Podcasts and Videos ……

After listening to Dave’s podcasts with Ron it is an insult to mom and pop organization's everywhere to have called us that. We were so cheap on equipment, facilities and everything else it’s amazing we ever got a decent recruit or beat a decent team.

Some talk about Prey and the latest off season topics.

-Watkins listed as missed PF feels a little unfair. He is a true wing IMO, and I don't think it was an either or situation. I agree that Omier would have been a monstrous add.

-I think you guys are being too conservative on Prey overall and his shooting. I think he'll stretch the floor for us, but I'm sure there will be some timing and spacing adjustments with the American game. I get it though.

-This probably doesn't matter much with how we'll switch, but I see Scott as more of a 3 than Luis on defense. I would much rather have him on a quick wing until Luis shows us more there.

Agree with the overall sentiment otherwise.

-Watkins listed as missed PF feels a little unfair. He is a true wing IMO, and I don't think it was an either or situation. I agree that Omier would have been a monstrous add.

-I think you guys are being too conservative on Prey overall and his shooting. I think he'll stretch the floor for us, but I'm sure there will be some timing and spacing adjustments with the American game. I get it though.

-This probably doesn't matter much with how we'll switch, but I see Scott as more of a 3 than Luis on defense. I would much rather have him on a quick wing until Luis shows us more there.

Agree with the overall sentiment otherwise.
- I’m not positive what your referencing re Watkins. Agree they aren’t the same position but we had one ship left to get a forward/big. I’d take Watkins if given the choice.

- “Cold Water” Cole

- I think Scott’s best position defensively is the 4, but doesn’t mean I don’t agree he’d be better guarding 3s than Luis is. I don’t think there’s much question tho who would be considered the 3 and the 4 when paired on offense.

- I’m not positive what your referencing re Watkins. Agree they aren’t the same position but we had one ship left to get a forward/big. I’d take Watkins if given the choice.

- “Cold Water” Cole

- I think Scott’s best position defensively is the 4, but doesn’t mean I don’t agree he’d be better guarding 3s than Luis is. I don’t think there’s much question tho who would be considered the 3 and the 4 when paired on offense.
In the very beginning Cole said Prey was a PF plan E and named Omier, Dillon, and Watkins. The scholarship limit is no longer a restriction as we proved last year. I think the goal was to get Watkins AND Prey. Y2 said as much.

In the very beginning Cole said Prey was a PF plan E and named Omier, Dillon, and Watkins. The scholarship limit is no longer a restriction as we proved last year. I think the goal was to get Watkins AND Prey. Y2 said as much.
It’s not a restriction but getting a 14th did cost us one of our top 10 last year. It’s not always the decision. What if getting both cost us our future starting final four center?

The third and final installment of my sit down with the great Ron Linfonte. We cover the last portion of his career with St. John's where we talk about the Norm Roberts years, DJ Kennedy's injury, Steve Lavin, Gene Keady, Why that group was one of his favorites, Chris Mullin being hired and more. Ron has amazing stories about D'Angelo Harrison, behind the scenes of DJ's injury against Syracuse in the Big East Tournament, and plenty more. I want to thank all of you guys for listening to this three-part series with Ron, I know many have suggested he be a guest over the last few years and I'm grateful we were able to get it done. This was a lot of fun!

Enjoy Part 3

Thanks again Dave & Ron for putting together such a great trip down memory lane.

As I listened to the end, couldn't help but wonder what kept Ron motivated to stick it out for 39 years with less than ideal facilities, equipment etc. vs. seeking a spot elsewhere with all bells & whistles.

Thankful he stayed and was able to share it all!

Last edited:
Thanks again Dave & Ron for putting together such a great trip down memory lane.

As I listened to the end, couldn't help but wonder what kept Ron motivated to stick it out for 39 years with less than ideal facilities, equipment etc. vs. seeking a spot elsewhere with all bells & whistles.

Simple, because Ron is a fantastic guy with a super attitude.
May have worked with substandard facilities but he was revered and appreciated by all.

The biggest reason was my family. My wife had a nice job at the local elementary school which she loved, my daughter in college attended SJU and was a cheerleader (free tuition) my oldest son attended Seton Hall (free tuition) and my youngest son attended SJU (free tuition for BA and MA) . All told that came out to about $350-400,000 in free tuition. That was one of the great perks back then. That and a nice TIAA-Cref matching retirement plan which I was grandfathered into with SJU. All the great coaches I worked with ALWAYS let my boys travel with me on road trips when they were old enough, especially Jarvis, Norm and Lavin! My youngest was practically on my staff when he attended, helping out with treatments on the road and repacking my medical bags after trips.

I was offered the Rutgers Head job right after our Final Four 👎, interviewed for NBA assistant positions, and I almost took over as the Head of the USOC medical staff in Colorado Springs after the ‘93 Olympic Festival. I discussed and interviewed with both the Yankees and Mets for their medical coordinator positions (Yankees said I could stay at SJU too).

But I also enjoyed the fact that I could choose my staff at SJU, mentor them and guide them into better jobs. I have so many former staff members in the NBA, NHL, D1 Universities that it felt right for me to stay. The last few years were rough, especially with Covid shutting things down. But the fact that I love seeing so many of my former players being successful too in baseball and hoops helped me sticking it out!

Last edited:

Good question. My opinion I think based on his response to my last question it was his love of the program, feeling like he was a small part in so many success stories, and wanting to continue to make those memories. I know he had plenty of opportunities over the years to leave, but he has a legacy now. It's not something many can say.

The biggest reason was my family. My wife had a nice job at the local elementary school which she loved, my daughter in college attended SJU and was a cheerleader (free tuition) my oldest son attended Seton Hall (free tuition) and my youngest son attended SJU (free tuition for BA and MA) . All told that came out to about $350-400,000 in free tuition. That was one of the great perks back then. That and a nice TIAA-Cref matching retirement plan which I was grandfathered into with SJU. All the great coaches I worked with ALWAYS let my boys travel with me on road trips when they were old enough, especially Jarvis, Norm and Lavin! My youngest was practically on my staff when he attended, helping out with treatments on the road and repacking my medical bags after trips.

I was offered the Rutgers Head job right after our Final Four 👎, interviewed for NBA assistant positions, and I almost took over as the Head of the USOC medical staff in Colorado Springs after the ‘93 Olympic Festival. I discussed and interviewed with both the Yankees and Mets for their medical coordinator positions (Yankees said I could stay at SJU too).

But I also enjoyed the fact that I could choose my staff at SJU, mentor them and guide them into better jobs. I have so many former staff members in the NBA, NHL, D1 Universities that it felt right for me to stay. The last few years were rough, especially with Covid shutting things down. But the fact that I love seeing so many of my former players being successful too in baseball and hoops helped me sticking it out!

Thanks Ron !!

Of course no one knows for certain, but DJ’s injury may have altered Lavin’s career here. That team was filled with veterans, and they were righting the ship after an end of the year slump.

If DJ was healthy, they would have had a better seed, instead of having an under-seeded Gonzaga. The team was primed to make a run, and getting to the final four was not crazy.

The injury would have altered Lavin’s tenure, and his career would have been treated very differently.

Back