Podcasts and Videos ……

Of course no one knows for certain, but DJ’s injury may have altered Lavin’s career here. That team was filled with veterans, and they were righting the ship after an end of the year slump.

If DJ was healthy, they would have had a better seed, instead of having an under-seeded Gonzaga. The team was primed to make a run, and getting to the final four was not crazy.

The injury would have altered Lavin’s tenure, and his career would have been treated very differently.
There was some, not much, of a discussion not to announce the severity of DJ’s knee injury till after the Selection show. But DJ’s parents were already told and most of the team knew he tore his ACL as DJ told his close friends. Rubin and others kept calling SJU for an official injury update and I think they already found out through their sources. So we announced his injury earlier that afternoon.

There was some, not much, of a discussion not to announce the severity of DJ’s knee injury till after the Selection show. But DJ’s parents were already told and most of the team knew he tore his ACL as DJ told his close friends. Rubin and others kept calling SJU for an official injury update and I think they already found out through their sources. So we announced his injury earlier that afternoon.
That was a case, IMO, where honesty was the worst policy.

Call him day-to-day, and then admit all after the brackets are revealed.

That was a case, IMO, where honesty was the worst policy.

Call him day-to-day, and then admit all after the brackets are revealed.
We already had the official MRI report in our hands, as well as not wanting to jeopardize our standing with the NCAA committee long term plus the Post reported news about the MRI we decided to release the info. Don’t forget the press was at the selection show event and would have negatively grill us for hiding it! Always better to tell the truth in this otherwise you’ve lost all credibility.

That’s why I ALWAYS told my players I would never lie to the NBA scouts regarding their work ethic. Once you lie and they find out they drafted a dog, they will never call you again. So my comment to the NBA scouts might be “that’s an area the player needs to improve on!”

That’s why I ALWAYS told my players I would never lie to the NBA scouts regarding their work ethic. Once you lie and they find out they drafted a dog, they will never call you again. So my comment to the NBA scouts might be “that’s an area the player needs to improve on!”
Love the honesty and transparency with players.... but we might have different definitions of "dog" for bball players....

Joined on The Eye on the Storm Podcast by two local scribes in Zach Braziller of the NY Post and Roger Rubin of Newsday to discuss the latest this summer with St. John's basketball. We talk Ruben Prey, the roster makeup, Simeon Wilcher's new role, the pick your poison offense, takeaways from yesterday's event, plus a bold prediction each of us and more!

Joined on The Eye on the Storm Podcast by two local scribes in Zach Braziller of the NY Post and Roger Rubin of Newsday to discuss the latest this summer with St. John's basketball. We talk Ruben Prey, the roster makeup, Simeon Wilcher's new role, the pick your poison offense, takeaways from yesterday's event, plus a bold prediction each of us and more!

Can you get Rubin to write a story on the best fan ever who we just lost ?

A few thoughts on that team:
1. In four episodes Willie Shaw never spoke a word.
2. The Alaska trip was great, too bad they did not show more.
3. The Andre Stanley story was heartwarming to rewatch.
4. Too bad the University did not provide mental health counselors for the athletes back then... Bangura could have been their project and it not fall on Jarvis.
5. Noticed no academic support people or study halls during that time.
6. We were still Nike Jordan back then with great gear.
7. Alex Evans searching "anyone seen Alpha?"
8. Notice no Athletic Director or assistant ever traveled with team. Absentee AD period of time.
9. Diakite must have been injured and red shirted as he was never dressed except in early shots.
10. Ah yes the Curtis Johnson project.

Last edited:
They were a solid offensive rebounding team, created turnovers, and Marcus Hatten.
Always felt if we held on against Gonzaga (Great Alaska Shootout opener), we could have had a better outcome than a 1st Rd exit v Wisconsin.

Hatten was cooking the crap out of Dan Dickau in the first half and we were up 17 pts. The Zags came back and beat us, sending us to the consolation side where we beat Tennessee and Oregon State.

Winners side of Alaska bracket was Texas and Marquette with Dwayne Wade. Would have loved to see Hatten-Wade matchup. Oh well, all was moot anyway with the Jarvis/Honest Abe fiasco that eventually erased everything anyway.

Back