons at StJ’s Jarvis‘ teams won 20 games 4 of his 5 seasons, qualified for the NCAA Tournament 3 times, won the first game in the NCAA Tournament 2 times, reached the Elite 8 once, and won the NIT.

Jarvis succeeded as a good coach at StJohn’s but reportedly departed over relations with Harrington.
We forfeited the NIT due to Keita for which Jarvis is to blame

I blame Father Harrington and our feckless ad at the time Dave Wegyzrn,they let Grady Reynolds face no repercussions for assaulting a female student, then fired Mike Jarvis the next season in December.
Then leave the staff short handed and instead of heading home after the Pitt game they stayed overnight.Total mismanagement all the way around.

Paying Keita at the time was a very good example of not understanding the concept of risk vs reward.
Again, Keita was NOT paid to play. He was, WRONGLY by Jarvis, reimbursed from the monthly money deducted from his stipend because SJU athletic department WRONGLY allowed him to get room and board his first year when by NCAA rules stated he was not allowed. So an agreement was made to deduct the $8-10,000 in value he received for living in the dorms from him during his soph/junior year from his monthly stipend when he moved off campus. That meant he had about 400-600 less per month to live on. So Jarvis came up with the idea to “balance” that out so Keita could either pay his rent or buy food as he could could not afford both and he was not allowed to get a part time summer job by NCAA rules. In Jarvis’ eyes, Keita was being wrongly punished financially for a mistake that the Athletic Department made his freshman year. This was during the era where SJU just got dorms and the Athletic Department Senior staff did not fully understand the possible ramifications of placing athletes there.

In some ways, it resembled another seldom discussed minor violation. Mo Diakite suffered a severe back injury while playing for SJU. He herniated two lumbar disks. He underwent surgery, and was hospitalized for several days in NYC. Upon discharge, since it was summertime, and dorms were closed, Diakite stayed at Jarvis’ home post surgery, be fed and bathed, surgical wounds changed and be given his medication daily. There were no other options for Diakite to get this care. SJU athletics reported Jarvis to NCAA and made Diakite repay an amount equal,to the food he received from Mrs Jarvis from the week stay. No one in compliance or Senior staff gave Jarvis any advice for post surgical options as insurance would not cover the players care outside of the hospital, so Coach took him into his own home. Now under NCAA rules it is allowable for this care under humanitarian reasons with no penalties.

Last edited:
Again, Keita was NOT paid to play. He was, WRONGLY by Jarvis, reimbursed from the monthly money deducted from his stipend because SJU athletic department WRONGLY allowed him to get room and board his first year when by NCAA rules stated he was not allowed. So an agreement was made to deduct the $8-10,000 in value he received for living in the dorms from him during his soph/junior year from his monthly stipend when he moved off campus. That meant he had about 400-600 less per month to live on. So Jarvis came up with the idea to “balance” that out so Keita could either pay his rent or buy food as he could could not afford both and he was not allowed to get a part time summer job by NCAA rules. In Jarvis’ eyes, Keita was being wrongly punished financially for a mistake that the Athletic Department made his freshman year. This was during the era where SJU just got dorms and the Athletic Department Senior staff did not fully understand the possible ramifications of placing athletes there.

In some ways, it resembled another seldom discussed minor violation. Mo Diakite suffered a severe back injury while playing for SJU. He herniated two lumbar disks. He underwent surgery, and was hospitalized for several days in NYC. Upon discharge, since it was summertime, and dorms were closed, Diakite stayed at Jarvis’ home post surgery, be fed and bathed, surgical wounds changed and be given his medication daily. There were no other options for Diakite to get this care. SJU athletics reported Jarvis to NCAA and made Diakite repay an amount equal,to the food he received from Mrs Jarvis from the week stay. No one in compliance or Senior staff gave Jarvis any advice for post surgical options as insurance would not cover the players care outside of the hospital, so Coach took him into his own home. Now under NCAA rules it is allowable for this care under humanitarian reasons with no penalties.
I did not know many of those details - thanks for the background. I do remember that the Keita issue had something to do with payments to help alleviate some economic hardship he was facing. I did not know that the issue originated with a screw up by the St John's athletic department. That's pretty pathetic.

As for Diakate, that seems even more ridiculous. How come no one made any arrangements for the young man? He couldn't stay in the infirmary for a period of time? Crazy. Again, another example of what a Mickey Mouse operation St. John's was at that time...

Source?

Why did I just see an article suggesting Norfolk State head coach Robert Jones is in the running for the St John’s head coaching vacancy? That would really pull the rug out from under me.

Why did I just see an article suggesting Norfolk State head coach Robert Jones is in the running for the St John’s head coaching vacancy? That would really pull the rug out from under me.

Sometimes those rumors are floated by agents (perhaps, in this case, by Jones' agent). For now, all signs still pointing to Pitino.

Things could speed up after today's Iona game, although I prefer the upset. Hate UConn and the win might be even better for recruiting.

I blame Father Harrington and our feckless ad at the time Dave Wegyzrn,they let Grady Reynolds face no repercussions for assaulting a female student, then fired Mike Jarvis the next season in December.
Then leave the staff short handed and instead of heading home after the Pitt game they stayed overnight.Total mismanagement all the way around.
Grady Reynolds situation was not handled properly at all.

The team almost always stayed overnight after games I. Pitt as was lauded to by Alumni in another post they flew commercial and there were never either any flights back to NY after the game or the Airport would close after a certain hour. A curfew would have been nice (which wasn’t in place) and a team rule which didn’t allow for outsiders in your room would have been nice.

Jarvis deserved and tried to get fired for many reasons and he would not have lasted that year regardless things had deteriorated between him and the administration so bad and not just the results on the court.

I hope we have a resolution to our present coaching situation no later than this coming Tuesday.

I did not know many of those details - thanks for the background. I do remember that the Keita issue had something to do with payments to help alleviate some economic hardship he was facing. I did not know that the issue originated with a screw up by the St John's athletic department. That's pretty pathetic.

As for Diakate, that seems even more ridiculous. How come no one made any arrangements for the young man? He couldn't stay in the infirmary for a period of time? Crazy. Again, another example of what a Mickey Mouse operation St. John's was at that time...
Unlike other institutions, SJU did not and still does not have an infirmary. Only a nurses office staffed during daytime hours 9-1pm. Presently, any medical situations that occur on campus are sent to Queens Hospital Center for care.

Last edited:
Because there is a job opening here, he is from the area, no one really knows what is going on and know they won’t at the very least until Iona’s season is over, St. John’s has to have more than one person on their list and why not through out names that might make sense or not against the wall and see if it comes to fruition for whatever reason you so you can say you had it right (and even if it doesn’t, you weren’t wrong because you just said someone was under consideration not that he was going to be the one).

While it is entertaining to read these various articles, this is going to have to play out at least beyond this weekend because there is a likely chance that the next HC of our Men’s basketball team was playing this weekend in the NCAA Tournament.

Stephen A. Smith just ranted on First Take that St John's should "open up the vault" and do whatever it needs to do to hire Pitino as our next coach
Seth Greenberg agreed and said that Pitino would be a great fit at St John's
They both talked about the need for St John's to play more games at MSG and that it would happen with Pitino at the helm
They also talked about the need to upgrade our facilities and that it would also happen if Pitino is our next coach
Don't screw this up, Father Shanley. If Pitino is not our next coach, the fan base (what's left of it) will go absolutely berserk!!

Grady Reynolds situation was not handled properly at all.

The team almost always stayed overnight after games I. Pitt as was lauded to by Alumni in another post they flew commercial and there were never either any flights back to NY after the game or the Airport would close after a certain hour. A curfew would have been nice (which wasn’t in place) and a team rule which didn’t allow for outsiders in your room would have been nice.

Jarvis deserved and tried to get fired for many reasons and he would not have lasted that year regardless things had deteriorated between him and the administration so bad and not just the results on the court.

I hope we have a resolution to our present coaching situation no later than this coming Tuesday.
And the managers used to walk to bring burgers or pizza back to the players rooms if there was no delivery service. The managers held the teams together in those days. many of the hotels could not provide a meal post game after say a 9pm tip and returning to hotels at midnight.

And the managers used to walk to bring burgers or pizza back to the players rooms if there was no delivery service. The managers held the teams together in those days. many of the hotels could not provide a meal post game after say a 9pm tip and returning to hotels at midnight.
Great insight. Thanks for sharing.

Back