Possible Coaching Candidates

Let me go on record that I would want Pitino if we are hiring a coach. He is another level from anyone else mentioned. My concern is Cragg will go back to his Duke roots and bring in Wojo.

Let me go on record that I would want Pitino if we are hiring a coach. He is another level from anyone else mentioned. My concern is Cragg will go back to his Duke roots and bring in Wojo.
Lol that would be cause for immediate dismissal of Cragg and prompt cheer from NewsMan on our acceptance into the CAA

Cragg will have about as much power as you or I do.

For all of those asking for Mack, which is a total pipe dream anyway, I suggest reading up on his tenure at Louisville. When he got fired, it was reported that he was unable to connect with the kids on his team and they essentially were tuning him out. This after poor performance on the court and also a suspension for violations. That's not even to bring up how much of a jerk he acted like at Xavier.

For all of those asking for Mack, which is a total pipe dream anyway, I suggest reading up on his tenure at Louisville. When he got fired, it was reported that he was unable to connect with the kids on his team and they essentially were tuning him out. This after poor performance on the court and also a suspension for violations. That's not even to bring up how much of a jerk he acted like at Xavier.
I can get over a jerk. Some of the stuff with the staff certainly was crazy. But go look back at his record at Louisville and ask if it was really all that bad. He was going to be a top seed in the tourney the year it was canceled. 38-23 in ACC play when he got let go.

Mack sure proved he could win consistently in the Big East. However, I'm not sure he'd be interested and if he was I fear it would be as a two or three year stepping stone.
With our recent history and where we are in the college basketball pecking order I think we should embrace the idea of a guy succeeding so much here that he'd be coveted enough by other programs and leave

SJU coaching searches are harder to watch than SJU basketball. And we all know the outcome ahead of time (SJU loses.) Many are conveniently forgetting the last search. This Pitino guy was four years younger and even more available. He got zero consideration. Oliva is still around. And same AD.

It's great for Providence that Shanley hit lotto with Cooley but that doesn't convince me he is a basketball savant. And University President or not I don't see how he has autonomy regarding the program.

Hey, I would love to have Pitino. From my vantagepoint not only is it not risky, it's also the least risky move available. This supposed risk of bad publicity is backwards. Maybe an old crone like Phil Mushnick will wake up the day after the hire and write a rant. Which would be buried in a print version of the Post with a circulation that only reaches people with circulation issues. And everywhere else there would be stories about the program and how exciting the move is.

A great dream but so far I still wake up in the morning. Which overall is good but not for this scenario.

You keep saying there’s a chance that his contract is guaranteed and while I guess there’s a nonzero chance of that it would be an extreme deviation from the norm for college head coaches. I’m not quite sure Nick Saban’s contract is fully guaranteed.

If Anderson’s contract is in a state where it would be too costly to move on then whoever designed the contract should have been fired long before this season went off the rails

That would be Mike Cragg and if we are stuck with Anderson because if that then Cragg should be the first to go.

Shanley doesn’t mess around and will not keep a coach just for the sake of it. He will convince the powers that be to terminate.

Keep in mind with Mack, his daughter goes to college in NY currently .

The thing that worries me the most about Shanley making the right decision is his siding with the current political climate at the university. Add to that Anderson’s rep as a nice guy/family man, I’m not sure Shanley will pull the trigger and let him go. I think if CMA has a poor season, Shanley would be crazy not to let him go but this University has made so many bad choices in its history, anything is possible.

Bring in WoJo…a good friend of Cragg
I wonder, after giving Mike A an early contract extension, if Mike Cragg will lead any hiring process that arises. Shanley is very knowledgeable and experienced in college basketball, unlike recent SJU Presidents. If he has the time, I would not be surprised to see him behind the scenes be the “alpha guy” in this equation.

The thing that worries me the most about Shanley making the right decision is his siding with the current political climate at the university. Add to that Anderson’s rep as a nice guy/family man, I’m not sure Shanley will pull the trigger and let him go. I think if CMA has a poor season, Shanley would be crazy not to let him go but this University has made so many bad choices in its history, anything is possible.
can you expand upon what you mean by "Siding with the current political climate"?

"... Maybe an old crone like Phil Mushnick will wake up the day after the hire and write a rant. Which would be buried in a print version of the Post with a circulation that only reaches people with circulation issues..."
Phil Mushnick :sick:🤮

Back