NIT Bracketology

I’m not advocating for the continuation of the NIT but that’s exactly what the 50 extra Bowl games are. Maybe the NIT needs edible mascots to become relevant again?
1 game each. Not a tournament that draws no fans. Then again most bowl games draw no fans too.

and I was being facetious asking about all sports. Yankees and Mets missed playoffs last year. Should they get a second chance so the young guys can grow? It’s a joke but because it existed for years some are sentimental to it. At one point people pissed and shit outside but times change.

I’m not advocating for the continuation of the NIT but that’s exactly what the 50 extra Bowl games are. Maybe the NIT needs edible mascots to become relevant again?
LOL. I like the edible mascot. The Bowl games are laughable. Most of the kids who made up those teams during the season no longer play in those games. It’s a fraud to steal money from gullible fans.

Make NIT champ autobid for following year's tournament and you'd see major teams want to play.

If they suck, you stick them in Dayton anyway. Recruiting would get juice because you are guaranteed to play in tournament.

If they are good, then maybe you really didn't use the autobid to begin with.

I hope all the teams that were bubble decline this.

But then again that will help the narrative of expanding the dance.

Providence and Seton Hall accept NIT bid.

Xavier in at 16-17.

Semis and finals are at Hinkle, so I would imagine that Butler will accept, too.

Seton Hall vs St Joseph’s
Providence vs BC
Xavier (with a losing record) vs Georgia
Butler vs Minnesota
Villanova vs VCU

All the other big east teams accepted the NIT bid. Somehow, despite our rich history with the NIT we decline. Stupid Stupid Stupid.
I definitely wanted to see us play more basketball, so we could show the committee what a big mistake they made by leaving us out. Also the team was finally really gelling and I think we would have had a very good chance to win the NIT.

However and I could be wrong about this, but I think Pitino is trying to set the bar higher for this program and is making a statement that anything less than an NCAA tournament bid is not acceptable. To that end, I understand why, from a Program elevation standpoint, that this decision was made.

Seniors likely don't want to play and Pitino rather focus on portal.

All for not participating. It's a meaningless tournament these days.
I think Zuby, Wilcher, Dunlap, Luis, Traeore could benefit from tournament experience. And more than one team has give from NIT success to NCAA success the following year, what do I know .

I definitely wanted to see us play more basketball, so we could show the committee what a big mistake they made by leaving us out. Also the team was finally really gelling and I think we would have had a very good chance to win the NIT.

However and I could be wrong about this, but I think Pitino is trying to set the bar higher for this program and is making a statement that anything less than an NCAA tournament bid is not acceptable. To that end, I understand why, from a Program elevation standpoint, that this decision was made.
The NIT is a huge part of our history. Set the bar high by winning basketball games. We are only 8-6 against teams in the NIT. It's not like we can claim we are too good for it. Also what about Jenkins, Soriano, Dingle, Ledlum, and even Conway - I can't imagine they just want to end their career because Pitino finds it hard to coach and recruit at the same time. Also, what happens when we are on the bubble next year you think the NCAA, which owns the NIT won't remember we told them to pound sand.

Terrible, ego driven decision.

(Sorry Ghostzapper, my anger was not at you, even though on re-read it seems to come out that way).

Back