NCAA Tournament

UConn was the best team in the country this year. They earned their stripes in the big east. They have the best team overall inside and out.
I thought the league was going to be weaker with Jay Wright retiring. But the league was deeper this year then ever.
Was definitely worried that the BE was Nova and nobody. But clearly that was not a real concern. And if St John's and GT can at least get back to top 25 contenders we could be back to the golden years. The conference is still very weak at bottom though with no hope for them right now. And look for Providence to drop off big time.

Last edited:
Donovan Clingan is a beefier Chet Holmgren. If he does not go pro he will eventually be a national POY contender. I don't remember a freshman I have seen, ever, who is so productive per minute.

Donovan Clingan is a beefier Chet Holmgren. If he does not go pro he will eventually be a national POY contender. I don't remember a freshman I have seen, ever, who is so productive per minute.
They are both very good and elite shot blockers. But personally, other than that and being really tall I don’t see any comparisons on The offensive end.

It must be a charmed existance to be a UConn fan. They are about to cruise to another title. How is it they never even lose one of these title games. No wonder they are so entitled.

It must be a charmed existance to be a UConn fan. They are about to cruise to another title. How is it they never even lose one of these title games. No wonder they are so entitled.
I've unfriended my friends of friends who I was friends with on facebook who root for Uconn the last week and I've snoozed for 30 days my Uconn friends. My newsfeed looks pretty good right now just advertisements and food pics

You made the cut though since you root for St Johns. :)

I maintain it’s a much harder feat not to have win an NCAA tournament game in 23 years nor gotten to a BET semifinal in 23 years than it has been for Uconn to win their 5 NCs. 🤪

Somewhere on this site back in November I said I thought UConn could win the National Championship. When we shocked them in Storrs back on January 15th I wrote this as part of my surprise at that game:

"I really despise UConn more than just about any other team, but after I saw them destroy Alabama (currently #4) and Iowa State (currently #14) I thought they were a strong national championship contender and could possibly go undefeated in Big East play."

I remember someone on this site referencing how ridiculous that some poster (they were referring to me) thought that UConn was the best team in the country. This was said, when they were 5 and 6 in Big East play and struggling. Their slump, that started 12/31/2022 and went through 1/25/2023 where they went 2-6 over an eight games stretch, was aberrational. Other than that period, they were 29 and 2 this season. Outside the Big East they went 17 and 0 and won every single one of those 17 games by double digits. In a tournament that was marked by huge upsets, they stuck out by dominating every game.

I take no joy in their success, but their tournament run was not unexpected and fulfilled the promise they showed during their very strong play during their non-conference schedule.

Last edited:
Somewhere on this site back in November I said I thought UConn could win the National Championship. When we shocked them in Storrs back on January 15th I wrote this as part of my surprise at that game:

"I really despise UConn more than just about any other team, but after I saw them destroy Alabama (currently #4) and Iowa State (currently #14) I thought they were a strong national championship contender and could possibly go undefeated in Big East play."

I remember someone on this site referencing how ridiculous that some poster (they were referring to me) thought that UConn was the best team in the country. This was said, when they were 5 and 6 in Big East play and struggling. Their slump, that started 12/31/2022 and went through 1/25/2023 where they went 2-6 over an eight games stretch, was aberrational. Other than that period, they were 29 and 2 this season. Outside the Big East they went 17 and 0 and won every single one of those 17 games by double digits. In a tournament that was marked by huge upsets, they stuck out by dominating every game.

I take no joy in their success, but their tournament run was not unexpected and fulfilled the promise they showed during their very strong play during their non-conference schedule.

Maybe the poster felt the comment about them going undefeated in BE play was ridiculous? Which it kinda was as they finished in 4th place of the BE standings.

But good call on them being a National Championship contender!

From ESPN -

"The good news for the Big East is that it has earned 15 units in the current NCAA tournament, which means in the six seasons from 2023-24 to 2028-29, the league will receive nearly $30 million in NCAA tournament payouts. That's quite a haul for the league's members to split, especially considering they had budgeted for seven units and just $14 million. (That's nearly $1.5 million extra per school.)"

From ESPN -

"The good news for the Big East is that it has earned 15 units in the current NCAA tournament, which means in the six seasons from 2023-24 to 2028-29, the league will receive nearly $30 million in NCAA tournament payouts. That's quite a haul for the league's members to split, especially considering they had budgeted for seven units and just $14 million. (That's nearly $1.5 million extra per school.)"

I look forward to the day when St. John's begins to earn its keep.

Hopefully that day is next March.

Back