NIT Bracketology

You wonder, with stupidity of opening portal at same time as post season tournaments, if some kids on teams invited to NIT simply drop out and concentrate on NIL shopping after going portal.
We will know soon enough but I fully expect that. In football, the non-BCS kids all cut and run.

Don't think the Committee will keep us out, but here's one (extremely unlikely) pessimistic scenario:

We know the NCAA wants to expand the field, and what better way to have the current setup blasted than by leaving Pitino out? We'd be arguably the best team of all time to be left out and Pitino would be on every show crying foul.

To be clear I don't think that'll be the case since our resume is deserving enough and we'd also give them better TV ratings than other bubble teams. They'll expand it and will use this year as a justification regardless of who is left out, but would be classic St. John's luck.

Okay that's enough posting for now. :ROFLMAO:

Don't think the Committee will keep us out, but here's one (extremely unlikely) pessimistic scenario:

We know the NCAA wants to expand the field, and what better way to have the current setup blasted than by leaving Pitino out? We'd be arguably the best team of all time to be left out and Pitino would be on every show crying foul.

To be clear I don't think that'll be the case since our resume is deserving enough and we'd also give them better TV ratings than other bubble teams. They'll expand it and will use this year as a justification regardless of who is left out, but would be classic St. John's luck.

Okay that's enough posting for now. :ROFLMAO:
Pitino, and pretty much every other coach, is publicly in favor of expanding the tournament. I don't know if Pitino is the type to do a media blitz crying foul, maybe a guy like Izzo is more likely for that, but it's certainly not a bad line of thought.

The tournament is going to expand sooner rather than later. Probably will go to 72 for a couple years, then 80, then finally 96. Sad

Hopefully, this doesn't come to fruition but the new NIT bracketology has us as the #1 seed in the "St. John's Region."

Yesterday was so shitty in every way.

I don't think we'll be able to field a team if we do get invited to the NIT.

Soriano, Jenkins, Dingle, Ledlum, Alleyne have no incentive to play in it so would expect them to pass on it.

If Luis and/or Taylor are planning on transferring they wouldn't play in it.

The only ones that would benefit to play in it are

Sim
Conway
Dunlap
Traore
Zuby

So we have 5 guys, maybe 7 if Luis/Taylor are staying. Better coach up some walk ons if they accept an NIT bid.

I don't think we'll be able to field a team if we do get invited to the NIT.

Soriano, Jenkins, Dingle, Ledlum, Alleyne have no incentive to play in it so would expect them to pass on it.

If Luis and/or Taylor are planning on transferring they wouldn't play in it.

The only ones that would benefit to play in it are

Sim
Conway
Dunlap
Traore
Zuby

So we have 5 guys, maybe 7 if Luis/Taylor are staying. Better coach up some walk ons if they accept an NIT bid.
Idk. I think playing another game in your college career is some type of incentive.

If players don’t want it, I’d make that a prime consideration. If SJ is faced w NIT bid, immediately declare CA a disaster zone to preclude hosting a game w ten fans.
If I’m a kid about to portal for $$$ I’m saying hell no to NIT. Why risk injury. We are going to get to a point where kids are tapping out end of season if they have huge payday the following year for risk of injury unless imo

If players don’t want it, I’d make that a prime consideration. If SJ is faced w NIT bid, immediately declare CA a disaster zone to preclude hosting a game w ten fans.
If they somehow end up hosting an NIT game, I'm totally going because that's the type of thing I do. I'm not saying I'm rooting for it!

I would suggest to Cragg that he price it reasonably, zero dollars sounds about right, but I've gotten the feeling he doesn't value my suggestions.

May as well rename this thread “NIL Bracketology” at this point, since that is the building block of college football and basketball nowadays.

Who actually watches the NIT, other than the players' families and maybe some scouts? I know I don't. It's too depressing for a Power conference team.

Let’s rename it the IDRAFT thread because he’s definitely a better fan then us even though Cragg and the ticket office hate his guts

I’d like to see them use the NIT as a play-in to the NCAAs for bubble teams.

I’d like to see them use the NIT as a play-in to the NCAAs for bubble teams.

Only issue is that'd create far too big of a gap between Selection Sunday and the Tournament, I think the end game is the NIT will be eliminated and they'll add a lot more play-in games by expanding the field.

If we do end up in the NIT, this year I don't really care whether the team accepts or declines a bid. During the CMA / non-NIL years I was very much in favor of accepting to build experience for the following year, but obviously that's not the direction college basketball is heading now, especially for a veteran team like ours.

Whatever the players / coaches decide I'd be good with (and still don't need they'd need to make that decision).

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised if kids on NCAA T teams are actively shopping themselves during it.
Kids, or at least their representatives, are shopping themselves all year long.
There are people who post here who are way more connected than I am and I was aware of more than a few “discussions” between different schools and players all season.

Back