New Facilities Update

The franchise was not the Cyclones but the Toronto Blue Jays rookie ball team. part of the agreement was to house the players in our dorms, which ended up being a terrible idea. (Several players had to be released as they had relations with local underage women) I had to share my training room with their trainer. My office was given to the Blue Jays manager (against my wishes) and they trashed my training room every night when they were home. Pizza boxes left all over, they had no respect for SJU. SJU told me to allow them to use my supplies and all my equipment which they abused. They were also given use of our weight room against the protests of the strength and conditioning staff. They five finger discounted themselves to our energy bars and Gatorade, used up all of our supply of Gatorade promotional cups intended to be used for OUR athletes. Hundreds of towels disappeared from my training room and equipment room. They even trashed my golf cart.

And after the season was over, don’t ya know the Blue Jays athletic trainer then called me and wanted to apply for an open staff position at SJU. That was a quick NO thank you!
The following off season, the Blue Jays moved their franchise somewhere else and the Mets took over the Cyclones ball park which then hosted the Big East baseball tournament for a brief time. Traffic and hotel costs drove the Big East elsewhere. It also saddled SJU with a ridiculous amount of outside events we were mandated by the city to host. It went on for 6-7 years as part of the agreement. And the field could no longer sustain all the events on the grass. It was shot too.
Thanks, I didn’t realize it was a Blue Jays franchise that year at Kaiser and the Mets took it over the following year when they moved to their new home in Brooklyn and were renamed the Cyclones as part of a naming contest.

Hate to tell you but the University of Syracuse scored $20M in 2022 to rehab the facility formerly know as the Carrier Dome.

Give SU credit; for the past several decades it has hired plugged in lobbyists who seek funding for construction of several buildings and funding for programs on its private school campus.

SU may be able to sell the need for public money more easily by emphasizing its "partnership" with neighboring SUNY College of Environmental Science.

I know someone in the know who advised that at least preY2K St. John's was loathe to take advantage of some of the state funds available to centers for higher education. Unsure if there were strings attached or what other reason there was for such a position.

I know someone in the know who advised that at least preY2K St. John's was loathe to take advantage of some of the state funds available to centers for higher education. Unsure if there were strings attached or what other reason there was for such a position.
I’ve heard the same.

Getting back to the baseball field and the grass issue, several early home games being canceled or moved, Anton Goff was able to get an “all-season” turf field installed which several local schools had. This cut down on the cancelled games.

That was because if we accepted these Federal Funds the University had to remove all the crucifixes from the classrooms and offices. I think they used to call it Bundy funding or something similar. Back in the 80’s and 90’s every room on campus had a crucifix on the walls. I don’t believe that is the case now. I know when they built Taffner they did not install crucifix's in any rooms.

That was because if we accepted these Federal Funds the University had to remove all the crucifixes from the classrooms and offices. I think they used to call it Bundy funding or something similar. Back in the 80’s and 90’s every room on campus had a crucifix on the walls. I don’t believe that is the case now. I know when they built Taffner they did not install crucifix's in any rooms.
Thanks for sharing that. Back in the 90s, the Sewanhaka school district approached a local Catholic church that had a school and offered to rent the classrooms for after school or weekend programs for a year provided they remove the crucifixes. Their pastor a tough Irish priest name Hickey, responded by saying, "Look, we really need the money to keep the doors open here, but I won't remove the crucifixes. If you don't allow us to keep them up I will close the school and you will have 180 more kids in the district that will cost you far more than the $$ you are offering."
The district relented and the crucifoxes stayed up.

Thanks for sharing that. Back in the 90s, the Sewanhaka school district approached a local Catholic church that had a school and offered to rent the classrooms for after school or weekend programs for a year provided they remove the crucifixes. Their pastor a tough Irish priest name Hickey, responded by saying, "Look, we really need the money to keep the doors open here, but I won't remove the crucifixes. If you don't allow us to keep them up I will close the school and you will have 180 more kids in the district that will cost you far more than the $$ you are offering."
The district relented and the crucifoxes stayed up.
St. Vincent de Paul in Elmont?

As a result, campus vampire attacks are at an all-time high.

If that’s a real picture, they should withhold payment to the contractor. If they’re dumb enough to install that seat I would check their credentials for being a legitimate contractor.
Joke alert 😂

Back