Possible Coaching Candidates

I am less certain than most other fans on this site that there will be a coaching change at StJohn’s at the end of this season.

I am not saying that there should not be a change if current trends continue, but it will all depend upon what remaining part of CMA’s contract is guaranteed.

No one on this site knows for sure what CMA’s .

If Anderson's contract has another $7M plus guaranteed then that I do not see him being terminated for the simple reason that such a sum would likely be too heavy of a lift for St. John’s.

News reports said that a high buyout is why Pitt did not terminate it coach Jeff Capel after his 4th consecutive losing season last year. Fortunately for Pitt his 5th season has started much better.
There will not be a coaching change. Sooner people realize the better.

I am less certain than most other fans on this site that there will be a coaching change at StJohn’s at the end of this season.

I am not saying that there should not be a change if current trends continue, but it will all depend upon what remaining part of CMA’s contract is guaranteed.

No one on this site knows for sure what CMA’s .

If Anderson's contract has another $7M plus guaranteed then that I do not see him being terminated for the simple reason that such a sum would likely be too heavy of a lift for St. John’s.

News reports said that a high buyout is why Pitt did not terminate it coach Jeff Capel after his 4th consecutive losing season last year. Fortunately for Pitt his 5th season has started much better.
You keep saying there’s a chance that his contract is guaranteed and while I guess there’s a nonzero chance of that it would be an extreme deviation from the norm for college head coaches. I’m not quite sure Nick Saban’s contract is fully guaranteed.

If Anderson’s contract is in a state where it would be too costly to move on then whoever designed the contract should have been fired long before this season went off the rails

You keep saying there’s a chance that his contract is guaranteed and while I guess there’s a nonzero chance of that it would be an extreme deviation from the norm for college head coaches. I’m not quite sure Nick Saban’s contract is fully guaranteed.

Apparently the University of Pittsburgh did not understand that it is an “extreme deviation” (Mug’s term) that a substantial portion of a coach’s contract is guaranteed.

I don't see a coaching change happening this year, or going into next year. We would need a much bigger incident than just losing games, unless, maybe if we only got one or two more wins the rest of the season... and if that actually happens, there's definitely some locker room drama going on and players/recruits jumping ship.

Posts here have the correct mindset- Do Not expect a coaching change.... set expectations accordingly and one won't be disappointed.

I for one made that mistake heading into this season...Retaining the majority of the roster / natural growth of those returning / Posh taking the next step / 2 very notable transfers becoming big additions -> CMA establishing a Program with His guys to play His way...

Think the only thing we see that have pan out- is Joel Soriano becoming a very productive Senior.

The 11-1 start was all smoke n mirrors...we now seeing the deficiencies of the poorly constructed roster combined with lack of "coaching"

With CMA being retained, the potential personnel losses and facing a significant increase in OOC competition next year....not sure how you the admin sustains an already waning fan interest.

Thanks Mug!!! Appreciate you taking the time to summarize the alternatives. I assume you still had time to help with the dusting and such.

Posts here have the correct mindset- Do Not expect a coaching change.... set expectations accordingly and one won't be disappointed.

I for one made that mistake heading into this season...Retaining the majority of the roster / natural growth of those returning / Posh taking the next step / 2 very notable transfers becoming big additions -> CMA establishing a Program with His guys to play His way...

Think the only thing we see that have pan out- is Joel Soriano becoming a very productive Senior.

The 11-1 start was all smoke n mirrors...we now seeing the deficiencies of the poorly constructed roster combined with lack of "coaching"

With CMA being retained, the potential personnel losses and facing a significant increase in OOC competition next year....not sure how you the admin sustains an already waning fan interest.
I suggest reading the book below. It is the only way to get through a season of SJ hoops.

D60209EA-5BCB-4701-8DD2-C8890F15324D.jpeg

Grasso just lost at home to UMBC, team not playing great this year. I’ll pass. If you think our D stinks now, wait until you see his, not vey good
I don't have a lot of interest in this topic as besides Pitino I don't see many interesting candidates coming our way That said Grasso had two good years in the worst conference in college basketball. I am very familiar with the America East conference and it is certainly not a power house but Grasso isn't going to win it very often. I wasn't impressed with the immaturity he allowed from Kiss last year either. I would pass.

If you want a coaching change stop going to the games. It appears many fans are staying away and nothing tells the powers to be a coaching change is in order than empty seats and a who cares what SJU did last night attitude.

I'd be shocked if he gets canned. If he does don't expect any better. Stopped hoping for that a long time ago.

Lose most of our Big East contests and end up one and done in the Big East tournament and I don't care what his contract says .........he'll get terminated.
He's paid way too much thanks to Cragg to finish next to last.

There is no doubt the powers that make these decisions hear what social media is saying (especially this site). I would be shocked if a change is not made barring a complete turnaround. I was not on the pitino train last time around. But I got my ticket ready this time for it.

There is no doubt the powers that make these decisions hear what social media is saying (especially this site). I would be shocked if a change is not made barring a complete turnaround. I was not on the pitino train last time around. But I got my ticket ready this time for it.
Redmen.com swayed the administration to retain Norm and hire Mullin.

If Petino were to get the SJU job, which current players would he try to retain? Keep in mind Petino values defense, shooting and turnovers. I think we have very few who qualify in those three catagories.

Great questions about who to retain. I think a lot will depend on who he thinks he can bring in as well as the year of each player. Roster balance in terms of Soph, Jr, Sr is super critical

For it’s either Pitino or Mack. If not , then maybe Ivey as slingshot but other than that I would just stand Pat if I couldn’t bring in either of those guys.

For it’s either Pitino or Mack. If not , then maybe Ivey as slingshot but other than that I would just stand Pat if I couldn’t bring in either of those guys.
Shanley doesn’t mess around and will not keep a coach just for the sake of it. He will convince the powers that be to terminate.

Keep in mind with Mack, his daughter goes to college in NY currently .

Back