New Facilities Update

Probably yes unless they build another garage near the right field baseball area which is faculty parking now! Maybe they have done studies that less students park on campus with higher car insurance rates and remote learning. 🤷🏻
There’s a decent amount of room over there to build something double the footprint of Taffner along Union Turnpike. My first thought when I read where it would be and that parking wouldn’t be impacted was either they will build a garage underneath or on the east side of Belson. Also a facility there could double as locker rooms for the soccer program.

This maximizes space and leaves a lot for a Carnesecca Arena rebuild if they choose to do so next. I’m excited to see some renderings and plans.

If the student rec center moves to Taffner, and the general exercise facility moves there, could make it easier CA at to expand on one side in future. Unlikely though. Xavier's Cintas really only has 3 sides.

Just confirmed the new basketball only practice facility will be in the footprint of the staff/admin parking lot right inside gate 4 running parallel to the outside iron gates on Union Turnpike. Rec sports taking over Taffner for much needed student usage. Good for them!
How far down does the reserved go In the map you posted before it gets to general?

There’s a decent amount of room over there to build something double the footprint of Taffner along Union Turnpike. My first thought when I read where it would be and that parking wouldn’t be impacted was either they will build a garage underneath or on the east side of Belson. Also a facility there could double as locker rooms for the soccer program.

This maximizes space and leaves a lot for a Carnesecca Arena rebuild if they choose to do so next. I’m excited to see some renderings and plans.
I have a feeling that since these two 3–4 year projects are being announced before any mention of a Carnesecca rebuild, then many on this site will be drooling and asking who is Johnny by the time there is a new Carnesecca arena!

First of all Mark Jackson was my All Time SJU Ironman! Even if I hinted for him to take off practices or games to get therapy, the man would just tune me out! Matt Brust was another. D’Angelo was tough with a high pain tolerance level, but his injuries kept him from truly attaining top 10 SJU status. Hardy was durable and hardly ever missed practice or games. Remember that back in the 80’s-90’s-00’s and 2010 era there was hardly any recovery like today, just days off with therapy . During the Lavin era is when players started to do warm/cold tanks, recovery boots, Thera guns, and wearable portable recovery muscle stim units.
Big credit goes to former AD Anton Goff. His first year SJU received a huge one time payout from the NCAA and it was supposed to be earmarked for student athlete welfare. All D1 schools got it. Mental health, nutrition, and sports medicine. Anton called me into his office and told me he has given me almost $400,000 from these funds and to buy whatever recovery and therapy equipment we needed for both sports medicine rooms. He wanted my staff to be the best equipped in the Big East! And we soon became the best. Each of my staff AT had a full complement of gear to travel with on the road and soon became the envy of most Big East staffs once they heard and saw what Anton did. We completely redid both sports medicine rooms with all new modern therapy tables and modalities and refitted our Dr. examination room too. Many other schools did not utilize their funds like we did!
View attachment 2252View attachment 2253
Great stuff!

My first sports medicine room…it was so small and ancient that they were embarrassed to even show me on my interview in 1981. They knew I’d never accept the position as coming from Princeton we had great facilities. They told me nobody could find the keys 🤣
Here are two pics of the dungeon from my second year. I paid for carpeting the room myself, and hand painted the conference logos on the wall at night with a track athlete that was an art major. They had no therapy units, the two units on the far left were mine from my stint in pro baseball with the Indians that I had to purchase in 1978, and I got the school to buy me those two units under the SJU logo. And remember that back then we had over 500 athletes with 27 sports including football. Talk about a madhouse!View attachment 2254View attachment 2256
Ah yes, I remember it well.

How far down does the reserved go In the map you posted before it gets to general?
Not sure…when I was there the reserve spots were only on the side next to Union Turnpike, maybe 40 spots. Many people stopped paying for reserve spots since they raised the price to $250 or higher. Also, if a student did park in your spot you were screwed and had to find parking somewhere else. And if another reserve parking person parked in your spot and you parked in someone else’s, you got ticketed by security.

Just confirmed the new basketball only practice facility will be in the footprint of the staff/admin parking lot right inside gate 4 running parallel to the outside iron gates on Union Turnpike. Rec sports taking over Taffner for much needed student usage. Good for them!
I thought they might try to do something with the parking lot and old ROTC center near the dorms. A multi story facility with an area for softball lockers and practice area.

Help me understand how a new practice facility will help recruiting? Do the kids want their own locker and shower? We have a basketball court to practice and apparently a new weight room? What are the positives? IMO a complete renovation of CA is a better bang for the buck.

Help me understand how a new practice facility will help recruiting? Do the kids want their own locker and shower? We have a basketball court to practice and apparently a new weight room? What are the positives? IMO a complete renovation of CA is a better bang for the buck.
There are plenty of schools that have NBA-level quality practice facilities. It's not about pampering kids, it's about convincing them that our facilities can enable them to develop into pros. I'm sure there are high school programs that have better facilities than we do.

Check out Providence and you'll get idea what it takes to keep up w/ other schools.

Back