New Facilities Update

The Athletic Department should do some type of survey with the students/alumni/community. I would say many of us preferred previous logos.

Would love a rebrand, as it’s a new era.

I remember they did that a few years back, apparently the logo and brand stayed the same after.

The Athletic Department should do some type of survey with the students/alumni/community. I would say many of us preferred previous logos.

Would love a rebrand, as it’s a new era.

Recall prior to the change of name to “RedStorm” the StJ’s women‘s reams were called the “Express” with a NYC subway car as their logo.

The name “Express” with subway car logo is much- much better than the nebulous name “Red Storm” with its ever changing logo.

Bring back the EXPRESS!

Sits on the footprint of the original Vincentian Residence house. So many great stories of what went on there ! There used to be tunnels underground that connected many of the original buildings on campus including the Vincentian House.
Tunnels? Why? That sort of creeps me out for some reason.

Didn't know that but i know there are tunnels underneath the dorms. Only reason i know because my buddies snuck there during college :)

Well as you now know there are/were tunnels connecting the main buildings near the library quad area.
Back in the 80’s many of the men’s team had summer jobs working for campus security. Their job for some was the overnight shift from 12-8. Well one night, Walter Berry and Terry Bross, were hungry and they knew they could raid the kitchen in the Vincentian Residence from their locations. They had been doing it for weeks. Walter was assigned the Asian Sun Yat Sen building and Terry was in the library. They met up in the Vincentian kitchen by the passageways, grabbed their late night snacks and then had to hide in the kitchen as a late night hungry priest arrived for a snack too. They were terrified they’d get caught and worse if Carnesecca was notified. It continued on the rest of the summer as the rest of the team took their turns too at night. No one was ever caught and the the kitchen staff never realized the missing food.

Well as you now know there are/were tunnels connecting the main buildings near the library quad area.
Back in the 80’s many of the men’s team had summer jobs working for campus security. Their job for some was the overnight shift from 12-8. Well one night, Walter Berry and Terry Bross, were hungry and they knew they could raid the kitchen in the Vincentian Residence from their locations. They had been doing it for weeks. Walter was assigned the Asian Sun Yat Sen building and Terry was in the library. They met up in the Vincentian kitchen by the passageways, grabbed their late night snacks and then had to hide in the kitchen as a late night hungry priest arrived for a snack too. They were terrified they’d get caught and worse if Carnesecca was notified. It continued on the rest of the summer as the rest of the team took their turns too at night. No one was ever caught and the the kitchen staff never realized the missing food.
Until now. Since the NCAA does not have anything worthwhile to do, it would be fitting they somehow find a loophole and retroactively ban SJU from the tournament. 😁

Tunnels? Why? That sort of creeps me out for some reason.
Not uncommon. The purposes for the ones at St. John’s were for use as “utility” tunnels between buildings that share utilities (power, generators, sewers, plumbing, electrical) movement of equipment and material and maintenance. Old Psychiatric Hospitals on Long Island (Pilgrim State, Central Islip and Kings Park) had them also for the same reasons.

Upstate schools have them for that reason and some to get from building to building for students in harsh weather conditions.

Interesting that you said that! Yes we did get in trouble with the NCAA as our Security Director paid our mens hoops players as full time status, gave them the blue FT uniforms while they paid all the other student athletes who worked at security in the summer part time minimum wage with orange shirts and were listed as cadets. Well that came to an end after the NCAA got wind of that around 1988. We didn't get punished but from then on all students were classified as cadets at minimum wage.

Interesting that you said that! Yes we did get in trouble with the NCAA as our Security Director paid our mens hoops players as full time status, gave them the blue FT uniforms while they paid all the other student athletes who worked at security in the summer part time minimum wage with orange shirts and were listed as cadets. Well that came to an end after the NCAA got wind of that around 1988. We didn't get punished but from then on all students were classified as cadets at minimum wage.
And UNC gets slapped on the wrist for decades of No Show Classes and automatic passing grades for their BB, and FB players, well done NCAA.

That is crazy. I guess it is no wonder why college sports is a dysfunctional as it is. The NCAA should have been cut off a long time ago.

I remember Mark Jackson working security (in full security guard uniform) at my older cousins high school graduation ceremony at Alumni Hall in the 1985.
As a young kid talking to him for 5 minutes plus outside the door at Alumni Hall about the basketball team it made my day and summer.

It also made a boring commencement ceremony tolerable.

I'm stilled peeved that Mark Jackson can't land another coaching gig. Steve Kerr (rightfully so) got all of the credit for turning the Warriors around but people often forget that Jackson actually got the Warriors back on track during his tenure there and started the ascent that Kerr continued.

One rumor had it that Jackson didn't get along with people in the front office. Another had it that his strong religious beliefs were an issue;. Either way, he did an admirable job as a head coach and deserved another shot somewhere. In addition, I really miss him with Breen and Van Gundy on TV. They worked so well together and provided great insight for fans. I often wonder why that high successful and entertaining trio was broken up.

Back