Mike Repole Piece

“I’m going to commit whatever it takes,” Repole told The Post in a phone interview Wednesday night. “I don’t think there’s going to be any alumni from any other Big East school that’s going to give to their alma mater more than I can. If there is, I would like to meet him. I just want to make sure everybody knows that.”
Has he met Jerry Jones?

Roach - yes- i would be extremely happy lol

Please don't confuse bringing his own statements up as giving him "crap"... It's highlighting the fact that NIL shouldn't be as big an issue based on his own words...

A kid might not like living on Union and Utopia...i respect that, that's fine...I just didn't think $ would be an issue this recruiting cycle based on what was said.
Is it? You know personally?

I’m done with this. Jesus. The guy is one of the most successful alums of this college, a college I didn’t even friggin go to, said he wants to back the program as much as he can and he gets assumptions and whispers because we don’t have a full roster 2 weeks after the season is over.

That is hardly fair to the guy

And Repole worth being over a billion dollars makes his rhetoric have weight to it. Him paying Roach that Trilly # would be 0.1% of his actual net worth. That's right, less than 1%.
Has it even been a thought that the head coach, not Repole, doesn’t want him for that kind of money?

Has it even been a thought that the head coach, not Repole, doesn’t want him for that kind of money?
Roach himself debunked the figure as well. If you want to say I jumped the gun with rolling my eyes, more than fair enough. lol

Everyone is entitled to whatever it is they want to think. It’s not just about the money though, you can’t argue that. So giving Repole a hard time about any recruit just isn’t right. If he didn’t go to this college and didn’t care about the sport, we’d be in major trouble though. No doubt in my mind.

I have avoided getting too excited about the transfer portal(free agency). Factually I know some billionaires turn their back on their Alma Mater. Mike Repole could have but he is invigorated by Pitino.

I believe Repole and Pitino are doing everything they can to make the basketball program more successful. I am no position to judge others.

Would it be great if he gave $5 million every Jan. 1? Of course, but probably not happening and I'd never demand or expect that.

But just because we haven't landed anyone yet doesn't mean his words were hollow.

We have money, so I don't think we're pestering Repole until Rick really needs to play that card.

Right now I think staff is still in ROI phase. I don't think Cliff has any real desire to leave the area but we don't like his price. If we offered what he's asking I believe he'd shut down other visits now. Think staff is truly balking at the price though.

I keep mentioning RJ Davis, mostly jokingly, but if he entered portal, that's a name Pitino calls Repole up for.

Fland, I think we call Repole up for. Mostly because he wants to leave the area so the price to convince him to stay would be crazy.

Richmond, I know the board is torn on him but you can't argue with the results. If he comes out he'll be looking for $1 million. You call Repole up for him too I think.

Wagner, you call Repole up for because I think he'd increase his scoring by 75 percent with real coaching and a clear path to a starting job.

Would it be great if he gave $5 million every Jan. 1? Of course, but probably not happening and I'd never demand or expect that.

But just because we haven't landed anyone yet doesn't mean his words were hollow.

We have money, so I don't think we're pestering Repole until Rick really needs to play that card.

Right now I think staff is still in ROI phase. I don't think Cliff has any real desire to leave the area but we don't like his price. If we offered what he's asking I believe he'd shut down other visits now. Think staff is truly balking at the price though.

I keep mentioning RJ Davis, mostly jokingly, but if he entered portal, that's a name Pitino calls Repole up for.

Fland, I think we call Repole up for. Mostly because he wants to leave the area so the price to convince him to stay would be crazy.

Richmond, I know the board is torn on him but you can't argue with the results. If he comes out he'll be looking for $1 million. You call Repole up for him too I think.

Wagner, you call Repole up for because I think he'd increase his scoring by 75 percent with real coaching and a clear path to a starting job.
Pretty much agree with everything here except Fland. I'd be very surprised if a freshman PG is worth the kind of NIL he will likely pull.

Repole could drop another M to make it $2.5M for Roach like we fill up our gas tanks. Again, it’s folly to go down the “nope not worth it” road. But we will not land true national difference makers with that mindset. I know a guy looking for a simple starter home right now in good area but he refuses to pay $500k+. He wants to pay $400k and everything on his terms because it’s not worth $500k. Guess what? He’s still looking. The market sets the price and the value is what people are willing to pay. If it takes $2M or more just do it and beg Repole to win this. Could be diff between top 25 top 5 seed & missing NCAAT like Clayton last yr.

I'll sell him my garage but he'll have to build his own ADU.

I agree with the person who said you call Repole for certain game changing players if you know you can land them. Other than that , you just accept whatever he gives and be grateful. I think what Repole probably meant by his statements is that if one or more of these type of players becomes available to us and they want to come here he will make it happen. I think we’ll be fine when this all shakes out.

Keep Repole in the loop and connected—Executive GM.

Repole already is a major NIL donor and without him the 2024-25 roster would not have been possible. I don't think Rick is inclined to sign million dollar players, nor do I think Repole is going to be the chief financier of a $5-8 million roster. As we've seen, high priced NIL recipients can be busts, can get injured, or do any of the dumb things college kids do to Curb your appetite for them.

Yes Repole is wealthy, but tyson chicken is valued at $21 billion, and a major Arkansas NIL donor. Repole is already pulling more than his fair share but $2.5 million for a single player is probably not in the cards in my opinion.

It's fun to think about. .

So much fun, I can't write what I'm thinking, which would be hilarious.

Repole already is a major NIL donor and without him the 2024-25 roster would not have been possible. I don't think Rick is inclined to sign million dollar players, nor do I think Repole is going to be the chief financier of a $5-8 million roster. As we've seen, high priced NIL recipients can be busts, can get injured, or do any of the dumb things college kids do to Curb your appetite for them.

Yes Repole is wealthy, but tyson chicken is valued at $21 billion, and a major Arkansas NIL donor. Repole is already pulling more than his fair share but $2.5 million for a single player is probably not in the cards in my opinion.

It's fun to think about. .

So much fun, I can't write what I'm thinking, which would be hilarious.
Also, you might know but I don’t. Is Repole a major donor in plans for the facility overhaul. St. John’s needs a lot of money for all its future needs. More than a $1.5 million one-year center.

To those that are shaming posters about Repole... i mean... look at more of his quotes...

"“Father Shanley and Bill Janetschek and [athletic director] Mike Cragg stuck their neck out with a hire like Rick, and Rick really stuck his neck out by taking on this challenge at 71 years old,” Repole said. “And you know what? I’m just ready to make sure that most people know I’m in, I’m all in."

How else do you expect Fans to take this...
I'm very critical of Repole but understand he loves St John's and has been generous, very generous to the school. He may have capacity to give more than anyone else, but he hasn't done that yet. Like some other public people, he has to talk less sometimes.

Peter D'Angelo was a major benefactor for the building that bears his surname, and THEN dropped $15 million on the new Health Sciences building and another $5 million on scholarhsips for our students in healthcare majors. Bill and Leslie Collins dropped $10 million on the school of Professional studies after years of being a major donor. The Brennans financed St. Thomas More church and were major athletic dept donors. The Mattone family same for law. On and on.

It's his money and Mike has already done "his fair share" but damn if he wants to talk like our biggest donor drop $50 million to finance NIL in perpetuity.

Honestly, he is really considering stepping it up in other directions so am very thankful and appreciative of what he has already done.

Anybody that donates money to the program i give a lot of credit too. Especially with the NIL it’s not a tax right off. I was told never tell someone how to spend their money ( I am not a financial advisor). They’re a lot of good folks who give to the program. I think R&W is great especially this year. The only big criticism I heard of Mike Repole is that he’s not always on time with what he promised. That doesn’t mean he won’t do it but it’s on his terms. Mike Repole has earned that right.

Anybody that donates money to the program i give a lot of credit too. Especially with the NIL it’s not a tax right off. I was told never tell someone how to spend their money ( I am not a financial advisor). They’re a lot of good folks who give to the program. I think R&W is great especially this year. The only big criticism I heard of Mike Repole is that he’s not always on time with what he promised. That doesn’t mean he won’t do it but it’s on his terms. Mike Repole has earned that right.
Maybe he’s not on time with his payments because Mike Francesa is his bagman.

Back