New Facilities Update

Down the road, the way things are going, a Big East merger with the ACC might be the best move we can hope for.
And what they can hope for. It's a fundamentally different league once you take out UNC/Duke/Florida State/Clemson/Notre Dame for football. I know UNC/Duke aren't a great football programs, but they are the core of their basketball as well

And what they can hope for. It's a fundamentally different league once you take out UNC/Duke/Florida State/Clemson/Notre Dame for football. I know UNC/Duke aren't a great football programs, but they are the core of their basketball as well
UNC football is light years better than Duke. It is a very solid program.

Would be great if Duke is left behind there, but unlikely.

UNC football is light years better than Duke. It is a very solid program.

Would be great if Duke is left behind there, but unlikely.
Duke and football--look at the job Jones is doing for the Giants 😱;) and that answers the question of the level of Duke football.

$3 million! Yes! Moola Moola! Big bucks!

It's 1/5th of what Syracuse got from NY taxpayers ($15M) to build the Carrier Dome..... in 1979 approved by Gov. Hugh Carey, a double graduate of St. John's.

It's 1/5th of what Syracuse got from NY taxpayers ($15M) to build the Carrier Dome..... in 1979 approved by Gov. Hugh Carey, a double graduate of St. John's.
Always thought while a St. John’s grad was Governor and the Olympics were being held in NY (1980) and they were using Alumni Hall as one venue was the time to get public funds to help build a better on campus facility.

Hate to tell you but the University of Syracuse scored $20M in 2022 to rehab the facility formerly know as the Carrier Dome.

Give SU credit; for the past several decades it has hired plugged in lobbyists who seek funding for construction of several buildings and funding for programs on its private school campus.

and a bullshitting Irish American politician from Pete Hamill's Park Slope Brooklyn.
I represent that remark. My family knew Pete and I chatted with him a number of times. He was a great writer who did not leave the neighborhood but remained a life long Sloper. His Shirley MacLaine/Farrells story still makes me laugh. As to Hugh, I know of few of his kids and they are great people and I know someone who worked for him and Cuomo and there was no comparison--Hugh was a much nicer guy than Mario (another SJ grad)

Hate to tell you but the University of Syracuse scored $20M in 2022 to rehab the facility formerly know as the Carrier Dome.

Give SU credit; for the past several decades it has hired plugged in lobbyists who seek funding for construction of several buildings and funding for programs on its private school campus.

I'm not even saying this to be facetious, but have we attempted to get state funding to rehab Carnesseca?

I represent that remark. My family knew Pete and I chatted with him a number of times. He was a great writer who did not leave the neighborhood but remained a life long Sloper. His Shirley MacLaine/Farrells story still makes me laugh. As to Hugh, I know of few of his kids and they are great people and I know someone who worked for him and Cuomo and there was no comparison--Hugh was a much nicer guy than Mario (another SJ grad)
Pete moved to and lived in Manhattan for over 30 years and dated not only Shirley McLain but Jackie O.

I worked on Carey's campaigns as a close friend of mine was on Carey's staff. He was a good guy.

Mario Cuomo another double grad of SJU.

I'm not even saying this to be facetious, but have we attempted to get state funding to rehab Carnesseca?

The spin that the University of Syracuse has used to justify state funding for its athletic facilities to pass the smell test has been to agree tha the high schools or other civic groups can have access (albeit extremely limited but access to the facility nevertheless). For example the NYS football championships are hosted at the Carrier Dome (n/k/a the JMA Wireless Dome).

I don’t know but I doubt that our beloved StJ’s has a processional lobbying firm.

Pete moved to and lived in Manhattan for over 30 years and dated not only Shirley McLain but Jackie O.

I worked on Carey's campaigns as a close friend of mine was on Carey's staff. He was a good guy.

Mario Cuomo another double grad of SJU.

Maybe you can explain something to me about Hugh, then. I met him at a party at the governor's mansion in 1976. Very few recollections of anything about it (I mean I was 13, c'mon man) except that his co-host for the event was Kitty Carlisle. Why was that?

Maybe you can explain something to me about Hugh, then. I met him at a party at the governor's mansion in 1976. Very few recollections of anything about it (I mean I was 13, c'mon man) except that his co-host for the event was Kitty Carlisle. Why was that?
He probably wanted the inside track on a “What’s My Line” gig

Hugh Carey's first wife died in 1974, and he married again in 1981, 1976 was his second year of his first term as Governor and he ran in elite Manhattan social circles, and Kitty Carlisle Hart was in those circles. She was appointed by him to be Chairwoman of the NYS Council on the Arts. Carey and Felix Rohatyn rescued NYC from the brink of bankruptcy in the mid 1970's, with cooperation from many sectors and ultimately help from Washington D.C.

Hugh Carey's first wife died in 1974, and he married again in 1981, 1976 was his second year of his first term as Governor and he ran in elite Manhattan social circles, and Kitty Carlisle Hart was in those circles. She was appointed by him to be Chairwoman of the NYS Council on the Arts. Carey and Felix Rohatyn rescued NYC from the brink of bankruptcy in the mid 1970's, with cooperation from many sectors and ultimately help from Washington D.C.
Also Commissioner of NYC Department of Consumer Affairs.

Didn’t Carey live on the Upper East Side in his later years around York Avenue?

The spin that the University of Syracuse has used to justify state funding for its athletic facilities to pass the smell test has been to agree tha the high schools or other civic groups can have access (albeit extremely limited but access to the facility nevertheless). For example the NYS football championships are hosted at the Carrier Dome (n/k/a the JMA Wireless Dome).

I don’t know but I doubt that our beloved StJ’s has a processional lobbying firm.
When St. John’s was looking to move their baseball facility, the has almost come to an agreement to build one on the Creedmore State Hospital grounds (they had an old baseball field complete with a grandstand there which had fallen into disrepair). Mayor Giuliani had made a deal with both the Yankees and the Mets for them to have a Class A or Rookie ball team in the City (Staten Island for the Yankees, Brooklyn for the Mets). The Brooklyn site at Coney Island was not going to be ready for the teams first season. A deal was struck and the City paid for the field to be built at St. John’s with the Cyclones using if for a year and St. John’s allowing local city leagues to use it (I am not sure for how long). In the past, St.John’s typically allowed for the use of Alumni Hall for basketball tournaments and playoffs, summer league teams on occasion had used the baseball field and St. Francis Prep used the football field for some home games.

With the stadium being paid for by another, this would have been the perfect opportunity to figure out how to use the space between Belson Stadium (Soccer) and Kaiser Field (Baseball) and incorporate that space the Belson structure to allow for legitimate locker rooms for the Soccer Teams and provide a legitimate locker room for the baseball team (moving them out of Carnesecca Arena). Instead we still have wasted space and insufficient locker rooms for three programs (There’s the right way, the wrong way and the St. John’s way).

The franchise was not the Cyclones but the Toronto Blue Jays rookie ball team. part of the agreement was to house the players in our dorms, which ended up being a terrible idea. (Several players had to be released as they had relations with local underage women) I had to share my training room with their trainer. My office was given to the Blue Jays manager (against my wishes) and they trashed my training room every night when they were home. Pizza boxes left all over, they had no respect for SJU. SJU told me to allow them to use my supplies and all my equipment which they abused. They were also given use of our weight room against the protests of the strength and conditioning staff. They five finger discounted themselves to our energy bars and Gatorade, used up all of our supply of Gatorade promotional cups intended to be used for OUR athletes. Hundreds of towels disappeared from my training room and equipment room. They even trashed my golf cart.

And after the season was over, don’t ya know the Blue Jays athletic trainer then called me and wanted to apply for an open staff position at SJU. That was a quick NO thank you!
The following off season, the Blue Jays moved their franchise somewhere else and the Mets took over the Cyclones ball park which then hosted the Big East baseball tournament for a brief time. Traffic and hotel costs drove the Big East elsewhere. It also saddled SJU with a ridiculous amount of outside events we were mandated by the city to host. It went on for 6-7 years as part of the agreement. And the field could no longer sustain all the events on the grass. It was shot too.

The franchise was not the Cyclones but the Toronto Blue Jays rookie ball team. part of the agreement was to house the players in our dorms, which ended up being a terrible idea. (Several players had to be released as they had relations with local underage women) I had to share my training room with their trainer. My office was given to the Blue Jays manager (against my wishes) and they trashed my training room every night when they were home. Pizza boxes left all over, they had no respect for SJU. SJU told me to allow them to use my supplies and all my equipment which they abused. They were also given use of our weight room against the protests of the strength and conditioning staff. They five finger discounted themselves to our energy bars and Gatorade, used up all of our supply of Gatorade promotional cups intended to be used for OUR athletes. Hundreds of towels disappeared from my training room and equipment room. They even trashed my golf cart.

And after the season was over, don’t ya know the Blue Jays athletic trainer then called me and wanted to apply for an open staff position at SJU. That was a quick NO thank you!
The following off season, the Blue Jays moved their franchise somewhere else and the Mets took over the Cyclones ball park which then hosted the Big East baseball tournament for a brief time. Traffic and hotel costs drove the Big East elsewhere. It also saddled SJU with a ridiculous amount of outside events we were mandated by the city to host. It went on for 6-7 years as part of the agreement. And the field could no longer sustain all the events on the grass. It was shot too.
I think they were the Queens Kings or Kings of Queens if i remember right. Mets short A was Pittsfield MA. I remember going to a game at Camp Pontiac.

Back